Paul Franklin

Default Removing (lots of) Rusted Bolts

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:11:36 GMT, 'nuther Bob wrote:

I need to remove about 80 rusted 3/8 bolts/nuts to repair a steel
fire escape. The unit itself is in good shape but the angle iron
and bolts holding the treads to the stringers need replacement.

snip

If you have a roto-zip, they now make a right angle cut-off attachment
with disks that are about 3-3.5" dia. I use it to zip through copper
pipe in a fraction of the time it takes to use a tubing cutter, and
without leaving a burr. It's like a dremel on steroids; much more
power, and the disks are thicker so they don't break and last longer.

The nut splitter would be slow going...unless you drive it with an
impact wrench. I'll bet that would be fastest if you have clearance
and have an air impact wrench.

But if you have the clearance to swing a 2 or 3 lb sledge, one smack
on a sharp cold chisel would likely split the nut. Use the kind of
chisel with a hand shield, for obvious reasons.

HTH,

Paul

mark Ransley

arte says rusted bolts are a part o f too much crack

Richard J Kinch

'nuther Bob writes:

Other ideas ?

Really big bolt cutters, if they can reach.

Hydraulic nut splitter, if you must have a power tool.
Dan G

http://unitedabrasives.com/current/PDF/CuttingR.pdf

You might also consider leaving the originals and drilling and
installing fresh ones next to them.

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:57:45 GMT, "Dan G" wrote:

You might try weld cutting disks on a 4 " grinder.

Are they thin ? I have a 4" grinder.

Bob

--

Keep the whole world singing. . .