Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default From Ebay

Bought a panel mounting LED digital thermometer off Ebay for 5.70 total,
including probe, which I thought pretty good value. Only took a week to
arrive all the way from China. Powered it up, and it was miles out. Like
10C where it should have been 20C.
Sent a PM via Ebay, and got a very quick reply. Unusually, not from some
sales droid, but I'd guess an engineer. Asked me what R17 and R18 were
marked and also to measure them with a DVM - should be 10K. They were both
marked 682 and measured at 6K8. (There are two inputs, and it can be set
to read either, or cycle between them) They also asked for a pic of the
label on the box so they could trace the production, etc.

I just happened to have some surface mount 10k resistors, so replaced them
- and both inputs now fine.

Be interested to know what they'll suggest I do - but even if nothing I'm
still pleased enough, as it was quicker to replace the resistors than pack
it all up and take it to the post office. ;-)

--
*Confession is good for the soul, but bad for your career.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Last year I bought a 16 gb micro SD card off eBay that came from China.
It was supposedly Sandisk - but half the price of a UK supplied equivalent.

It arrived promptly, and although in a package that appeared genuine,
the details on the card itself were different to that on the packaging.
Comparing the card with a genuine Sandisk it was obviously a fake. I
contacted the seller and demanded a refund. Surprisingly they responded
and offered a refund of just over half the cost and said I could keep
the card. Although it's a fake - it works ok and so I was happy to
accept the offer. The refund was duly made and I still have a working
16gb micro sd card!

--
Kev

Justice? You get justice in the next world,
in this world you have the law...
William Gaddis
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Got a reply this morning apologising for fitting the wrong resistors and
offering to send the correct ones for me to fit - and a second unit as
compensation.

I can't somehow see a UK firm like Maplin giving this sort of service.
They would have fobbed one off with a 'customer service' department,
rather than getting an engineer to reply to a technical point.

--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 10:21:09 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Got a reply this morning apologising for fitting the wrong resistors and
offering to send the correct ones for me to fit - and a second unit as
compensation.

I can't somehow see a UK firm like Maplin giving this sort of service.
They would have fobbed one off with a 'customer service' department,
rather than getting an engineer to reply to a technical point.

Tell us the seller!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 10:21:09 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Got a reply this morning apologising for fitting the wrong resistors and
offering to send the correct ones for me to fit - and a second unit as
compensation.

I can't somehow see a UK firm like Maplin giving this sort of service.
They would have fobbed one off with a 'customer service' department,
rather than getting an engineer to reply to a technical point.

Tell us the seller!

Sure Electronics.

www.sure-electronics.com

--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Got a reply this morning apologising for fitting the wrong resistors and
offering to send the correct ones for me to fit - and a second unit as
compensation.

I can't somehow see a UK firm like Maplin giving this sort of service.
They would have fobbed one off with a 'customer service' department,
rather than getting an engineer to reply to a technical point.

I had a problem with a computer I bought from Chillblast. Nearly expired
free 2 year collect and return warranty.

I rang them (not premium rate) and we agreed it was the power supply. They
gave me the choice of them collecting the PC or if I was up to fitting it
they would send me a replacement power supply. I opted for the latter and
the power supply arrived next day. Job done.

My ISP is Newnet. They are not the cheapest but on the very rare occasions
there is a problem I speak to someone knowledgable. Last time it was a
local BT fault but Newnet sent me regular emails on the progress BT were
making (and warned me not to rely on BT's time estimates)