Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default sticky mortar ?

Is there a cement mortar mix that will stick to GRP ?
I need to cover the outside steps leading up to my back door with GRP
anti-slip treads, but don't know the best way to fix them. I'd prefer not to
use screw fixing.
Alternatively, I've wondered if the sort of adhesive used to stick flooring
tiles would be suitable.
Anyone been there, done that ?

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote:

Is there a cement mortar mix that will stick to GRP ?
I need to cover the outside steps leading up to my back door with GRP
anti-slip treads, but don't know the best way to fix them. I'd prefer not
to use screw fixing.
Alternatively, I've wondered if the sort of adhesive used to stick
flooring tiles would be suitable.
Anyone been there, done that ?

Jim Hawkins

What's GRP?

And would an epoxy resis (eg araldite) work?

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
Jim Hawkins wrote:

Is there a cement mortar mix that will stick to GRP ?
I need to cover the outside steps leading up to my back door with GRP
anti-slip treads, but don't know the best way to fix them. I'd
prefer not to use screw fixing.
Alternatively, I've wondered if the sort of adhesive used to stick
flooring tiles would be suitable.
Anyone been there, done that ?

Jim Hawkins

What's GRP?

Glass-Reinforced Plastic. The stuff yachts and cruisers - and even
minehunters - are made of.

And would an epoxy resin (eg araldite) work?

Only suitable for very small jobs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote:
Is there a cement mortar mix that will stick to GRP ?
I need to cover the outside steps leading up to my back door with GRP
anti-slip treads, but don't know the best way to fix them. I'd prefer not to
use screw fixing.
Alternatively, I've wondered if the sort of adhesive used to stick flooring
tiles would be suitable.
Anyone been there, done that ?

Try epoxy mortar.

Its expensive, but it sticks like **** and looks like mortar.

You wont get cement to stick well to GRP.

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

What's GRP?

Glass reinforced plastic = fibreglass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Jim Hawkins" writes:
Is there a cement mortar mix that will stick to GRP ?
I need to cover the outside steps leading up to my back door with GRP
anti-slip treads, but don't know the best way to fix them. I'd prefer not to
use screw fixing.
Alternatively, I've wondered if the sort of adhesive used to stick flooring
tiles would be suitable.
Anyone been there, done that ?

The following works when you want to bond mortar onto GRP.

Make sure the GRP surface is clean.
Mix up some resin (the sort normally used with glass matting for car
body repairs). Paint this onto the GRP and sprinkle dry sharp sand
onto it, so that the resin sets with the sharp sand partly embedded
into it, and partly exposed. Leave the resin to fully set.
(If you buy a GRP valley gutter, it comes with these sand strips
already down the sides, ready for the pointing mortar.)

Mortar will stick to the sand strips, but you should use an additional
bonding agent to improve the bond. This is a slurry of pure cement
mixed with PVA, painted onto the sand strip. The mortar is then
applied whilst the slurry is still tacky. For outside use, you need
to use waterproof PVA (EVA) or better still, SBR. You can also use
a small amount of this in the mortar mix to improve the tensile
strength of the mortar (which is basically what tile cement is),
or use tile cement.

You will need to modify this technique to allow for doing it all
upside down, i.e. with the GPR on the top, rather than the bottom.
Also, can't help wondering if just applying the mortar/render
without bothering with the GRP at all would solve the problem?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2011 10:46, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Is there a cement mortar mix that will stick to GRP ?
I need to cover the outside steps leading up to my back door with GRP
anti-slip treads, but don't know the best way to fix them. I'd prefer not to
use screw fixing.
Alternatively, I've wondered if the sort of adhesive used to stick flooring
tiles would be suitable.

Pretty sure one of the new MS polymer grab adhesives would do the job.
Sticks Like Sh*t for example.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2011 10:46, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Is there a cement mortar mix that will stick to GRP ?
I need to cover the outside steps leading up to my back door with GRP
anti-slip treads, but don't know the best way to fix them. I'd prefer not to
use screw fixing.
Alternatively, I've wondered if the sort of adhesive used to stick flooring
tiles would be suitable.
Anyone been there, done that ?

Jim Hawkins

I'd be inclined to use Stixall

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/products.php?q=stixall

--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
Jim Hawkins wrote:

Is there a cement mortar mix that will stick to GRP ?
I need to cover the outside steps leading up to my back door with GRP
anti-slip treads, but don't know the best way to fix them. I'd
prefer not to use screw fixing.
Alternatively, I've wondered if the sort of adhesive used to stick
flooring tiles would be suitable.
Anyone been there, done that ?

Jim Hawkins

What's GRP?

Glass-Reinforced Plastic. The stuff yachts and cruisers - and even
minehunters - are made of.

Yes - I didn't make the connection out of contexts I personally associate
fiberglass with...

And would an epoxy resin (eg araldite) work?

Only suitable for very small jobs.

That's another thing - how big are these treads? Are they just strips and
how many - in which case, I might be looking at buying a more industrial
container of araldite - or doing some tests with car body filler.
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 6, 10:46*am, "Jim Hawkins" wrote:

Is there a cement mortar mix that will stick to GRP ?
I need to cover the outside steps leading up to my back door with GRP
anti-slip treads, but don't know the best way to fix them. I'd prefer not to
use screw fixing.
Alternatively, I've wondered if the sort of adhesive used to stick flooring
tiles would be suitable.
Anyone been there, done that ?

Jim Hawkins

I'm struggling to see what the reason to do that might be. If you want
nonstick, thats reaily achieved with an unsmoothed sand surface. Eg
brush on cement slurry or varnish and sprinkle on sand.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2011 17:55, NT wrote:
On Nov 6, 10:46 am, "Jim wrote:

Is there a cement mortar mix that will stick to GRP ?
I need to cover the outside steps leading up to my back door with GRP
anti-slip treads, but don't know the best way to fix them. I'd prefer not to
use screw fixing.
Alternatively, I've wondered if the sort of adhesive used to stick flooring
tiles would be suitable.
Anyone been there, done that ?

Jim Hawkins

I'm struggling to see what the reason to do that might be. If you want
nonstick, thats reaily achieved with an unsmoothed sand surface. Eg
brush on cement slurry or varnish and sprinkle on sand.

NT

I assume you meant non-slip, not non-stick!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 9:41*am, David Hearn wrote:
On 06/11/2011 17:55, NT wrote:

On Nov 6, 10:46 am, "Jim *wrote:

Is there a cement mortar mix that will stick to GRP ?
I need to cover the outside steps leading up to my back door with GRP
anti-slip treads, but don't know the best way to fix them. I'd prefer not to
use screw fixing.
Alternatively, I've wondered if the sort of adhesive used to stick flooring
tiles would be suitable.
Anyone been there, done that ?

Jim Hawkins

I'm struggling to see what the reason to do that might be. If you want
nonstick, thats reaily achieved with an unsmoothed sand surface. Eg
brush on cement slurry or varnish and sprinkle on sand.

NT

I assume you meant non-slip, not non-stick!

oops

NT

Remove sticky after sticky labels JMS[_2_] UK diy 25 August 10th 10 10:00 PM
Sticky tap SS[_2_] UK diy 2 August 1st 10 11:57 PM
O/T: Sticky Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 12 July 21st 10 12:05 AM
mortar + soap = sticky? Tony[_19_] Home Repair 4 February 25th 10 07:33 PM
Sticky TRV Tom Robinson UK diy 2 December 18th 04 08:33 PM