Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freezer Fault

The story so far . . . Over the past few days my upright freezer has
not been reaching the set temperature [-18 c]. I have switched off the
appliance, cleaned the back [ was clean anyway] and switched it back
on. The freezer is only reaching -14 c. The question is should I get
in a service engineer? [ I live in a rural area of Scotland therefore
call out charges are high] or bite the bullet and buy a new one? [ the
thought of removing the padlock from my sporran has me petrified]. Has
anyone any idea what might be wrong?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fyne1 formulated the question :
The story so far . . . Over the past few days my upright freezer has
not been reaching the set temperature [-18 c]. I have switched off the
appliance, cleaned the back [ was clean anyway] and switched it back
on. The freezer is only reaching -14 c. The question is should I get
in a service engineer? [ I live in a rural area of Scotland therefore
call out charges are high] or bite the bullet and buy a new one? [ the
thought of removing the padlock from my sporran has me petrified]. Has
anyone any idea what might be wrong?

Is it running flat out to hold it down to -14C, or shutting off with
long breaks in between?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fyne1 wrote:
The story so far . . . Over the past few days my upright freezer has
not been reaching the set temperature [-18 c]. I have switched off the
appliance, cleaned the back [ was clean anyway] and switched it back
on. The freezer is only reaching -14 c. The question is should I get
in a service engineer? [ I live in a rural area of Scotland therefore
call out charges are high] or bite the bullet and buy a new one? [ the
thought of removing the padlock from my sporran has me petrified]. Has
anyone any idea what might be wrong?

Is it an auto de-frost? Sometime these still get frosted up and the air
can't circulate properly and ice acts as insulation. Only real cure is
remove contents to another freezer and allow to defrost naturally - can
take a couple of days depending on room temp.
I had this when my Bosch auto DF freezer door was left ajar for a day.
The defroster could not cope and the whole thing turned into a block of ice.

Is the compressor running all the time? if so the thermostat is probably
good but the compressor could be knackered or the gas is escaping.
Usually not worth repairing unless machine is quite new or 'special' in
some way- built into units of a (now) non std size etc

If the compressor is switching on and off but still not achieving the
target temperature, suspect the thermostat or the temperature display.
Check the actual temperature with a thermometer if you have not done so
already. Thermostat change can often be DIY and relatively cheap but you
must get the right type for the type of freezer eg auto defrost or not
etc does not always have to be the same make or the manufacturers
supplied (expensive!) spare.

hth

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 26, 12:30*pm, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Fyne1 formulated the question :

The story so far . . . *Over the past few days my upright freezer has
not been reaching the set temperature [-18 c]. I have switched off the
appliance, cleaned the back [ was clean anyway] and switched it back
on. The freezer is only reaching -14 c. The question is should I get
in a service engineer? [ I live in a rural area of Scotland therefore
call out charges are high] or bite the bullet and buy a new one? [ the
thought of removing the padlock from my sporran has me petrified]. Has
anyone any idea what might be wrong?

Is it running flat out to hold it down to -14C, or shutting off with
long breaks in between?

--
Regards,
* * * * Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

It's running flat out to maintain the tem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Fyne1 wrote:
[...]

And most importantly --- how old is it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 26, 12:36*pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
Fyne1 wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your response Bob.
It is a John Lewis auto defrost freezer. I emptied the freezer and
left it for aprox. 6 hours to reset. Has been running for the past 24
hours. The compressor is running continually and the temp is -13. Will
not drop any lower.
Hope this helps

Ronnie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fyne1 wrote:
[...]

Ho Bob. It's 6 years old
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fyne1 brought next idea :
wrote:
Fyne1 formulated the question :

The story so far . . . *Over the past few days my upright freezer has
not been reaching the set temperature [-18 c]. I have switched off the
appliance, cleaned the back [ was clean anyway] and switched it back
on. The freezer is only reaching -14 c. The question is should I get
in a service engineer? [ I live in a rural area of Scotland therefore
call out charges are high] or bite the bullet and buy a new one? [ the
thought of removing the padlock from my sporran has me petrified]. Has
anyone any idea what might be wrong?

Is it running flat out to hold it down to -14C, or shutting off with
long breaks in between?

--
Regards,
* * * * Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

It's running flat out to maintain the tem.

That means either the compressor has lost its gas, or the insulation
has failed. If you let it defrost fully (days), you may find pools of
water around the outside of the freezer, which would confirm insulation
failure. DIY repairable to some extent - clear out as much of the old
insulation as you can, then replace it with expanding foam.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fyne1" wrote in message
On Nov 26, 12:36 pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
Fyne1 wrote:
[...]

Yes, frost free is uggg.
It sounds like it is still frozen up due to not coming onto the defrost
cycle. 6 hours will not be long enough if it is frozen up.
Or then again it might well be a refrigerant leak.
You could eliminate the frozen up theory by leaving it unplugged and with
the door open for a couple of days. If all is then well the problem is a
dodgy defrost timer/heater.
If it still won't reach temperature the problem is probably a refrigerant
leak. It can be recharged but if the guy can't find the leak and repair it
then it will happen again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2011 14:01, Mr Pounder wrote:
wrote in message
On Nov 26, 12:36 pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
Fyne1 wrote:
[...]

That is my experience, except in my case I removed the inside back of
the freezer compartment to expose the heat exchanger which was
completely clogged with ice. I then attacked it with a hair drier to
melt the ice taking care not to melt the plastic. I couldn't wait the 2
days or so for it to melt away by itself!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 26, 1:10*pm, Fyne1 wrote:
On Nov 26, 12:36*pm, Bob Minchin

wrote:
Fyne1 wrote:
[...]

give it a 2 day defrost

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fyne1 wrote:

It is a John Lewis auto defrost freezer. I emptied the freezer and
left it for aprox. 6 hours to reset. Has been running for the past 24
hours. The compressor is running continually and the temp is -13. Will
not drop any lower.

You should be able somehow to get sight of the cooling plates
themselves. Being frost-free, they will be close-spaced, and it
may well be that they are still clogged with ice which didn't
have time to melt. Sometimes the ice also builds up around the
internal circulating fan. Is it running properly?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 26/11/2011 14:01, Mr Pounder wrote:
wrote in message
On Nov 26, 12:36 pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
Fyne1 wrote:
[...]

Yes, that is one way of doing it. However I was not going to advise the OP
to do that for obvious reasons.
I used to repair refrigeration, frost free was always the nightmare.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fyne1 brought next idea :

wrote:
[...]

Thanks Bob for your help. I think I will have to dig up some cash from
the garden and buy a new one. [do they still take white fivers?]
Cheers from Scotland
Ronnie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fyne1" wrote in message
On Nov 26, 1:27 pm, Harry Bloomfield
Fyne1 brought next idea :

wrote:
[...]

Not forgetting that if the freezer is defrosted the water may well run
outside of the compartment.
Insulation failure is unlikely on a such a young appliance. Not unknown but
unlikely.
It is not realistically repairable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 26, 4:24*pm, Fyne1 wrote:
On Nov 26, 1:27*pm, Harry Bloomfield

Fyne1 brought next idea :

wrote:
[...]

I'd try the 48hr. or hairdryer assisted defrost first, it's a cheaper
option...
A stated there will be pools of water anyway when it defrosts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 26, 2:01*pm, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:
"Fyne1" wrote in message

On Nov 26, 12:36 pm, Bob Minchin

wrote:
Fyne1 wrote:
[...]

I found using a fanheater blowing inside the freezer didi it in a
couple of hours. You need to be carfeul not to have it too close so
you don't melt the plastic.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan" wrote in message
On Nov 26, 2:01 pm, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:
"Fyne1" wrote in message

On Nov 26, 12:36 pm, Bob Minchin

wrote:
Fyne1 wrote:
[...]

Well said that man!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zapp Brannigan" wrote in message

"Fyne1" wrote in message
The story so far . . . Over the past few days my upright freezer has
not been reaching the set temperature [-18 c].

Is it in a cold room?

Everywhere in Scotland is cold

Southern Softie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fyne1" wrote in message
The story so far . . . Over the past few days my upright freezer has
not been reaching the set temperature [-18 c].

Is it in a cold room?

That would not affect a freezer. Single stat fridge freezer perhaps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fyne1" wrote in message
The story so far . . . Over the past few days my upright freezer has
not been reaching the set temperature [-18 c].

Is it in a cold room?

That would not affect a freezer. Single stat fridge freezer perhaps.

There are limits on the temperature range over which freezers and fridges
will operate correctly.
there are a surprising number which quote relatively warm temperatures.
For example the Zanussi ZFU228WO has a minimum operating temp of +16C.

Beko appear to be one that offer freezers that operate at low temps, they
use a different refrigerant.
For example the BEKO TZA603FB has a minimum operating temp of -16C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...

"Fyne1" wrote in message
The story so far . . . Over the past few days my upright freezer has
not been reaching the set temperature [-18 c].

Is it in a cold room?

That would not affect a freezer. Single stat fridge freezer perhaps.

There are limits on the temperature range over which freezers and fridges
will operate correctly.
there are a surprising number which quote relatively warm temperatures.
For example the Zanussi ZFU228WO has a minimum operating temp of +16C.

Beko appear to be one that offer freezers that operate at low temps, they
use a different refrigerant.
For example the BEKO TZA603FB has a minimum operating temp of -16C

Yes, but being that this one has been okay for the last 5 years ..