Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing Chimney breast

Wondering about a house I am thinking of buying. It has chimney
breasts which take up room space downstairs aswell as upstairs in
bedrooms. If I could remove the chimney breasts it would increase
space.

On the roof the chimney has already been removed. in the Attic the
chimney curves down splits into two sections like in the shape of a
gothic arch, this then goes down through the house.

Would party-wall permission be needed? How about if I'm a quiet
worker...no-one need know! I'm very certain next door does not share
this chimney, because their stairs would be along this wall just as
the stairs in this house are also along the other wall - with no
fireplaces.

Is it simply a question of starting at the top in the attic, and
removing it brick by brick? Then clean & point what is inside the
chimney, then render and patch up the ceilings.

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I just realised, the ridge board would probably cause problems,
probably when they removed the chimney stack they added a piece of
ridge board which is currently sitting atop the chimney bricks, so
removing them would probably be a bad idea without first making sure
the ridge board is properly supported.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"freepo" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just realised, the ridge board would probably cause problems,
probably when they removed the chimney stack they added a piece of
ridge board which is currently sitting atop the chimney bricks, so
removing them would probably be a bad idea without first making sure
the ridge board is properly supported.

But in reality how much space would you really gain after an expensive and
labourous job?

2ft x 5ft or 6ft

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 7, 12:26 am, "George" wrote:
"freepo" wrote in message

ups.com...

I just realised, the ridge board would probably cause problems,
probably when they removed the chimney stack they added a piece of
ridge board which is currently sitting atop the chimney bricks, so
removing them would probably be a bad idea without first making sure
the ridge board is properly supported.

But in reality how much space would you really gain after an expensive and
labourous job?

2ft x 5ft or 6ft

1ft x 6 - 9ft in 4 rooms (including current alcoves which are not used
in the bedrooms i.e. wasted space) Not that expensive to do and would
be well worth it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
freepo writes
Would party-wall permission be needed? How about if I'm a quiet
worker...no-one need know! I'm very certain next door does not share
this chimney, because their stairs would be along this wall just as
the stairs in this house are also along the other wall - with no
fireplaces.

If on a party wall, yes it would. You might be a quite worker, but you
don't know what is on the other side of the wall that might rely on the
chimney breast for support, if that all goes out of balance, then things
might get rather noisy and very messy in a very short space of time.

It would also be a good idea to talk to the local building control
officer, they may or may not need to be involved depending on just what
needs to be done.

Since you appear to be posting via google groups (if you can, get
yourself a decent news reader and feed instead), have a rummage around
in the archive for this group, this subject comes up on a regular basis.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"