Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default From Ebay

Bought a panel mounting LED digital thermometer off Ebay for 5.70 total,
including probe, which I thought pretty good value. Only took a week to
arrive all the way from China. Powered it up, and it was miles out. Like
10C where it should have been 20C.
Sent a PM via Ebay, and got a very quick reply. Unusually, not from some
sales droid, but I'd guess an engineer. Asked me what R17 and R18 were
marked and also to measure them with a DVM - should be 10K. They were both
marked 682 and measured at 6K8. (There are two inputs, and it can be set
to read either, or cycle between them) They also asked for a pic of the
label on the box so they could trace the production, etc.

I just happened to have some surface mount 10k resistors, so replaced them
- and both inputs now fine.

Be interested to know what they'll suggest I do - but even if nothing I'm
still pleased enough, as it was quicker to replace the resistors than pack
it all up and take it to the post office. ;-)

--
*Confession is good for the soul, but bad for your career.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.