Nehmo Sergheyev

Default Hotpoint freezer fault?

- Terry Pinnell -
I have a Hotpoint 8571, combination fridge freezer. I accidentally
left the freezer door open a fraction yesterday. I corrected after no
more than 2 hours and moved switch from 'Economy' to 'Fast freeze' to
compensate. But squishy ice cream today, maybe 20 hours later, pointed
to some problem, which now investigating and would appreciate any
advice please.

I'm measuring temperatures with sensor connected to my external DVM.
(Cable is thin and I reckon seal is maintained.) Fridge temp looks OK,
at 5 deg C. But freezer temp is too high. After an hour, compartment
below the top one is now at only -1 deg. Yet the red 'temperature
warning light' is not on. The instruction book says it 'Comes on when
the temperature inside the freezer compartment rises above the correct
long term storage temperature.'

First question is: what *should* be temperature inside a freezer? And
how long do I need to leave it before regarding that as a stable
temperature?

More important, what is likely cause? A year or two ago I had a
similar problem and engineer ended up having to remove back panel
where we discovered large ice deposits. Took both of us with hair
dryers a good hour to melt it. Should I suspect same this time? If so,
what is *underlying* cause? Any other possibilities?

I've had 8 years use from it, so maybe time has come to replace...

- Nehmo -
Most refrigerators function properly well past eight years.

Since the problem developed after you used the economy/fast freeze
switch (is that a switch or setting on a dial thermostat?), I would
suspect the problem is there.

Does it work properly when you turn it back to the "Economy" setting?

Try doing that, and defrost the whole fridge all the way.

And you can remove the ice deposits, if they are there, simply by
unplugging the fridge and waiting long enough.

--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Hotpoint Fridge Freezer Ian UK diy 2 January 14th 04 12:44 AM
Hotpoint freezer fault? Terry Pinnell Electronics Repair 46 October 7th 03 01:22 AM
Hotpoint fridge freezer - freezer failure [email protected] UK diy 2 August 13th 03 07:06 PM