Posted to uk.d-i-y
JIP JIP is offline

Default Removing expansion bolts

Hi - I had fitted an external canopy to the outside wall of my house,
but have now removed it. The brackets were fitted to the wall using
expansion bolts. I want to remove those as well. Are there any
techniques for that to minimise damage to the wall.

Cheers

JIP
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JIP wrote:
Hi - I had fitted an external canopy to the outside wall of my house,
but have now removed it. The brackets were fitted to the wall using
expansion bolts. I want to remove those as well. Are there any
techniques for that to minimise damage to the wall.

Cheers

JIP

Re insert the bolt leaving it 1/4" loose. hit the head into the wall
with moderate blows. If the head moves in unscrew it a little and then
tap from side to side and up and down. I may well wiggle free but not
guaranteed.
If it won't come out, leave it alone and just fill the hole.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Chuckle, when a friend did this half a brick fell out.
I'd also not suggest an angle grinder either!

Brian

Hence the suggestion of "moderate blows"

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JIP" wrote in message
Hi - I had fitted an external canopy to the outside wall of my house,
but have now removed it. The brackets were fitted to the wall using
expansion bolts. I want to remove those as well. Are there any
techniques for that to minimise damage to the wall.

Cheers

JIP

See the recent thread started by Janet Tweedy

there are several factors that can affect the likelhood of removal with
minimal damage

If the bolts are the 'old fashioned' Rawl Bolt then putting the bolt back in
loosely and gently tapping the head can release the nut from the jaws and
the outer can then be levered out without damage or hooked out when the bolt
is removed again. Indeed if you have not hit the nut too far it will come
out as well

If however they are the sleeve anchor type where the thread is sticking out
of the wall and the sleeve only a mm thick an angle grinder would be a good
bet as there is no way to get at the sleeve

Some of mine will never come out without damage as the hole went into the
frog in the brick and the sleeve expanded there

tapping below the surface and filling is often the only easy option

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JIP JIP is offline

TMC wrote:

"JIP" wrote in message
[...]

Aah - yes, they are the latter - will have to get hold of an angle
grinder.

Many thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 14:28:36 -0600, "JIP"
wrote:

TMC wrote:

"JIP" wrote in message
[...]

Angle grinders are pretty "de rigeur" for readers of this newsgroup.

As is car body filler. And WD-40 (however useless it may be). Fein
Multimasters (or equivalent) seemed to fizzle out a couple of years
ago. Aldi (or was it the other one?) drain cameras were in vogue for
nearly three weeks until people found they weren't quite flexible
enough for colonic self-inspections...

I suspect a therrmic lance might be "the" tool for 2012. But probably
not for colonic work.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If they are the expansion tube type, you can cut the ends off, but
they can corrode eventually and split a line of mortar if under a
window or such like.

If they are only in about 70mm you can drill them out by using a
sintered diamond core drill of 16mm or 20mm from Hong Kong (Ebay). The
hole in the core goes around the residual bolt. This technique is also
great for removing broken off bits of cast iron guttering spikes that
have corroded off flush or recessed into brick work, swollen and
cracking mortar lines, then just fill in after.

If they are deeper you can still use this technique, but then may need
to use a small SDS or drill around the base until the bolt gives up
its bond.

Then just a matter of matching the mortar colour (small bags on Ebay,
mix & let dry to gauge amount), and pointing back up.

If they are not corroding and you have a sticking-out-stud likely to
snag on someone you can screw acorn nuts over them (domed nuts).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"js.b1" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting idea

So you slide the core drill over the protruding thread

Learn something every day

I have never bothered with a core dril for such a small hole anything up
to25mm I use conventional drills

What is the general benefit of using such small size core drill and how do
you get them to centre correctly to start with in normal use?

Removing carriage bolts from wood Liz Megerle Home Repair 25 September 4th 17 10:14 PM
Removing large bolts Matty F UK diy 62 October 19th 10 09:27 AM
Concrete Expansion Bolts For Railing Fastening ? Bob[_44_] Home Repair 9 May 17th 10 06:32 PM
Removing Rawl Bolts from wall Bob Hardwell UK diy 11 May 21st 08 01:01 PM
Removing (lots of) Rusted Bolts Paul Franklin Home Repair 3 June 27th 03 02:25 AM