Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Piggin B&Q!

Had a decking job to finish yesterday, needed the balustrade - so off to
B&Q early to pick it up.

Only there since my timber merchant stopped stocking the double rail
system I prefer - but to my surprise B&Q are cheaper with my Trade point
card.

Loaded 44 spindles, 12 hand/base rails & 6 posts onto the trolley &
proceeded to checkout;

Checkout Droid; I'll have to unload the trolley & scan each item separately.

TMH; Why don't you scan one & count them?

CD; B&Q policy says I have to scan each one.

TMH; In Wickes they scan one & count them.

CD; This isn't Wickes.

TMH; How long will it take?

CD; Don't know but I have to do it.

TMH; Get a manager here, this is ridiculous.

Droid ignores request & carries on unloading.

TMH; Can you get someone to help? I haven't got all day & there are 5
people queuing.

Droid ignores request & carries on unloading.

People in queue are now muttering (garden centre exit, only one till open)

Lady in queue; Can you get someone to open another till, I've been here
10 mins already?

Droid ignores request & carries on unloading.

CD; It would be quicker if you helped.

TMH (now slightly grumpy); You can do it yourself if you insist on being
stupid.

25 minutes later, trolley reloaded, bill paid.

TMH; There are 63 items on the receipt, you have overcharged me by one
spindle!

Why do I bother going there?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes

Why do I bother going there?

Because, in your own words,

a) B&Q are cheaper with my Trade point card.

b) Only there since my timber merchant stopped stocking the double rail
system I prefer

:-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 12, 8:40*pm, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
[...]

Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Talk to the manager - they certainly count stuff at my local B&Q.

Get that droid moved to non-customer-facing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It only takes one idiot to ruin the reputation of a whole chain. Those in
charge should realise this and make sure their staff are trained and possess
common sense and the ability to think occasionally.

Maybe their rate of pay precludes these things.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 20:40:50 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

Had a decking job to finish yesterday, needed the balustrade - so off to
B&Q early to pick it up.

Only there since my timber merchant stopped stocking the double rail
system I prefer - but to my surprise B&Q are cheaper with my Trade point
card.

Loaded 44 spindles, 12 hand/base rails & 6 posts onto the trolley &
proceeded to checkout;

Checkout Droid; I'll have to unload the trolley & scan each item separately.

TMH; Why don't you scan one & count them?

CD; B&Q policy says I have to scan each one.

TMH; In Wickes they scan one & count them.

A solution to this, other than avoid B&Q, is to remove all the barcode
labels except one per item type.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 09:33:01 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

It only takes one idiot to ruin the reputation of a whole chain.
Those in charge should realise this and make sure their staff are
trained and possess common sense and the ability to think
occasionally.

Maybe their rate of pay precludes these things.

Brian

What no one has spotted is that said droid..... IS the manager!
R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Had a decking job to finish yesterday, needed the balustrade - so off to
B&Q early to pick it up.

Only there since my timber merchant stopped stocking the double rail
system I prefer - but to my surprise B&Q are cheaper with my Trade point
card.

Loaded 44 spindles, 12 hand/base rails & 6 posts onto the trolley &
proceeded to checkout;

Checkout Droid; I'll have to unload the trolley & scan each item separately.

I wonder if this is some new policy of theirs, as our B&Q always used to
take my word for how many of each were on the trolley. Lidl has also
recently decided that everything has to be scanned instead of entering
quantities as they used to - which has slowed things right down since
we get through so much of some items.

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nick Leverton wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Had a decking job to finish yesterday, needed the balustrade - so off to
B&Q early to pick it up.

Only there since my timber merchant stopped stocking the double rail
system I prefer - but to my surprise B&Q are cheaper with my Trade point
card.

Loaded 44 spindles, 12 hand/base rails & 6 posts onto the trolley &
proceeded to checkout;

Checkout Droid; I'll have to unload the trolley & scan each item
separately.

I wonder if this is some new policy of theirs, as our B&Q always used to
take my word for how many of each were on the trolley. Lidl has also
recently decided that everything has to be scanned instead of entering
quantities as they used to - which has slowed things right down since
we get through so much of some items.

not as bad as in the manual days at Woolworth where the young lady solemnly
rang up 25 lights bulbs at 10p each.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 09:33:51 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Block and Quail will be turning in their graves.

Brian

Block will ****ed off , He isn't dead yet.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian Gaff
scribeth thus
It only takes one idiot to ruin the reputation of a whole chain. Those in
charge should realise this and make sure their staff are trained and possess
common sense and the ability to think occasionally.

British management....

Maybe their rate of pay precludes these things.

Well if you'd just seem what I had up at our hospital today no bl^^dy
wonder the NHS is costing the earth to run;!....

Brian

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2011 10:48 charles wrote:

not as bad as in the manual days at Woolworth where the young lady solemnly
rang up 25 lights bulbs at 10p each.

Hopefully, she never worked on the Pick-and-Mix...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

[...]

Most of the tills at my local B&Q are now self-service - you do the
scanning yourself and there is no need for staff involvement at all...

--
Kev

Justice? You get justice in the next world,
in this world you have the law...
William Gaddis

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , says...

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Had a decking job to finish yesterday, needed the balustrade - so off to
B&Q early to pick it up.

Only there since my timber merchant stopped stocking the double rail
system I prefer - but to my surprise B&Q are cheaper with my Trade point
card.

Loaded 44 spindles, 12 hand/base rails & 6 posts onto the trolley &
proceeded to checkout;

Checkout Droid; I'll have to unload the trolley & scan each item separately.

I wonder if this is some new policy of theirs, as our B&Q always used to
take my word for how many of each were on the trolley. Lidl has also
recently decided that everything has to be scanned instead of entering
quantities as they used to - which has slowed things right down since
we get through so much of some items.

B&Q have definitely gone downhill over the years. Frequently they don't
have what I want in stock - and it irritates me to some tune that you
can longer buyer electrical cable by the metre. If I want three metres
of mains cable - then that is what I want - not a pre-cut roll of five
metres. If I want a dozen screws of a particular size - then that is
what I want - not a pack of 50. Why can they no longer sell screws/nails
etc by weight - and then you can place as many or as few as you wish
into a bag?

--
Kev

Justice? You get justice in the next world,
in this world you have the law...
William Gaddis
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 13, 12:27 pm, "Ret." wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

and you get to scan all the multiple items yourself too ;))

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 13, 12:31 pm, "Ret." wrote:
In article , says...

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

elfin safty? terrorist threat? computer says no? punters passing off
heavy items as "nails" at self-service check outs? demand /sales vs
shelf space occupied?
take your pick

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ret. wrote:

B&Q have definitely gone downhill over the years. Frequently they don't
have what I want in stock - and it irritates me to some tune that you
can longer buyer electrical cable by the metre. If I want three metres
of mains cable - then that is what I want - not a pre-cut roll of five
metres. If I want a dozen screws of a particular size - then that is
what I want - not a pack of 50. Why can they no longer sell screws/nails
etc by weight - and then you can place as many or as few as you wish
into a bag?

Since my local small electrical supplier closed, cable by the metre comes
from Wilko's around here, though they don't do screws by weight either -
does anywhere any more ?

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Why do you think they call it "Be here and Q" !

TMH; *There are 63 items on the receipt, you have overcharged me by one
spindle!

Why do I bother going there?

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:20:21 +0000 (UTC), Nick Leverton
wrote:

In article ,
Ret. wrote:

B&Q have definitely gone downhill over the years. Frequently they don't
have what I want in stock - and it irritates me to some tune that you
can longer buyer electrical cable by the metre. If I want three metres
of mains cable - then that is what I want - not a pre-cut roll of five
metres. If I want a dozen screws of a particular size - then that is
what I want - not a pack of 50. Why can they no longer sell screws/nails
etc by weight - and then you can place as many or as few as you wish
into a bag?

Since my local small electrical supplier closed, cable by the metre comes
from Wilko's around here, though they don't do screws by weight either -
does anywhere any more ?

I've never come across screws being sold by weight. Nails, yes.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:20:21 +0000, Nick Leverton wrote:
Since my local small electrical supplier closed, cable by the metre
comes from Wilko's around here, though they don't do screws by weight
either - does anywhere any more ?

My local farm supply place does, but then I'm in the US. They have rows
upon rows of storage bins containing screws, nails, nuts, washers etc.
and a supply of bags that the customer can use, along with scales for
them to calculate weight. Write the product code and the weight on the
bag, then take it to the front desk (where they sometimes re-weigh it and
sometimes just take your word for it). Everything seems to be far
cheaper than the big DIY sheds and of equal or better quality.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2011 13:20, Nick Leverton wrote:
In ,
wrote:

B&Q have definitely gone downhill over the years. Frequently they don't
have what I want in stock - and it irritates me to some tune that you
can longer buyer electrical cable by the metre. If I want three metres
of mains cable - then that is what I want - not a pre-cut roll of five
metres. If I want a dozen screws of a particular size - then that is
what I want - not a pack of 50. Why can they no longer sell screws/nails
etc by weight - and then you can place as many or as few as you wish
into a bag?

Since my local small electrical supplier closed, cable by the metre comes
from Wilko's around here, though they don't do screws by weight either -
does anywhere any more ?

Nick

Brian's in Brigg - recommended.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 13, 1:46*pm, Frank Erskine
wrote:

I've never come across screws being sold by weight. Nails, yes.

That's how I remember it - nails by weight, screws priced per screw or
some multiple, depending on size. The last time I wanted to buy a
small quantity (you don't buy very many 6" No 12 screws!) the local
place did it, but they closed down a couple of years ago when the
owner retired.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

B&Q have definitely gone downhill over the years. Frequently they don't
have what I want in stock - and it irritates me to some tune that you
can longer buyer electrical cable by the metre. If I want three metres
of mains cable - then that is what I want - not a pre-cut roll of five
metres. If I want a dozen screws of a particular size - then that is
what I want - not a pack of 50. Why can they no longer sell screws/nails
etc by weight - and then you can place as many or as few as you wish
into a bag?

Since my local small electrical supplier closed, cable by the metre comes
from Wilko's around here, though they don't do screws by weight either -
does anywhere any more ?

Nick

Brian's in Brigg - recommended.

Yebbut that's a long way to go for a screw ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
[snip]

I've never come across screws being sold by weight. Nails, yes.

Local place sells screws by weight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Nick Leverton
scribeth thus
In article ,
Ret. wrote:

B&Q have definitely gone downhill over the years. Frequently they don't
have what I want in stock - and it irritates me to some tune that you
can longer buyer electrical cable by the metre. If I want three metres
of mains cable - then that is what I want - not a pre-cut roll of five
metres. If I want a dozen screws of a particular size - then that is
what I want - not a pack of 50. Why can they no longer sell screws/nails
etc by weight - and then you can place as many or as few as you wish
into a bag?

Since my local small electrical supplier closed, cable by the metre comes
from Wilko's around here, though they don't do screws by weight either -
does anywhere any more ?

Nick

Mackays or Ridgeons in Cambridge do them in very small quantities if you
just need a few.

Haven't seen anyone do them by weight for ages..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 13, 6:33 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Jethro wrote:
On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 05:24:48 +0000, D.M.Chapman wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

Talk to the manager - they certainly count stuff at my local B&Q.

Aye, same here. Not very accurately admittedly, but at least they try
:-)

Maybe they just can't count in chatham?

Get that droid moved to non-customer-facing.

and get yourself a tenner off your next shop or something as
compensation for your wasted time :-)

Darren

To be fair, there are some items which can look identical in a casual
glance, but are actually different, with significant price
differences. It's not unheard of for a customer to present the
cheaper item, and then wave to the more expensive "other 20" and the
checkout operator does a x20 entry.

After all most B&Q checkout operators clearly aren't employed because
of their familiarity with the product ranges.

I bought a toolbox from B&Q. It was just after opening time and very quiet.
The security guard wanted to look in the box as I left the till. I pointed
out that the checkout girl had just checked the box. He then told me that I
could be working with the checkout girl to steal stuff.

nice work environment!

(I expect he wanted his share... ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The trick at B&Q is to buy the expensive item. You then load it onto your
van and quickly return into the shop, place another identical expensive item
onto the trolley and a few cheap items. You can of course show the checkout
girl and the security guard the receipt for the expensive item that you
bought 5 minutes ago and claim that you had "forgotten the cheaper items"
and had just nipped back into the shop for the cheaper items.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Jim
K writes

wrote:

[...]

Reminds me of the (very) old joke about the guy stealing wheelbarrows
--
hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nick Leverton
writes
In article ,
Ret. wrote:

B&Q have definitely gone downhill over the years. Frequently they don't
have what I want in stock - and it irritates me to some tune that you
can longer buyer electrical cable by the metre. If I want three metres
of mains cable - then that is what I want - not a pre-cut roll of five
metres. If I want a dozen screws of a particular size - then that is
what I want - not a pack of 50. Why can they no longer sell screws/nails
etc by weight - and then you can place as many or as few as you wish
into a bag?

Since my local small electrical supplier closed, cable by the metre comes
from Wilko's around here, though they don't do screws by weight either -
does anywhere any more ?

Nick

Local timbermerchany/DIY store will sell you any number of screws or
bolts you want from one upwards.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
Had a decking job to finish yesterday, needed the balustrade - so off
to B&Q early to pick it up.

Only there since my timber merchant stopped stocking the double rail
system I prefer - but to my surprise B&Q are cheaper with my Trade
point card.

Loaded 44 spindles, 12 hand/base rails & 6 posts onto the trolley &
proceeded to checkout;

Checkout Droid; I'll have to unload the trolley & scan each item separately.

Worked to my advantage quite accidentally I hasten to add when we went
to pickup some kitchen unit door.
We came across the 300s first so laid them side by side, then 400s the
same. Finally the 600s on top, taking care to ensure the barcodes were
on the outside.
Check out girl got her long lead scanner and went down the side logging
the codes - but only went down one side. Only realised it when we got
outside thinking that the bill wasn't quite as much was we were
expecting.

Now you could say we should have gone back in to customer service and
told them what had happened. On the other hand the poor girl would then
have got a right bollocking and probably been sacked.
So in the end I subdued my conscience and went off.

--
hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2011 14:33, Pete Shew wrote:
Brian's in Brigg - recommended.

I'd like to plug Thorns in Norwich.

I wish they weren't three hours drive away, but good when I'm there.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 18:58:16 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

A solution to this, other than avoid B&Q, is to remove all the

barcode
labels except one per item type.

Oh I like that :-)

I don't think it would work. Droid would summon another driod who
would have to take the un barcoded item(s) to the right place in the
store and get the code from the shelf edge ticket... Each
individually of course. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.