Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldis this Sunday

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...?WT.z_src=main

I've not seen the 4w mains adaptor that plugs directly into a socket
before - anyone any experience with this.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...?WT.z_src=main

I've not seen the 4w mains adaptor that plugs directly into a socket
before - anyone any experience with this.

No. Presumably that knob attempts to lock the thing in place? But From
the look of it, you could accidentally apply a *lot* of leverage to the
plug part, snapped-off pins anyone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...?WT.z_src=main

I've not seen the 4w mains adaptor that plugs directly into a socket
before - anyone any experience with this.

Rob

It looks like it has some kind of built-in clamp to stop it falling out
of the socket (which would be at best an inconvenience and at worse a
significant safety issue). The clamp may or may not work effectively and
safely and it may or may not be possible for the sockets to be live
without the clamp working properly.

For sure, I wouldn't buy one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Osborne" wrote in message
robgraham wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...?WT.z_src=main

I've not seen the 4w mains adaptor that plugs directly into a socket
before - anyone any experience with this.

Rob

It looks like it has some kind of built-in clamp to stop it falling out of
the socket (which would be at best an inconvenience and at worse a
significant safety issue). The clamp may or may not work effectively and
safely and it may or may not be possible for the sockets to be live
without the clamp working properly.

For sure, I wouldn't buy one.

The description says...
"Unit rotates to allow fitting in confined spaces"

so I expect that thing is just a means for that, rather than a clamp.

I have seen ones before that don't rotate, they just plug in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 May, 13:13, Cicero wrote:

There are variants available - I have a couple with a fifth 'plug-through'
socket which plugs directly into the wall socket. I've had no problems but
I wouldn't recommend them where they can be knocked by small children,
dogs, etc.

Would they be OK for a school workshop?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...?WT.z_src=main

I've not seen the 4w mains adaptor that plugs directly into a socket
before - anyone any experience with this.

Rob

I brought a 3 & 4 way one.
http://onecall.farnell.com/jsp/searc...sp?SKU=PL10030

The trouble I have with them is that when plugged in they don';t always
lay flat as it depends on what's below. It might work for some skirting
boards
but others might just makle the block unstable and likliy to fall out.
I got them with the idea that at least no one would fall over a trailing
lead.
Teh 4 way one had a cut-out too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Dingley
saying something like:

On 7 May, 13:13, Cicero wrote:

There are variants available - I have a couple with a fifth 'plug-through'
socket which plugs directly into the wall socket. I've had no problems but
I wouldn't recommend them where they can be knocked by small children,
dogs, etc.

Would they be OK for a school workshop?

An Inspector (by the name of Hansen) Calls.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...?WT.z_src=main

I've not seen the 4w mains adaptor that plugs directly into a socket
before - anyone any experience with this.

Rob

It looks like it has some kind of built-in clamp to stop it falling
out of the socket (which would be at best an inconvenience and at
worse a significant safety issue). The clamp may or may not work
effectively and safely and it may or may not be possible for the
sockets to be live without the clamp working properly.

For sure, I wouldn't buy one.

The description says...
"Unit rotates to allow fitting in confined spaces"

so I expect that thing is just a means for that, rather than a clamp.

I have seen ones before that don't rotate, they just plug in.

We have the same thing in our kitchen, although it didn't come from Aldi.
The knob & button aren't a clamp, they allow you to rotate the pins so the
entire thing can be either portait or landscape and eithet above or below
the socket. The picture shows it above, ours is below cos the socket is
under a cupboard. Had it for ages, no problems.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:

I've not seen the 4w mains adaptor that plugs directly into a socket
before - anyone any experience with this.

Couldn't think of anything worse. Better off with a trailing one with
mounting holes if it's likely to be in one place for a length of time
and you don't want it on the floor.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...?WT.z_src=main

I've not seen the 4w mains adaptor that plugs directly into a socket
before - anyone any experience with this.

Rob

It looks like it has some kind of built-in clamp to stop it falling out
of the socket (which would be at best an inconvenience and at worse a
significant safety issue). The clamp may or may not work effectively and
safely and it may or may not be possible for the sockets to be live
without the clamp working properly.

For sure, I wouldn't buy one.

The description says...
"Unit rotates to allow fitting in confined spaces"

so I expect that thing is just a means for that, rather than a clamp.

I have seen ones before that don't rotate, they just plug in.

I have some of these

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/60887/...-Skt-Converter

much better than the plug in ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 May 2010 17:35:29 +0100, Scott M
wrote:

Couldn't think of anything worse. Better off with a trailing one with
mounting holes if it's likely to be in one place for a length of time
and you don't want it on the floor.

They are a classic illustration of the dangers of letting numpty
politicians out unattended. Part Pee quadrupled the price of having
extra sockets installed so it created a market for these cheaper
alternatives instead.

That they were going to be far less safe than the vast majority of
even DIY sockets was far beyond the limited comprehension of Prescott
and other Nulabor pocketliners.

Lidl on Sunday PeterC UK diy 0 June 5th 09 02:20 PM
Aldis Bench Drill The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 23 June 5th 06 12:53 AM
Thots on a Sunday..... Nick Leeson Woodworking 0 December 21st 05 10:10 AM
B&Q 10% off everything until sunday . UK diy 1 November 18th 05 07:53 AM
Sunday dissapointment Tom Gardner Metalworking 11 February 8th 05 05:05 AM