Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Small chainsaw

I am looking to buy a small chainsaw, mainly for cutting logs on a saw
horse, with the very occasional foray into small tree disposal.
Nothing bigger than say 6" dia. Light use.
I am aware of the hazards, my partner is an ex A & E nurse, best mate
is a paramedic, so well aware of hazards, thank you.
Just looking for recommendations as to brand, Stihl, Husqvarna, Ryobi
etc and a good place to buy from. I live in Lincolnshire. From what I
have looked at I am thinking 16" bar, how does that sound?
Thanks guys
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
johno wrote:
I am looking to buy a small chainsaw, mainly for cutting logs on a saw
horse, with the very occasional foray into small tree disposal.
Nothing bigger than say 6" dia. Light use.
I am aware of the hazards, my partner is an ex A & E nurse, best mate
is a paramedic, so well aware of hazards, thank you.
Just looking for recommendations as to brand, Stihl, Husqvarna, Ryobi
etc and a good place to buy from. I live in Lincolnshire. From what I
have looked at I am thinking 16" bar, how does that sound?
Thanks guys

I bought one a couple of years ago for the same fort of jobs. I went to
Screwfix and got their cheapest.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2011 10:18, johno wrote:
I am looking to buy a small chainsaw, mainly for cutting logs on a saw
horse, with the very occasional foray into small tree disposal.
Nothing bigger than say 6" dia. Light use.
I am aware of the hazards, my partner is an ex A& E nurse, best mate
is a paramedic, so well aware of hazards, thank you.
Just looking for recommendations as to brand, Stihl, Husqvarna, Ryobi
etc and a good place to buy from. I live in Lincolnshire. From what I
have looked at I am thinking 16" bar, how does that sound?
Thanks guys

Ok, so you are aware of the damage that they can do to the human body.
Have you considered a course so you can learn how to prevent those
injuries in the first place?

--
Howard Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 10:18 pm, johno wrote:
I am looking to buy a small chainsaw, mainly for cutting logs on a saw
horse, with the very occasional foray into small tree disposal.
Nothing bigger than say 6" dia. Light use.
I am aware of the hazards, my partner is an ex A & E nurse, best mate
is a paramedic, so well aware of hazards, thank you.

If you want safety, I've got a corded Black & Decker Alligator that
has shields on both sides of the saw.
It may not quite manage 6 inch timber. I do cut small trees down with
it, despite what the critics might say.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Deck...LP1000/4200655
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
..com, johno scribeth thus
I am looking to buy a small chainsaw, mainly for cutting logs on a saw
horse, with the very occasional foray into small tree disposal.
Nothing bigger than say 6" dia. Light use.
I am aware of the hazards, my partner is an ex A & E nurse, best mate
is a paramedic, so well aware of hazards, thank you.
Just looking for recommendations as to brand, Stihl, Husqvarna, Ryobi
etc and a good place to buy from. I live in Lincolnshire. From what I
have looked at I am thinking 16" bar, how does that sound?
Thanks guys

We've got one of the small 16 inch bar Husqvarna's 235/8e? and can't
fault it at all. Works very well but a bit of a piggy to start sometimes
but I gather all of them are like that to some extent.

Seem to remember it was £250 or thereabouts and the firm we got it from
up in Cheshire do sell the blood clotting packs too!....

Seriously do allow a few quid for a decent face mask and ear defenders
some proper gauntlets and a jacket and those twill trousers that bind up
the blade should you slip..

Having said that out neighbours who all "get a man in" to do anything
have men in who don't even use safety glasses and call themselves
professionals;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 10:55*am, Howard Neil wrote:
On 28/10/2011 10:18, johno wrote:

I am looking to buy a small chainsaw, mainly for cutting logs on a saw
horse, with the very occasional foray into small tree disposal.
Nothing bigger than say 6" dia. Light use.
I am aware of the hazards, my partner is an ex A& *E nurse, best mate
is a paramedic, so well aware of hazards, thank you.
Just looking for recommendations as to brand, Stihl, Husqvarna, Ryobi
etc and a good place to buy from. I live in Lincolnshire. From what I
have looked at I am thinking 16" bar, how does that sound?
Thanks guys

Ok, so you are aware of the damage that they can do to the human body.
Have you considered a course so you can learn how to prevent those
injuries in the first place?

--
Howard Neil

Yes I have, thank you. Going on a course run by local agricultural
college. Like I say, I am just after advice on what brand etc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2011 11:42, johno wrote:
On Oct 28, 10:55 am, Howard wrote:
[...]

Glad to hear it. In that case, you will learn a lot more about the
various saws on the course (including taking them apart). The two
serious front runners are Stihl and Husqvarna.

Wait until you have started the course before making your decision. I
chose Stihl because they are better made inside and were (at the time I
had my course) easier to dismantle and/or adjust. Some people involved
in forestry prefer Husqvarnas because the chain stops running quicker
than the Stihl and this increases the user's earning potential.

Re the size of bar, you might consider a couple of bars of different
length. I chose a 13" and an 18". Each bar makes it a different saw. The
small bar for logs (and light weight) and the long bar for serious
trees. This also means a spare bar should your saw become jammed. You
just remove the saw from the bar, attach the other bar, and use the saw
to remove the weight of tree that is jamming your other bar.

--
Howard Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 12:35*pm, Howard Neil wrote:
[...]

Very useful tip Howard, thank you. I will not be tackling serious
trees, I will leave that for the pros! I am fortunate to have access
to a lot of coppiced wood or relatively young trees. Maximum trunk dia
I am likely to see is about 6"-8", which is fine for me, less
splitting involved ie one split and not two or more!
Thanks again for tips and advice, most welcome
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
johno writes

Very useful tip Howard, thank you. I will not be tackling serious
trees, I will leave that for the pros! I am fortunate to have access
to a lot of coppiced wood or relatively young trees. Maximum trunk dia
I am likely to see is about 6"-8", which is fine for me, less
splitting involved ie one split and not two or more!
Thanks again for tips and advice, most welcome

If you just wanted to dip a toe in the water you have just missed a
basic Aldi 16" electric model that was on sale in late Sept. Sounds like
you want more than that but thought I'd mention it as it was only 55quid
and there might be a few in the clearance bins.
--
fred
time for a new sig I think . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
johno wrote:
I am looking to buy a small chainsaw, mainly for cutting logs on a saw
horse, with the very occasional foray into small tree disposal.
Nothing bigger than say 6" dia. Light use.
I am aware of the hazards, my partner is an ex A & E nurse, best mate
is a paramedic, so well aware of hazards, thank you.
Just looking for recommendations as to brand, Stihl, Husqvarna, Ryobi
etc and a good place to buy from. I live in Lincolnshire. From what I
have looked at I am thinking 16" bar, how does that sound?
Thanks guys

I've had a Husky with a 13" bar for a few years now, doing just what
you're doing by the sounds of it. Not had anyissue with it...

Actually, I have - thepetrol tube came off he carb once, but it was
an easy fix and I put it in a local shop who gave it a service at the
same time.

Starting is OK - except when hot and it's just run out of petrol -
I can now recognise when it's getting low - it starts to rev higer and
stop it before it's really out which saves a lot of pulling...

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

johno wrote:
I am looking to buy a small chainsaw, mainly for cutting logs on a saw
horse, with the very occasional foray into small tree disposal.
Nothing bigger than say 6" dia. Light use.
I am aware of the hazards, my partner is an ex A & E nurse, best mate
is a paramedic, so well aware of hazards, thank you.
Just looking for recommendations as to brand, Stihl, Husqvarna, Ryobi
etc and a good place to buy from. I live in Lincolnshire. From what I
have looked at I am thinking 16" bar, how does that sound?
Thanks guys

Love my little Stihl.

6" is about the max though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Howard Neil wrote:
[...]

I'll ad an opinion across that one. For me the most dangerous thing is
having a powerful heavy saw that is almost out of control. And yet to do
BIG cuts you need that.

That's why I picked a small one, watched a lot of online videos and
exercised paranoid common sense.I feel MUCH more confident handling it
at its lower weight.

If I need a big cut..I phone a neighbour and offer him money...

You don't NEED all the safety gear, but if it gives you confidence or
you think you might behave like an idiot, use it.

The BIGGEST safety asset is THINK about what you are doing THINK where
it COULD go wrong, and then DONT do it THAT way if there is a chance you
will topple of the ladder, hit a nail and kick back etc. Which is why I
always cut to one side with my face out of the blade plane. And always
wait for the blade to stop before waving the saw around to put it down
especially if someone else is holding the wood, and I DO use a saw horse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1076411 20111028 101802 johno wrote:
I am looking to buy a small chainsaw, mainly for cutting logs on a saw
horse, with the very occasional foray into small tree disposal.
Nothing bigger than say 6" dia. Light use.
I am aware of the hazards, my partner is an ex A & E nurse, best mate
is a paramedic, so well aware of hazards, thank you.
Just looking for recommendations as to brand, Stihl, Husqvarna, Ryobi
etc and a good place to buy from. I live in Lincolnshire. From what I
have looked at I am thinking 16" bar, how does that sound?
Thanks guys

I bought a 30cm Bosch electric chain-saw in '87 when the hurricane brought down
2 of our trees and it's still going strong.
I have 2 chains and send them to a man in Lancashire for sharpening.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

johno wrote:
I am looking to buy a small chainsaw, mainly for cutting logs on a saw
horse, with the very occasional foray into small tree disposal.
Nothing bigger than say 6" dia. Light use.
I am aware of the hazards, my partner is an ex A & E nurse, best mate
is a paramedic, so well aware of hazards, thank you.
Just looking for recommendations as to brand, Stihl, Husqvarna, Ryobi
etc and a good place to buy from. I live in Lincolnshire. From what I
have looked at I am thinking 16" bar, how does that sound?
Thanks guys

Well if you want to see a drunken ******* use his chainsaw attatchment for
the first time try,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TtGQNvuovE

I don't think I did a bad job considering I had spent 2 hours in the pub
before trying it out. The saw was too small for the tree but it worked.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Martin wrote:

in 1076411 20111028 101802 johno wrote:
I am looking to buy a small chainsaw, mainly for cutting logs on a saw
horse, with the very occasional foray into small tree disposal.
Nothing bigger than say 6" dia. Light use.....

I bought a 30cm Bosch electric chain-saw in '87... it's still going strong.

I'll second Bob's opinion, Johno: I bought a Bosch electric (the 35cm
one) a few years ago -- http://tinyurl.com/5waxug2

Without a shadow of a doubt, it's one of my Top Ten Tools! Top Five
even.

I also have a 2-stroke, which has always scared the crap out of me (an
exaggeration, but they make you nervous, those beastly noisy beasts). If
we were talking dogs, the 2-stroke is a Rottweiler formerly owned by a
psychopath, whilst the electric one is a well-behaved Police Alsatian.
If you're not going off into the woods, I can't recommend the Bosch
electric highly enough: fabulous tool.

Cheers
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 10:18*am, johno wrote:
I am looking to buy a small chainsaw, mainly for cutting logs on a saw
horse, with the very occasional foray into small tree disposal.
Nothing bigger than say 6" dia. Light use.
I am aware of the hazards, my partner is an ex A & E nurse, best mate
is a paramedic, so well aware of hazards, thank you.
Just looking for recommendations as to brand, Stihl, Husqvarna, Ryobi
etc and a good place to buy from. I live in Lincolnshire. From what I
have looked at I am thinking 16" bar, how does that sound?
Thanks guys

Consider getting an electric one. A lot less hassle and noise. Less
maintenance. No petrol to fetch/keep/mix. Lighter too.
A 16" bar is far too big for 6" logs. Just means all the consumables
Chains bars etc cost more. Get the chain sharpening stuff too (files
and file tool etc)
If you are concerned about safety, the helmet CW earprotectors and
face mask, gloves and the chainsaw proof trousers. And chain oil.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 10:18*am, johno wrote:
I am looking to buy a small chainsaw, mainly for cutting logs on a saw
horse, with the very occasional foray into small tree disposal.
Nothing bigger than say 6" dia. Light use.

Up to 4", the Black & Decker Alligator "scissor action". Owing to the
scissors, this is a far safer and easier design to use.

For a useful petrol saw, a Ningbo is around a hundred quid with a 45cc
engine and an 18" bar. Widely sold under a range of names (and
prices!) from eBay to Axminster. It's not going to last like a Stihl,
but for this sort of use it's a very good deal.

Search this ng for past comments - I've certainly posted enough.

A good saw horse is a big improvement for safety - in practice, even
more than trousers.

If you don't go on a course and get a ticket, at least read the Stihl
manual (online).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
In article ,
Bob Martin wrote:

[...]

+1 on electric if its up to 6" and near the house.

Cheers
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:25:54 +0100, fred wrote:

If you just wanted to dip a toe in the water you have just missed a
basic Aldi 16" electric model that was on sale in late Sept.

Several still in the Blackburn store last saturday but no of the
multitools. B-(

I was sort of tempted as I do have some quite large timber to cut for
firewood and I have a feeling justa bow saw is going to be hard
work...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the good tips and advice, really useful. The trees I
have access to are not on my land, or near any buildings so electric
is not an option, I think the voltage drop and logistics of a two mile
extension lead are too much of an issue :-)))
Once I get the logs home electric is feasible, but a bit of hassle
with long extension leads, so petrol is my chosen option. Thanks
though for the suggestions.
Johno

Posted to uk.d-i-y

johno wrote:
Thanks for all the good tips and advice, really useful. The trees I
have access to are not on my land, or near any buildings so electric
is not an option, I think the voltage drop and logistics of a two mile
extension lead are too much of an issue :-)))
Once I get the logs home electric is feasible, but a bit of hassle
with long extension leads, so petrol is my chosen option. Thanks
though for the suggestions.
Johno

Handle them all and pick the one you feel comfortable with. Stihl
Husqvarana..ryobi. All good kit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2011 10:18, johno wrote:
I am looking to buy a small chainsaw, mainly for cutting logs on a saw
horse, with the very occasional foray into small tree disposal.
Nothing bigger than say 6" dia. Light use.
I am aware of the hazards, my partner is an ex A& E nurse, best mate
is a paramedic, so well aware of hazards, thank you.
Just looking for recommendations as to brand, Stihl, Husqvarna, Ryobi
etc and a good place to buy from. I live in Lincolnshire. From what I
have looked at I am thinking 16" bar, how does that sound?

You can get quite decent Dolmar / Makita ones for around 200 - 250. I
have an oldish one I acquired from a friend when he retired. Easy to
start and not too heavy. Spares easily available etc.

Another option possibly worth looking at are the 10" pruner saws (like
in Adam's video). These go on a brushcutter and are designed for long
reach trimming etc. They are quite good at logging as well, and have the
safety advantage that the length of the pole puts the user out of the
kickback radius.

If you are not used to using one for logging, then take care to have
frequent rests and watch your posture, otherwise its quite easy to
stress the left arm supporting the saw while cutting logs. I once ended
up with rather sore muscles on the underside of my left forearm that
took quite a number of weeks to fully recover after a prolonged logging
bout.

Unless you like eating sawdust, then those forestry helmets with the
mesh visor and ear muffs are very worthwhile.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 1:05*pm, John Rumm wrote:
Unless you like eating sawdust, then those forestry helmets with the
mesh visor and ear muffs are very worthwhile.

Chainsaws shouldn't make sawdust. If your saw is making dust, not
chips, it's overdue for sharpening.

Hats are good though. I've never (yet!) dropped a branch on my head,
but I've head-butted plenty of them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2011 13:32, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Oct 29, 1:05 pm, John wrote:
Unless you like eating sawdust, then those forestry helmets with the
mesh visor and ear muffs are very worthwhile.

Chainsaws shouldn't make sawdust. If your saw is making dust, not
chips, it's overdue for sharpening.

Sorry, poor choice of terminology. Either way, if its windy out, or you
are using a pruning saw above you head, or climbing with a chainsaw,
then you really need a visor!

Hats are good though. I've never (yet!) dropped a branch on my head,
but I've head-butted plenty of them.

;-)

Walking into the sharp end of a branch that you thought you cut above
head height as well (DAMHIK)

Shoes with toe caps are good for when logging as well.

--
Cheers,

John.