Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

Default Those wonderful 1970's

After 40 years of almost continuous service, this week I took my
faithful (sic) Reader's Digest pine bed to the dump, probably to re-
incarnate as chipboard.

It seemed an appropriate moment to ask if other readers have memories
they would like to share (or NOT share !) of this symbol of 1970's
DIY ?
Greetings
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rob writes:
After 40 years of almost continuous service, this week I took my
faithful (sic) Reader's Digest pine bed to the dump, probably to re-
incarnate as chipboard.

Did it come in little pieces stuck to the cover, spread over 500 issues,
to be painstakingly stuck together?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 8:15*am, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Rob writes:

After 40 years of almost continuous service, this week I took my
faithful (sic) Reader's Digest pine bed to the dump, probably to re-
incarnate as chipboard.

Did it come in little pieces stuck to the cover, spread over 500 issues,
to be painstakingly stuck together?

Polythene records and households that cuoldnt afford any furniture.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob wrote:

After 40 years of almost continuous service, this week I took my
faithful (sic) Reader's Digest pine bed to the dump, probably to re-
incarnate as chipboard.

It seemed an appropriate moment to ask if other readers have memories
they would like to share (or NOT share !) of this symbol of 1970's
DIY ?
Greetings

I do not have a single item of the 70's in my possession.

I do have however, plenty of items dating back to the early part of the 20th
century.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Rob wrote:

After 40 years of almost continuous service, this week I took my
faithful (sic) Reader's Digest pine bed to the dump, probably to re-
incarnate as chipboard.

It seemed an appropriate moment to ask if other readers have memories
they would like to share (or NOT share !) of this symbol of 1970's
DIY ?
Greetings

I do not have a single item of the 70's in my possession.

having suffered a mains failure this morning, I dug out my battery portable
radio. It still has the 1978 stickers on it that the BBC kindly gave us to
mark the postitions on the dial of the 'shuffled' stations. That probably
puts a date on the radio, too. (no, not Radio Two)

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2012 10:42, charles wrote:
In ,
Tim wrote:
Rob wrote:
After 40 years of almost continuous service, this week I took my
faithful (sic) Reader's Digest pine bed to the dump, probably to re-
incarnate as chipboard.

It seemed an appropriate moment to ask if other readers have memories
they would like to share (or NOT share !) of this symbol of 1970's
DIY ?
Greetings

I do not have a single item of the 70's in my possession.

having suffered a mains failure this morning, I dug out my battery portable
radio. It still has the 1978 stickers on it that the BBC kindly gave us to
mark the postitions on the dial of the 'shuffled' stations. That probably
puts a date on the radio, too. (no, not Radio Two)

In 1973 I got a brand new Yamaha moped FS1E for around £60
1n 1974 I got a brand new Yamaha RD200 £208
My dad got a new Honda Civic 1974 £1500
Petrol was 50p Gallon I still have the ration book for my Moped.
1976 I got a 500cc Yam for £500 brand new.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2012 09:24, Tim Watts wrote:
Rob wrote:

After 40 years of almost continuous service, this week I took my
faithful (sic) Reader's Digest pine bed to the dump, probably to re-
incarnate as chipboard.

It seemed an appropriate moment to ask if other readers have memories
they would like to share (or NOT share !) of this symbol of 1970's
DIY ?
Greetings

I do not have a single item of the 70's in my possession.

I do have however, plenty of items dating back to the early part of the 20th
century.

I met my wife in the 70s - and I've still got her!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
Rob wrote:

After 40 years of almost continuous service, this week I took my
faithful (sic) Reader's Digest pine bed to the dump, probably to re-
incarnate as chipboard.

It seemed an appropriate moment to ask if other readers have memories
they would like to share (or NOT share !) of this symbol of 1970's
DIY ?
Greetings

I do not have a single item of the 70's in my possession.

I do have however, plenty of items dating back to the early part of the
20th
century.

I met my wife in the 70s - and I've still got her!

Wow! Has she still got her flared pants on?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

news:WZGdnSWeLLJdC6zSnZ2dnUVZ8hqdnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
Rob wrote:

After 40 years of almost continuous service, this week I took my
faithful (sic) Reader's Digest pine bed to the dump, probably to re-
incarnate as chipboard.

It seemed an appropriate moment to ask if other readers have memories
they would like to share (or NOT share !) of this symbol of 1970's
DIY ?
Greetings

I do not have a single item of the 70's in my possession.

I do have however, plenty of items dating back to the early part of
the 20th
century.

I met my wife in the 70s - and I've still got her!

Wow! Has she still got her flared pants on?

I bet Drivel was a hippy

....Until he tried snorting coke,

.... and the bubbles got up his nose

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 00:21:20 +0000, geoff wrote:

I met my wife in the 70s - and I've still got her!

Wow! Has she still got her flared pants on?

I bet Drivel was a hippy

The hippies had imploded by the 70s.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

Rob wrote:

After 40 years of almost continuous service, this week I took my
faithful (sic) Reader's Digest pine bed to the dump, probably to re-
incarnate as chipboard.

It seemed an appropriate moment to ask if other readers have memories
they would like to share (or NOT share !) of this symbol of 1970's
DIY ?
Greetings

I do not have a single item of the 70's in my possession.

I do have however, plenty of items dating back to the early part of the
20th
century.

I met my wife in the 70s - and I've still got her!

Wow! Has she still got her flared pants on?

I bet Drivel was a hippy

...Until he tried snorting coke,

... and the bubbles got up his nose

Maxie, these bubble. I know nothing of these. How do they feel?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater :
I still have my Quad amplifier and IMF monitor speakers, all still
working fine.

I got rid of my Quad some time ago but my Cambridge Audio R50 speakers
are still going strong. (After replacing one driver and both
crossovers.)

More in the spirit of DIY, my 1960s automatic wire strippers seemed a
very extravagant purchase at the time but in terms of cost per use they
were a real bargain.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 10:29:12 +0000, Mike Barnes
wrote:

Tim Streater :
I still have my Quad amplifier and IMF monitor speakers, all still
working fine.

I got rid of my Quad some time ago but my Cambridge Audio R50 speakers
are still going strong. (After replacing one driver and both
crossovers.)

Still got my 1970's A&R A60 amp but it's lying unused as it's got a
fault that I've never managed to fix.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 8, 1:38*pm, Mark wrote:

Still got my 1970's A&R A60 amp but it's lying unused as it's got a
fault that I've never managed to fix.

I have a tape recorder in a similar state (doing nothing waiting for
sufficient TUITs to accumulate)...
It's a Studer which had cost over £400 in the mid 60's, and was sold
off for a fiver in the late 70's, which was when I got hold of it.
It appears to work but there's olfactory evidence of something getting
rather hotter than it ought to, and I've never managed to work out
what. It also needs some replacement heads...
I do also have a genuine 70's tape recorder - a Ferrograph Logic 7 -
which still worked fine the last time I turned it on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
..com, docholliday scribeth thus
On Feb 8, 1:38*pm, Mark wrote:

Still got my 1970's A&R A60 amp but it's lying unused as it's got a
fault that I've never managed to fix.

I have a tape recorder in a similar state (doing nothing waiting for
sufficient TUITs to accumulate)...
It's a Studer which had cost over £400 in the mid 60's, and was sold
off for a fiver in the late 70's, which was when I got hold of it.
It appears to work but there's olfactory evidence of something getting
rather hotter than it ought to, and I've never managed to work out
what. It also needs some replacement heads...

Yep got one of they, a B67 superb machine still makes an excellent
tape..

As well as a few assorted Revox's which I must get round to e-baying
sometime;!..

I do also have a genuine 70's tape recorder - a Ferrograph Logic 7 -
which still worked fine the last time I turned it on.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 09:44:57 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

Rob wrote:

After 40 years of almost continuous service, this week I took my
faithful (sic) Reader's Digest pine bed to the dump, probably to re-
incarnate as chipboard.

It seemed an appropriate moment to ask if other readers have memories
they would like to share (or NOT share !) of this symbol of 1970's
DIY ?
Greetings

I do not have a single item of the 70's in my possession.

I do have however, plenty of items dating back to the early part of the
20th century.

I still have my Quad amplifier and IMF monitor speakers, all still
working fine.

I've got a 1970s Kenwood tuner/amp on the desk beside me, with the
quintessential wood grain effect case and glowing display (there's even a
sticker on the side proudly declaring "simulated wood grain finish" :-)

It's a wonderful bit of kit; all the metal controls just "feel" right - I
reckon some designer spent hours getting the clickyness of the switches,
the friction on the tuning control etc. just-so.

The only downside is that one of the speaker source buttons has snapped
off (it was missing when I got it from previous owners); it doesn't stop
it from functioning, but it would be nice to get it cosmetically back
into top condition one day. I'm not sure how hard finding some of the
transistors would be - but equivalents are presumably available, and I do
have the schematics for it, so should be able to keep it going for years.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

*Tim Watts wrote:

Rob wrote:

[...]

The good news is its not necessary to get tr equivalents, just
something that meets the necessary specs is fine. Almost trivial for
silicon trs, if it uses germanium there are still some about, but few,
and thre are old ones being sold on ebay etc. Much easier to find than
nuvistors. The prime problem with 70s kit tends to be the banks of
switches. Fortunately there are workarounds possible.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

*Tim Watts wrote:

Rob wrote:

[...]

Servisol Super 10. Spray it, work it, leave it. Do it for three days
and it cleans off the oxidation as well as displacing dirt and dried
up grease. Whatever it is, it probably needs a day for each decade
since manufacture.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 00:53:32 -0800, thirty-six wrote:
The good news is its not necessary to get tr equivalents, just
something that meets the necessary specs is fine. Almost trivial for
silicon trs, if it uses germanium there are still some about, but few,
and thre are old ones being sold on ebay etc. Much easier to find than
nuvistors. The prime problem with 70s kit tends to be the banks of
switches. Fortunately there are workarounds possible.

NT

Servisol Super 10. Spray it, work it, leave it. Do it for three days
and it cleans off the oxidation as well as displacing dirt and dried up
grease. Whatever it is, it probably needs a day for each decade since
manufacture.

I dumped a whole bunch of isopropyl in the Kenwood when I got it; it
hadn't been run in years and all the switches and pots were having a
major grump. But some proper switch cleaner would have probably* been
better if I'd had any to hand (I did call a few places in the local town,
but firstly it was sodding expensive and secondly it'd mean about a 20
mile round trip :-)

* although the IPA took care of it without too much fuss.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

Rob wrote:

After 40 years of almost continuous service, this week I took my
faithful (sic) Reader's Digest pine bed to the dump, probably to re-
incarnate as chipboard.

It seemed an appropriate moment to ask if other readers have memories
they would like to share (or NOT share !) of this symbol of 1970's
DIY ?
Greetings

I do not have a single item of the 70's in my possession.

I do have however, plenty of items dating back to the early part of
the 20th century.

I still have my Quad amplifier and IMF monitor speakers, all still
working fine.

Same here - but Spendors. And a couple of pairs of LS3/5a. And a Revox or
two. Thorens turntable and SME arm. Got a B&D drill from the '60s still
going although it was overhauled at the factory in the '70s and I think
the only bit left is the body. ;-)

--
*All generalizations are false.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Yes, I have the Revox/SME combo also, purchased in the early 70s. When I
returned from the US in 1993, I unmounted the arm for shipping, and in
fact haven't ever put it back.

Still use my record deck quite regularly. Although mainly for transferring
vinyl to digital.

--
*The beatings will continue until morale improves *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-02-08, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Yes, I have the Revox/SME combo also, purchased in the early 70s. When I
returned from the US in 1993, I unmounted the arm for shipping, and in
fact haven't ever put it back.

Still use my record deck quite regularly.

AOL

(Thorens TD160/SME/Shure V15III into Arcam Alpha 10. DIY speakers from
a design in HFN&RR "A no-compromise loudpeaker for the home constructor).

Although mainly for transferring
vinyl to digital.

ICBA with that. Perhaps once I'm retired and have more time.

On a related note, I've just bought a Logitech Squeebox Duet streaming
music player which seems like a nice bit of kit; it's to upgrade my
Squeezebox 1, which although a nice piece of kit, has a UI from the
ark.

steady on - we'll be swapping pictures of pushbikes next......

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-02-08, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Yes, I have the Revox/SME combo also, purchased in the early 70s. When I
returned from the US in 1993, I unmounted the arm for shipping, and in
fact haven't ever put it back.

Still use my record deck quite regularly.

AOL

(Thorens TD160/SME/Shure V15III into Arcam Alpha 10. DIY speakers from
a design in HFN&RR "A no-compromise loudpeaker for the home constructor).

Although mainly for transferring
vinyl to digital.

ICBA with that. Perhaps once I'm retired and have more time.

I don't think it works like that. I have no idea how I found time to go to
work

On a related note, I've just bought a Logitech Squeebox Duet streaming
music player which seems like a nice bit of kit; it's to upgrade my
Squeezebox 1, which although a nice piece of kit, has a UI from the
ark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim
Streater scribeth thus
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

Rob wrote:

After 40 years of almost continuous service, this week I took my
faithful (sic) Reader's Digest pine bed to the dump, probably to re-
incarnate as chipboard.

It seemed an appropriate moment to ask if other readers have memories
they would like to share (or NOT share !) of this symbol of 1970's
DIY ?
Greetings

I do not have a single item of the 70's in my possession.

I do have however, plenty of items dating back to the early part of the 20th
century.

I still have my Quad amplifier and IMF monitor speakers, all still
working fine.

SWMBO has a QUAD 33/303 combination for her study, just updated with new
caps etc made in 1969 it was;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 18:22:14 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

In article , Tim
Streater scribeth thus
In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

Rob wrote:

After 40 years of almost continuous service, this week I took my
faithful (sic) Reader's Digest pine bed to the dump, probably to re-
incarnate as chipboard.

It seemed an appropriate moment to ask if other readers have
memories they would like to share (or NOT share !) of this symbol of
1970's DIY ?
Greetings

I do not have a single item of the 70's in my possession.

I do have however, plenty of items dating back to the early part of
the 20th century.

I still have my Quad amplifier and IMF monitor speakers, all still
working fine.

SWMBO has a QUAD 33/303 combination for her study, just updated with new
caps etc made in 1969 it was;!...

I have one too...refurbished by Quad a few years ago. Only thing I needed
to fix was the capacitor across the mains input which let out its magic
smoke a couple of years ago.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I still have my Quad amplifier and IMF monitor speakers, all still
working fine.

SWMBO has a QUAD 33/303 combination for her study, just updated with new
caps etc made in 1969 it was;!...

Yes, I really ought to do that too. Where did you get it done?

D-I-Y that one. Not at all difficult. Net Audio do a very wide range
from almost total rebuild kits and upgraded boards to relatively simple
capacitor upgrades and they do benefit from these!.

Most all of them are quite olde now and the caps especially Electro
ones loose capacitance over time and with that the amp degrades. However
with just that and sorting out an intermittent distortion problem its
now measuring better than the original spec!...

http://www.net-audio.co.uk/index.html
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater :
I should prolly get the crossovers on the IMFs done, though, also.

I recommend these people: http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater :
In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:

Tim Streater :
I should prolly get the crossovers on the IMFs done, though, also.

I recommend these people: http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/

Parts only, though?

AFAIK yes, but resoldering capacitors should be OK for a uk.d-i-yer I'd
have thought. For my speakers Falcon sold complete crossovers with
improved circuitry, which made the job a bit easier.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Rob
writes
After 40 years of almost continuous service, this week I took my
faithful (sic) Reader's Digest pine bed to the dump, probably to re-
incarnate as chipboard.

It seemed an appropriate moment to ask if other readers have memories
they would like to share (or NOT share !) of this symbol of 1970's

MFI self assemble wardrobes supplied with very shallow slotted
screws....

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 04:53:09 -0800 (PST), Rob
wrote:

It seemed an appropriate moment to ask if other readers have memories
they would like to share (or NOT share !) of this symbol of 1970's
DIY ?

People were still creating flush doors by pinning hardboard over great
old Victorian moulded doors, thanks to Barry Bucknell. They were also
enclosing staircases in hardboard - another big wave of thanks to BB
for that one.
Actually, all over the land these forgotten treasures are being
rediscovered still, thanks to BB.

Power tools of the day were nothing great, as were many of the hand
tools, unless you bought pro grade stuff. Having said that, many of
the older B&D and Bosch tools were made of fairly good stuff and many
survive still.

I recall the use of a Rawl plug driver - a device you had to hammer
into the the brick to create a hole - a decidedly user-unfriendly
tool.

Insulation was starting out in a big way - cavity wall filling was
really taking off (but early PU foam mixes were crap and could
collapse into a wisp at the bottom of the cavity). Fibreglass in the
loft was a great thing, but many people only fitted 2", some
cheapskates only used 1", believe it or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 03/02/12 12:53, Rob wrote:
After 40 years of almost continuous service, this week I took my
faithful (sic) Reader's Digest pine bed to the dump, probably to re-
incarnate as chipboard.

It seemed an appropriate moment to ask if other readers have memories
they would like to share (or NOT share !) of this symbol of 1970's
DIY ?

I still have, and use the B&D Drill my father gave me as a birthday
present circa 1971 when I was 17. And various other tools I bought
myself and some inherited. And the Russian ФÐ*Д-3 camera that cost £21
14s 6d (a year of saving) in 1968. And a lot of books.

--
djc