Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default As gales sweep the UK, 2/3rds of wind farms shut down..

....or at least that is the ONLY conclusion I can draw from the dramatic
drop from over 3GW on Tuesday night to just over a GW at 9 a.m. this
morning (Wednesday).

Unless they were told to shut it, Id say all of the scottish farms were
feathered, and only the English ones functioned at all.

This occurred just as the morning demand peaked - it looks like they
actually had the CCGT ready for that and pushed them up faster, but its
one of the fastest drops in wind output I have seen - about 750MW and hour.

They lurched back into life as the storm passed..getting back to nearly
2.5GW by the afternoon/evening peak.

I wonder how much gas we wasted trying to balance that little lot.

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I wonder how much gas we wasted trying to balance that little lot.

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk

Amazing. Thanks for that.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I wonder how much gas we wasted trying to balance that little lot.

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk

Amazing. Thanks for that.

Bill

it gets worse. I checked the data source site, where more is recorded
and the difference between what the wind output was PREDICTED to be and
what they managed to get out was a whopping 2.4GW.

So the forecast was out by a couple of nuclear power stations....

...so much for 'we don't need spinning reserve with wind, we can predict
the weather..'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 04:24:52 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

it gets worse. I checked the data source site, where more is recorded
and the difference between what the wind output was PREDICTED to be and
what they managed to get out was a whopping 2.4GW.

That really is **** poor as the high winds for Scotland/Northern
England were forecast well, aka days, in advance. The drop in wind
output as the storm hit was very dramatic.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

...or at least that is the ONLY conclusion I can draw from the
dramatic drop from over 3GW on Tuesday night to just over a GW at 9
a.m. this morning (Wednesday).

You sure you mean Tues nite to Weds morning? Graphs are showing that as
Mon nite down to 1gig Tues morning on the weekly chart. Today's daily
chart is showing steady increase from 2g to 3g between 14.00 yesterday
and now.

Sorry. Stepped into a Time warp. You are of course correct.

Not that this invalidates your basic point :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 00:23:40 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

...or at least that is the ONLY conclusion I can draw from the dramatic
drop from over 3GW on Tuesday night to just over a GW at 9 a.m. this
morning (Wednesday).

Unless they were told to shut it, Id say all of the scottish farms were
feathered, and only the English ones functioned at all.

This occurred just as the morning demand peaked - it looks like they
actually had the CCGT ready for that and pushed them up faster, but its
one of the fastest drops in wind output I have seen - about 750MW and hour.

They lurched back into life as the storm passed..getting back to nearly
2.5GW by the afternoon/evening peak.

I wonder how much gas we wasted trying to balance that little lot.

Oh, for ****'s sake, find a different ****ing drum, you boring ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 05:16:33 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Its the gusting they seem not to be able to cope with. its amazing how a
thing so simple is hard to optimise for the real conditions.

The optimum conditions for all wind turbines seems be a windspeed of
between 9.999 and 10.001mph... at the period of lowest system demand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Its the gusting they seem not to be able to cope with. its amazing how a
thing so simple is hard to optimise for the real conditions.

The optimum conditions for all wind turbines seems be a windspeed of
between 9.999 and 10.001mph... at the period of lowest system demand.

actually they run fairly well at medium high windspeeds - generally in
the 25-50mph range.

Gusts should NOT be a problem as there is inertia in them - it strains
the gear boxes if they have them, yes.

But sustained high winds are..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 14:57:32 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Oh, for ****'s sake, find a different ****ing drum, you boring ****.

Having a bad day dear? Is it that time of the month again..?

Or is it that your emotional investment in all things green and wet
behind the ears is now looking as sorry as your actual financial investment?

It may come as a surprise to you, but one of the most grevious
offences you can commit on Usenet is to be dull, predictable and
boring. You win on all three, I'm sorry to say.
Have a nice day, hope this helps, etc.