Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mesh filters in cooker hoods

After resiting my cooker hood and reading through the instructions I noticed
that the mesh filters (metal) should not be cleaned in a dishwasher.
In my previous house I done them once a month in the dishwasher for 15 years
and it didnt seem to affect them.
Anyone know why not? The only thing I can think of is the mesh trapping
food particles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"SS" writes:
After resiting my cooker hood and reading through the instructions I noticed
that the mesh filters (metal) should not be cleaned in a dishwasher.
In my previous house I done them once a month in the dishwasher for 15 years
and it didnt seem to affect them.
Anyone know why not? The only thing I can think of is the mesh trapping
food particles.

They're normally made of aluminium mesh, which dissolves in dishwasher
detergent. Maybe your old ones were made of something else?

Having said that, I've washed them in the dishwasher occasionally,
between lettings. They have a large surface area which can trap an
enormous amount of grease, and they need about twice the dose of
detergent that a full dishwasher would normally have (at least, if
you only do them occasionally).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/23/2011 4:00 PM, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
writes:
After resiting my cooker hood and reading through the instructions I noticed
that the mesh filters (metal) should not be cleaned in a dishwasher.
In my previous house I done them once a month in the dishwasher for 15 years
and it didnt seem to affect them.
Anyone know why not? The only thing I can think of is the mesh trapping
food particles.

They're normally made of aluminium mesh, which dissolves in dishwasher
detergent. Maybe your old ones were made of something else?

Having said that, I've washed them in the dishwasher occasionally,
between lettings. They have a large surface area which can trap an
enormous amount of grease, and they need about twice the dose of
detergent that a full dishwasher would normally have (at least, if
you only do them occasionally).

Many of them do seem to be aluminium. Mine are stainless, and came with
directions to use the dishwasher to clean them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 20:45:30 +0100, "SS"
wrote:

After resiting my cooker hood and reading through the instructions I noticed
that the mesh filters (metal) should not be cleaned in a dishwasher.
In my previous house I done them once a month in the dishwasher for 15 years
and it didnt seem to affect them.

If they are aluminium (most are) dishwater detergent causes them to
become oxidised and turn a dull and swirly black in parts.

Anyone know why not? The only thing I can think of is the mesh trapping
food particles.

In your previous house either they weren't ali, or were black from day
one and therefore you never saw them any different.

Derek G
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

After resiting my cooker hood and reading through the instructions I
noticed
that the mesh filters (metal) should not be cleaned in a dishwasher.
In my previous house I done them once a month in the dishwasher for 15
years
and it didnt seem to affect them.

If they are aluminium (most are) dishwater detergent causes them to
become oxidised and turn a dull and swirly black in parts.

Anyone know why not? The only thing I can think of is the mesh trapping
food particles.

In your previous house either they weren't ali, or were black from day
one and therefore you never saw them any different.

Derek G

Havent a clue. They were shiny and went in the dishwasher and remained
bright and clean.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , SS
writes
After resiting my cooker hood and reading through the instructions I noticed
that the mesh filters (metal) should not be cleaned in a dishwasher.
In my previous house I done them once a month in the dishwasher for 15 years
and it didnt seem to affect them.
Anyone know why not? The only thing I can think of is the mesh trapping
food particles.

I clean ours in the sink with hot water and Oxyclean. All the grease
just floats off.
--
hugh

cooker hoods sm_jamieson UK diy 27 December 30th 10 10:41 AM
Cooker Hoods mark UK diy 7 November 16th 08 03:21 PM
Advice on cooker hoods Gogs UK diy 13 August 3rd 06 12:35 PM
Cooker hoods and charcoal filters Lobster UK diy 5 January 24th 05 08:06 PM
Cooker Hoods Me UK diy 3 August 25th 03 02:14 PM