Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Handles

What do they call the type of handles that were fitted to, for
example, old Dansette record players and the like?
If you remember they consisted of a strip of spring steel, covered
with leather or rexine, with longitudinal slots at either end, and
there was a metal cap which was fastened on by a screw which went
through the slots.

Moreover, does anyone know of a source of these? I only need one, to
fit on fixing centres of about 6¼".

TIA -

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:

What do they call the type of handles that were fitted to, for
example, old Dansette record players and the like?
If you remember they consisted of a strip of spring steel, covered
with leather or rexine, with longitudinal slots at either end, and
there was a metal cap which was fastened on by a screw which went
through the slots.

Moreover, does anyone know of a source of these? I only need one, to
fit on fixing centres of about 6¼".

Strap Handle

http://www.maplin.co.uk/strap-handle-33254

Perhaps more elegant ones exist?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 18:50:00 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:

What do they call the type of handles that were fitted to, for
example, old Dansette record players and the like?
If you remember they consisted of a strip of spring steel, covered
with leather or rexine, with longitudinal slots at either end, and
there was a metal cap which was fastened on by a screw which went
through the slots.

Moreover, does anyone know of a source of these? I only need one, to
fit on fixing centres of about 6¼".

Strap Handle

http://www.maplin.co.uk/strap-handle-33254

Excellent - thanks Andy. D'you know, I never thought of trying them.

Sadly my local store has none in stock, but I'll see if they can get
me one from another about 10 miles away.

Perhaps more elegant ones exist?

It's almost out of sight, so appearance doesn't really matter.

Thanks again.

--
Frank Erskine

"No longer drink only water, but take a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent
ailments" (1 Tim 5:23).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2011 18:50, Andy Burns wrote:
Frank Erskine wrote:

What do they call the type of handles that were fitted to, for
example, old Dansette record players and the like?
If you remember they consisted of a strip of spring steel, covered
with leather or rexine, with longitudinal slots at either end, and
there was a metal cap which was fastened on by a screw which went
through the slots.

Moreover, does anyone know of a source of these? I only need one, to
fit on fixing centres of about 6¼".

Strap Handle

http://www.maplin.co.uk/strap-handle-33254

Perhaps more elegant ones exist?

Anyone got a link for "toolbox" handles? The rigid U shape pivoted to a
pair of flanges? I can find a saddler who does briefcase handles costing
an arm and a leg.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

They must be still made as I saw one on a brand new portable drill box only
the other day. it was indeed fitted with two screws.
Anyone looked at screwfix or cpc? They are the sort of outfit that might
have them.
Brian

Email:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Frank Erskine wrote:

What do they call the type of handles that were fitted to, for
example, old Dansette record players and the like?
If you remember they consisted of a strip of spring steel, covered
with leather or rexine, with longitudinal slots at either end, and
there was a metal cap which was fastened on by a screw which went
through the slots.

Moreover, does anyone know of a source of these? I only need one, to
fit on fixing centres of about 6¼".

Strap Handle

http://www.maplin.co.uk/strap-handle-33254

Perhaps more elegant ones exist?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
They must be still made as I saw one on a brand new portable drill box only
the other day. it was indeed fitted with two screws.
Anyone looked at screwfix or cpc? They are the sort of outfit that might
have them.
Brian

the place to go is..bugger..teh place that does al the bits for Musos
kit disco cass..bugger where is it..southend? Some blokes name..

I#ll google it..

ADAM HALL

http://www.adamhall.com/uk/AH_p--project_2__f--6

or maybe navigate through..

More a wholesaler than a retailer, but a polite enquiry will probably
net you what you want..they have - or had - just about everything from
plastic and tin to full blown leather and steel with optional gold
plating :@-)

Actually making a flight case for stuff like laptops and musical
instruments is a pretty simple DIY project and you can really go to won
and make beauties - used to do guitar cases with crushed velvet
inside..and reinforced corners outside..as well as castor equipped 19"
racks for PA systems.

Hand Saw Handles [email protected] Woodworking 19 October 25th 09 04:18 PM
Tool handles SteveB Home Repair 29 September 24th 07 11:09 PM
Tool Handles THumphr Woodturning 5 March 29th 07 10:00 AM
Handles Chris and Patsy Woodturning 7 August 11th 04 09:11 PM
handles Nick Brooks UK diy 7 January 20th 04 05:18 PM