Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default AC adaptor question

I need an AC adaptor for my Sony CD walkman. Apparently the
one I need is a AC-E45A 4.5V AC mains power supply wall
adapter. I contacted a company online which was advertising
this product and they have sent me a different product,
model no. GD-ACA-FU5VS. This is a 100V-240V adaptor but the
output is DC 5V 2A.
I plugged it into my walkman and connected it to the wall
and it appears to work OK.
I am concerned about it being 5V though, instead of 4.5V.
Does this matter and should I send it back?

someone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
someone wrote:
I need an AC adaptor for my Sony CD walkman. Apparently the
one I need is a AC-E45A 4.5V AC mains power supply wall
adapter. I contacted a company online which was advertising
this product and they have sent me a different product,
model no. GD-ACA-FU5VS. This is a 100V-240V adaptor but the
output is DC 5V 2A.
I plugged it into my walkman and connected it to the wall
and it appears to work OK.
I am concerned about it being 5V though, instead of 4.5V.
Does this matter and should I send it back?

The initial voltage from 3 fresh 1.5v dry cells will exceed 5 volts, and
the walkman will have voltage regulation, so my guess is don't worry.

--
*Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 13:01:32 +0100, "someone"
wrote:

I need an AC adaptor for my Sony CD walkman. Apparently the
one I need is a AC-E45A 4.5V AC mains power supply wall
adapter. I contacted a company online which was advertising
this product and they have sent me a different product,
model no. GD-ACA-FU5VS. This is a 100V-240V adaptor but the
output is DC 5V 2A.
I plugged it into my walkman and connected it to the wall
and it appears to work OK.
I am concerned about it being 5V though, instead of 4.5V.
Does this matter and should I send it back?

Sound like a common problem (ABC Product via Amazon UK)
6 reviews:-
http://tinyurl.com/6zdb7v9

Same company on Ebay selling same PSU (40 negs in last 12 months)
- although they do there state "compatible".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 12:01*pm, "someone" wrote:
I need an AC adaptor for my Sony CD walkman. *Apparently the
one I need is a AC-E45A 4.5V AC mains power supply wall
adapter. *I contacted a company online which was advertising
this product and they have sent me a different product,
model no. GD-ACA-FU5VS. *This is a 100V-240V adaptor but the
output is DC 5V 2A.
I plugged it into my walkman and connected it to the wall
and it appears to work OK.
I am concerned about it being 5V though, instead of 4.5V.
Does this matter and should I send it back?

someone

4.5v ac is an unusual adaptor output, and would give about 6v or more
dc. I'd say its more likely a mistake has been made and its 4.5v dc
output. If the walkman takes 3 cells, the original adaptor will be
4.5v. 5v isnt going to harm it, and will give you an extra milliwatt
of audio power out..

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
message ...
In article ,
someone wrote:
I need an AC adaptor for my Sony CD walkman. Apparently
the
one I need is a AC-E45A 4.5V AC mains power supply wall
adapter. I contacted a company online which was
advertising
this product and they have sent me a different product,
model no. GD-ACA-FU5VS. This is a 100V-240V adaptor but
the
output is DC 5V 2A.
I plugged it into my walkman and connected it to the wall
and it appears to work OK.
I am concerned about it being 5V though, instead of 4.5V.
Does this matter and should I send it back?

The initial voltage from 3 fresh 1.5v dry cells will
exceed 5 volts, and
the walkman will have voltage regulation, so my guess is
don't worry.

Thanks for your reply. Following your reassurance I have
been using this adapter now for a week or so with no
problems so I guess everything's OK.

someone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 16:23:02 -0000, someone wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
message ...
In article ,
someone wrote:
[...]

This thread came to mind yesterday: I bought a new shaver from Lidl (works
very well BTW) and the adaptor is 4.4V - input is 100 - 250V AC, 50 - 60Hz.
Seems that such voltage is more common than I tought as I hadn't known of it
until this thread.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
This thread came to mind yesterday: I bought a new shaver from Lidl
(works very well BTW) and the adaptor is 4.4V - input is 100 - 250V AC,
50 - 60Hz. Seems that such voltage is more common than I tought as I
hadn't known of it until this thread.

That will be a charger rather than a PS designed to replace dry batteries?

--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 10:12:43 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
This thread came to mind yesterday: I bought a new shaver from Lidl
(works very well BTW) and the adaptor is 4.4V - input is 100 - 250V AC,
50 - 60Hz. Seems that such voltage is more common than I tought as I
hadn't known of it until this thread.

That will be a charger rather than a PS designed to replace dry batteries?

er, yes, I think. It said that it had AA rechargeable cells (high capacity:
1.2Ah!) and I was hoping that I could, if necessary, swap them for Eneloops
but there are 2 strips to peel off (and might not go back) and 4 screws. As
it is claimed to do 90 min. on a charge that'll do for now.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

SDS adaptor Clive Dive UK diy 4 November 2nd 12 09:12 PM
15 AMP adaptor Sicilian Dragon Electronics 4 May 9th 10 12:07 AM
BSP waste adaptor? Tim W[_2_] UK diy 3 October 22nd 09 06:56 PM
Any 5C adaptor that could fit this? Ignoramus25244 Metalworking 13 August 3rd 08 03:19 AM
Adaptor Bob Daun Woodturning 1 December 29th 06 07:50 PM