Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dean Heighington[_2_] Dean Heighington[_2_] is offline

Default removing a chimney breast

paul wrote:
its 25 years since i last did this .
I ve got in mind that you need to tell building control if you are
going to do this .

Am i correct ?

I've done several of these in my area ( funnily enough, all in my own
road... It's all I seem to have done 'that' locally!)

Look at building control on your councils website. Mine (Hertsmere) had a
PDF download specifically for chimney breast removal. If you are leaving
the chimney then a gallows bracket will need to be installed and this comes
under BCO as it is load bearing. Some councils do not permit the use of
Gallows brackets and insist on alternative methods of support as they
prevent your neighbour doing same to his chimney breast at a later date on
adjacent side of party wall, where the stack is 'shared'

If still in doubt give the BCO a call, they're there to help and seem to
appreciate those who call first rather than just acting. While a formal PWA
is not always required, a letter and chat with your neighbour to avoid
pictures and treasured ornaments being flung from Walls and mantlepieces is
also advisable.

Enjoy...

What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com