Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Who is Roger Wade of Boxpark?

This is in the nature of a d-i-y project, typical of New Zealanders.
Perhaps some of you in the UK know of Boxpark.

Boxpark director Roger Wade seems peeved that a temporary mall has
been built in Christchurch NZ after some 6000 earthquakes have
demolished much of the city..
The mall has been built out of shipping containers.
Does Boxpark want money for this rather obvious idea?
Is Boxpark subject to earthquakes? I think not.
Can somebody please tell Roger Wade to pull his head in?

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/newsdeta...storyid=207705

The director of a British company taking legal action against
Christchurch's City Mall project wants an apology.

The Restart project is being accused of copying a pop-up mall in
London.

Boxpark director Roger Wade says members of the Restart team visited
the Shoreditch mall in April to inspire ideas.

He says he wants to stress they aren't doing this for financial gain.

"We just want the Restart initiative and the Government who's backing
the Restart initiative to recognise, as already has been recognised in
emails that we've recived from them, that this idea to create a pop-up
mall from chipping containers came from Boxpark."

Mr Wade says if this happened, he would be happy to sit down with
Restart organisers and talk it through.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 8:04*am, Matty F wrote:
[...]

I suspect that Boxpark don't want to let this go - because if they do,
they have little hope of enforcing a patent anywhere else.

But - a condition of granting a patent is "must not be obvious".

(and from my experience, I think the threshold should be very, very
much higher, i.e. unless it took a lot of time and money to develop,
and is genuinely clever - then it doesn't deserve a patent)

As shipping containers are frequently used as temporary offices/
industrial/residential units - it's obvious.

(and in UK/Europe, you can't get a patent on a business process - US,
you can).

I'm sure we wouldn't have to look far to find some prior art either.

Sorry - but aggressive litigation riding on the back of pathetically
obvious patents seems to be becoming the norm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 9:14 pm, " wrote:

I suspect that Boxpark don't want to let this go - because if they do,
they have little hope of enforcing a patent anywhere else.

I have discovered that Boxpark will not be opening until December
2011.
Since the Christchrch mall is opening this Saturday 29 October 2011,
Boxpark is in fact not the "World’s 1st Pop Up Department Store".

http://mallsecrets.co.uk/boxpark-ope...shopping-mall/

Boxpark marketing announced (on the 17th October 2011) that the
“World’s 1st Pop Up Department Store” will open to the public in
December 2011.

Boxpark’s opening date has shifted twice. At first it was due to open
in August 2011, which was then moved back to October 2011. So it’s
fingers crossed for their December launch.

http://www.avalonsguide.com/anab/201...itch-thinking/

What on Earth are Boxpark Shoreditch thinking???
October 27, 2011 by Avalon

As a negative publicity own-goal Boxpark Shoreditch appear to have
scored.

The City Mall Restart project is being threatened with legal
action after being accused of copying a “pop-up mall” in London.

Director of the London Boxpark development Roger Wade emailed City
Mall Restart organisers accusing them of a “blatant breach of the
Boxpark intellectual property rights”.

“Boxpark has now instructed legal action against the owners of
City Mall – Pop Up Mall for intellectual property rights
infringement,” he said.

Right – so because “Boxpark” were the first people to think of turning
containers into shops – Christchurch are “stealing intellectual
property” by thinking the same thing might be a class idea to help
while we rebuild an entire bloddy city.

But City Mall organisers have hit back, claiming Boxpark was being
“precious” and there were no similarities between the projects.

I think calling them “precious” is incredibly polite.

Seriously – Boxpark – you are an embarrassment to the UK. Instead of
being all arty-farty-silly-buggers what you should have done is wished
City Mall the best of luck and asked if they needed any help. Instead
you look silly, petty and selfish – and unbeleiveably naff.

New Zealand has been using Containers for years. We use them for
prisons and we use them for housing. You are not significantly clever
for coming up with the idea – so what if you are the “first” to decide
to use them for shops instead of homes.

Bear in mind that while Boxpark are creating a pop-up mall because
they want to be leaders and clever – City Mall are doing it because
their city has been utterly destroyed by a flippin earthquake. Some
perspective is perhaps warranted.

Go City mall! And shame on Boxpark Shoreditch.

City mall opens on Saturday. This is a big deal for Christchurch –
good luck to them!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 9:14*am, " wrote:
On Oct 28, 8:04*am, Matty F wrote:

[...]

Nor can you get one in the UK once the idea has been disclosed. In the
US you have 12 months from first public disclosure.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2011 10:42, Man at B&Q wrote:
On Oct 28, 9:14 am, wrote:
On Oct 28, 8:04 am, Matty wrote:

[...]

Roger Wade appears to be your typical British businessman in the Lord
Sugar mode i.e. a spiv with no vision.
These guys OTOH
http://travel.nytimes.com/2006/09/17...7foraging.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nor can you get one in the UK once the idea has been disclosed. In the
US you have 12 months from first public disclosure.

Same everywhere, the application must concern an idea that is "not in
the public domain" - a phrase that means describing it on tv/radio/
print/in a lecture open to the public - basically anything that isn't
a "private communication".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 8:04*am, Matty F wrote:
[...]

A quick search has turned up his patent application:

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publi...=2472501A&KC=A

http://tinyurl.com/44hsoe4

The patent is incredibly poor (and I've read a lot of patents), but it
has probably been prepared by a professional patent lawyer (though I
would have expected a half-way decent one would have sent him away,
rather than taken his money)

BUT - note the "publication date" - 2011-02-09

That date is always 12 months after the "filing date" (the date you
actually sent the stuff to the patent office).

Basically once you "file", you have 12 months of radio-silence to
start exploiting your idea - until it's published.

But you still haven't *got* your patent.

There then follows another 12 months for anyone to challenge the
patent, by either making the patent office, the patent holder, or his
lawyer aware of any prior art.

A common trick in making a challenge is to make the patent holder's
lawyer aware - he/she then has a duty to pass that information on to
the patent office - for which he/she may then try to charge the client
for the cost of the lawyer's time!

Just sending a photo in should do the trick - particularly if the date
can easily be verified e.g. a newspaper photo or bit of tv footage.

This isn't yet a done deal - the patent isn't yet "granted".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Nor can you get one in the UK once the idea has been disclosed. In the
US you have 12 months from first public disclosure.

Same everywhere, the application must concern an idea that is "not in
the public domain" - a phrase that means describing it on tv/radio/
print/in a lecture open to the public - basically anything that isn't
a "private communication".

Prior art:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Park

(Written in 1981) The operators of the park use a system of relocatable
dwelling units, which are located by crane and plug in to central
services, as staff housing. You *might* be able to claim that using the
same idea for shops is novel enough to get a patent, but I doubt it.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 9:14*am, " wrote:
On Oct 28, 8:04*am, Matty F wrote:

[...]

Good ****ing grief , he has actually obtained some form of Euro
patent:

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publi...=2472501A&KC=A

Euro Patent system following U.S. model, patent the bleeding obvious.

His linked in page

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/rogerwade1

international litigation against a country where he dosen`t hold a
patent may be less than worthwhile for him.....

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publi...o?FT=D&date=20....

Euro Patent system following U.S. model, patent the bleeding obvious.

His linked in page

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/rogerwade1

international litigation against a country where he dosen`t hold a
patent may be less than worthwhile for him.....

Cheers
Adam

Patent appears to have more holes than a collander, has tried to
patent organising cotainers into a group and providing passageways
inbetween them. Portakabin may have some prior art on that one.

Also no mention of services, electrical, plumbing HVAC , er, nothing.

Claim for pre fitted retail units in container sized chunks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:
On Oct 28, 9:14 am, " wrote:

Good ****ing grief , he has actually obtained some form of Euro
patent:

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publi...=2472501A&KC=A

Euro Patent system following U.S. model, patent the bleeding obvious.

His linked in page

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/rogerwade1

international litigation against a country where he dosen`t hold a
patent may be less than worthwhile for him.....

I've got this idea for a round thing you put on the end of a rod, which
makes it easier to move stuff round. D'you think I could get a patent on
it? There's also this way of extracting stored chemical energy by
oxidation, what d'you reckon?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 9:14*am, " wrote:

On Oct 28, 8:04*am, Matty F wrote:

[...]

....finger problems....

...pre fitted container sized chunks, McDonalds drive throughs have
been built this way for sometime.

He may have some from of UK `patent` its enforceabilty dosen`t look at
all good, even in the UK,outside the U.K.....

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Adam Aglionby writes

..pre fitted container sized chunks, McDonalds drive throughs have
been built this way for sometime.

He may have some from of UK `patent` its enforceabilty dosen`t look at
all good, even in the UK,outside the U.K.....

Shall we nip round and boot him up the arse, sounds like exactly what he
needs.
--
fred
. . . . arse, just arse!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 8:04*am, Matty F wrote:
[...]

Another market here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPiQd6JTV3M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 12:16 am, Adam Aglionby wrote:

international litigation against a country where he dosen`t hold a
patent may be less than worthwhile for him.....

Especially as all political parties in NZ will be happy to make a
retrospective law that none of Roger Wade's alleged patents are valid
in NZ. There is a history of overseas companies threatening NZ
companies for allegedly infinging on a trademarked name (e.g. certain
names beginning with H). And a history of NZ companies thumbing their
noses at such claims.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 7:22 am, harry wrote:

Another market here.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPiQd6JTV3M

"Uniqlo Shipping Container Pop-up Store

This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your
country [NZ] on copyright grounds."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Matty F writes
On Oct 29, 7:22 am, harry wrote:

Another market here.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPiQd6JTV3M

"Uniqlo Shipping Container Pop-up Store

This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your
country [NZ] on copyright grounds."

2 separate, non interlinked containers used as pop up stores in a
pedestrian square in NY, not really representative of the alleged
boxtw*t concept.

Would welcome links to or pics of the NZ setup when it opens up.
--
fred
time for a new sig I think . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:15:00 -0700, Matty F wrote:

On Oct 29, 12:16 am, Adam Aglionby wrote:

international litigation against a country where he dosen`t hold a
patent may be less than worthwhile for him.....

Especially as all political parties in NZ will be happy to make a
retrospective law that none of Roger Wade's alleged patents are valid in
NZ. There is a history of overseas companies threatening NZ companies
for allegedly infinging on a trademarked name (e.g. certain names
beginning with H).

Yes, that one came to mind when this thread was started.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 4:31*pm, fred wrote:
In article
,
Matty F writes

On Oct 29, 7:22 am, harry wrote:

Another market here.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPiQd6JTV3M

"Uniqlo Shipping Container Pop-up Store

This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your
country [NZ] on copyright grounds."

2 separate, non interlinked containers used as pop up stores in a
pedestrian square in NY, not really representative of the alleged
boxtw*t concept.

Dunno, think its where he ripped off the idea from, launching indie
brands, check, in `pop up` stores,check, in urban locations,check, in
2007, about when he was doing his degree...

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...107_page_2.htm

Think he may find there is such a thing as bad publicity, as a smal
brand trying to launch into UK market would you want associated with
this guy?

perhaps there is a list of his potential tenants with email addresses
somewhere.....

Cheers
Adam

Would welcome links to or pics of the NZ setup when it opens up.
--
fred
time for a new sig I think . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 9:31 am, fred wrote:

Would welcome links to or pics of the NZ setup when it opens up.

At work we've had a large storage area consisting of a central
courtyard built from containers three high with a roof over the whole
lot.
Not a shopping mall, but thieves may treat it as one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publi...o?DB=EPODOC&II....

[...]

The patent lawyer involved would be;

Murgitroyd & Company
Scotland House
165-169 Scotland Street
Glasgow
G5 8PL
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 141 307 8400
Fax: +44 (0) 141 307 8401

http://www.murgitroyd.com/

Because its subject of a new application, TBH if this is Murkydroid
and Co`s idea of a patent wouldn`t be cutting them any cheques:

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/p-find-publica...lNum ber=6351

So if anyone`s bored and feels like making an objection to a patent,
email is

looks like he can afford the legal fees, but many objections make big
fees.

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/03585719

Which is Brands Inc Ltd listed alongside Boxpark Ltd on the
boxpark.co.uk site as involved

Brands Inc Ltd trades as

http://www.sports-direct-international.com

Which Roger Wade is not on the board of or even a non executive
director.

He is a director of Boxpark Ltd formed last year with no filed
accounts as yet.

Sports Direct does have large sections about coprporate governance and
responsibilty though, perhaps they should be told of the actions of an
assosciate in their name.

List of tenants for Boxpark does make interesting reading, first one
leaps off the page

http://mallsecrets.co.uk/boxpark-sho...editch-london/

Amnesty International who are recruiting for vounteers to man their
box at boxpark.

Do wonder if Amnesty would be confident of backing their landlord in
his current action, think they should have the chance to know...

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/jobs_details.asp?ID=502

Anyone bored enough with an hour to spare and a bit more searching for
emails should be able to make Mr Wade sorry he woke up in the morning.

Even more effective from New Zealand email addresses Matty, tell your
friends, personally stuck in waiting for courier Monday may have to
object to an obvious patent....

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 00:04:45 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
wrote:

This is in the nature of a d-i-y project, typical of New Zealanders.
Perhaps some of you in the UK know of Boxpark.

I don't know of him, or of Boxpark, but from what I've gleaned, he
seems like a right div.