Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Those wonderful 1970's

Tim Streater :
In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:

Tim Streater :
In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:

Tim Streater :
I should prolly get the crossovers on the IMFs done, though, also.
I recommend these people: http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/

Parts only, though?

AFAIK yes, but resoldering capacitors should be OK for a uk.d-i-yer
I'd
have thought. For my speakers Falcon sold complete crossovers with
improved circuitry, which made the job a bit easier.

True, but these speakers are not small or light:

http://www.marklev.com/IMF/Promon/promonmkiii.html

Bloody heavy in fact. And it's non-obvious how to get to the x-over too
:-)

For mine the original publicity
http://www.saturn-sound.com/images%2...udio%20r50.jpg
boasts that they're "quite inconveniently (98 lbs) heavy" but that's
pretty lightweight compared with those.

Falcon will no doubt be able to put you in contact with someone able to
fit their caps to your speakers. IME it's that sort of company.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
Tim Streater :
In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:

Tim Streater :
I should prolly get the crossovers on the IMFs done, though, also.
I recommend these people: http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/

Parts only, though?

AFAIK yes, but resoldering capacitors should be OK for a uk.d-i-yer

I'd
have thought. For my speakers Falcon sold complete crossovers with
improved circuitry, which made the job a bit easier.
True, but these speakers are not small or light:
http://www.marklev.com/IMF/Promon/promonmkiii.html
Bloody heavy in fact. And it's non-obvious how to get to the

x-over too :-)
usually by removing the bass drivers.

Then normally the X over can be removed through that aperture.

Ah - so if I take out the driver I should be able to see the x-over?
Presumably it'd only be the caps that need replacing?

rare to even see those - only the bass unit filter needs big ones

Nice speakers..

Yes - had them since 1974. The Formica's coming adrift a bit near the
corners but I can prolly reglue that and fix with escutcheon pins.

definitely!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 13, 8:45*pm, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
*Mike Barnes wrote:

Tim Streater :
In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:

Tim Streater :

*http://www.saturn-sound.com/images%2...%20-%20cambrid...
* dio%20r50.jpg
boasts that they're "quite inconveniently (98 lbs) heavy" but that's
pretty lightweight compared with those.

Falcon will no doubt be able to put you in contact with someone able to
fit their caps to your speakers. IME it's that sort of company.

Thanks for that. If TNP's notion applies to my units, I may be able to
do it myself (soldering's OK, but I couldn't face dismantling something
that large).

It is the normal access method.