Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Little black balls in an old hard drive

7yo daughter and I took apart an old dead hard drive. Inside the casing
to one side there was a small rectangular plastic 'pot' with a sort of
fibrous tape cover. Containing a load of tiny ( 0.5mm diam ?) black
balls.

They appear to be graphite - non magnetic and can be crushed. But
couldn't work out very obviously what they are.

Anyone know?
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:
7yo daughter and I took apart an old dead hard drive. Inside the casing
to one side there was a small rectangular plastic 'pot' with a sort of
fibrous tape cover. Containing a load of tiny ( 0.5mm diam ?) black balls.

They appear to be graphite - non magnetic and can be crushed. But
couldn't work out very obviously what they are.

Anyone know?

Some sort of desiccant perhaps? I've not seen a black one but it might
explain the porous cover.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

They appear to be graphite - non magnetic and can be crushed. But
couldn't work out very obviously what they are.

Anyone know?

Some sort of desiccant perhaps? I've not seen a black one but it might
explain the porous cover.

Charcoal filters, I would think.

Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 19:18:01 +0000, chris French
wrote:

7yo daughter and I took apart an old dead hard drive. Inside the casing
to one side there was a small rectangular plastic 'pot' with a sort of
fibrous tape cover. Containing a load of tiny ( 0.5mm diam ?) black
balls.

They appear to be graphite - non magnetic and can be crushed. But
couldn't work out very obviously what they are.

Anyone know?

Might be part of the breather system.

Years ago I dismantled a very larger HD found in a skip outside a game
publisher. It had a wet/dry breather system for the drive. Most dinky
thing I have ever seen with the usual filters and a liquid bath in a
minute clear plastic module.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
chris French wrote:
7yo daughter and I took apart an old dead hard drive. Inside the casing
to one side there was a small rectangular plastic 'pot' with a sort of
fibrous tape cover. Containing a load of tiny ( 0.5mm diam ?) black
balls.

They appear to be graphite - non magnetic and can be crushed. But
couldn't work out very obviously what they are.

Anyone know?

From http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91607 :

"activated carbon pellets, as a dessicant and to absorb any other airborne
fumes from material outgassing, to prevent them from depositing on
critical locations such as the media surface"

Similar on:

http://www.techimo.com/photo/showpho...500/ppuser/265

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , D.M.Chapman
writes

From http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91607 :

"activated carbon pellets, as a dessicant and to absorb any other airborne
fumes from material outgassing, to prevent them from depositing on
critical locations such as the media surface"

Similar on:

http://www.techimo.com/photo/showpho...500/ppuser/265

Ah thanks, now we know :-)
--
Chris French

Anyone have an External Hard drive available? [email protected] Metalworking 3 April 7th 10 03:08 AM
hard drive magnets davao UK diy 28 January 24th 07 01:39 PM
What Brand Hard Drive?? talented79 Electronics Repair 3 April 25th 06 01:16 AM
Neighbor Hitting Hard Balls into Yard w/ Kids Billy Home Ownership 9 January 12th 06 06:24 PM
Sony VAIO PCG-K25 Notebook PC (2.8 GHz Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, DVD+/-RW Drive) Laptopmania Electronics 0 December 5th 04 03:43 PM