Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default removing a chimney breast

its 25 years since i last did this .
I ve got in mind that you need to tell building control if you are
going to do this .

Am i correct ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 6, 3:15*pm, paul wrote:
its 25 years since i last did this .
I ve got in mind that you need to tell building control if you are
going to do this .

Am i correct ?

Probably. I didn't when I got my builder to take one out in a first-
floor bedroom, but as the previous owners had taken out the one in the
kitchen immediately below it, I was inclined to just act...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 6, 3:15*pm, paul wrote:
its 25 years since i last did this .
I ve got in mind that you need to tell building control if you are
going to do this .

Am i correct ?

Probably. When I had a builder remove one from a bedroom many years
ago, we didn't bother, but as the previous owners had removed the one
from the kitchen below, it seemed a sensible course of action...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
paul writes:
its 25 years since i last did this .
I ve got in mind that you need to tell building control if you are
going to do this .

Am i correct ?

25 years ago when my neighbour did this, they only wanted to know
if you were removing a section of chimney whilst a higher section
still remained. If you took it down from the top, they didn't
want to know.

No idea if this still applies, and it may vary by area.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Sep 6, 3:15*pm, paul wrote:
its 25 years since i last did this .
I ve got in mind that you need to tell building control if you are
going to do this .

Am i correct ?

I think the answer has to be yes: We recently sold my father's house
and the sale was nearly sunk by the absence of any documentation from
when he took out a chimney breast. Finally, we convinced the buyers
that it was done before 1984 when the regs started, so didn't need
approval. (This was true, but we didn't want to point out that my
father would never have considered asking permission to do whatever he
wanted with his own house) I seem to recall that there's also a
requirement to do something if it's on a party wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

paul wrote:
its 25 years since i last did this .
I ve got in mind that you need to tell building control if you are
going to do this .

Am i correct ?

I've done several of these in my area ( funnily enough, all in my own
road... It's all I seem to have done 'that' locally!)

Look at building control on your councils website. Mine (Hertsmere) had a
PDF download specifically for chimney breast removal. If you are leaving
the chimney then a gallows bracket will need to be installed and this comes
under BCO as it is load bearing. Some councils do not permit the use of
Gallows brackets and insist on alternative methods of support as they
prevent your neighbour doing same to his chimney breast at a later date on
adjacent side of party wall, where the stack is 'shared'

If still in doubt give the BCO a call, they're there to help and seem to
appreciate those who call first rather than just acting. While a formal PWA
is not always required, a letter and chat with your neighbour to avoid
pictures and treasured ornaments being flung from Walls and mantlepieces is
also advisable.

Enjoy...

What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com

Removing Chimney breast freepo UK diy 4 April 7th 07 08:12 AM
Removing chimney breast [email protected] UK diy 3 April 13th 06 08:43 AM
After removing a chimney breast Mikey UK diy 5 November 21st 05 10:17 AM
Removing chimney breast... Owain UK diy 8 August 29th 04 02:14 AM
Removing Chimney breast in bedroom Greg UK diy 5 January 4th 04 04:08 PM