Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Broadband Routers, slowdowns and crashes.

The house here is cavity wall insulated and is very warm in summer,
currently mostly about 27C inside (unheated) on a day like today when
it is 21C outside. This is as cool as we can get it by minimising the
use of heat producing appliances.

We have always experienced lots of slowdowns / crashes ostensibly down
to the router. Poor ventilation and consequent overheating seems to be
a general problem,(current router is a Belkin "G" MIMO that has
pathetic tiny little ventilation slots so cooks itself).

I've tried about 8 routers from the 7 quid variety upwards but from
the point of view of this problem there has been little to choose
between them.

In an attempt to improve this we have had a combined ADSL faceplate
/filter fitted and the router lead replaced by a single short length
(50cms, no joints). Speed is now very good but there has been no
improvement in overheating/slowing down/crashing situation.

The Broadband provider is Talktalk which may / may not be the best,
but restarting the router has always been a fix and when the router
crashes the LAN side goes down as well, so kinda hard to blame this on
Talktalk.

Anybody any ideas ?

I see Billion seems to be current "flavour of the month" manufacturer
of routers in here but seems to be quite expensive. Is it essential to
get the dearest one, or would one of the cheaper models be fast enough
& OK in general for internet at ADSL speeds?

TNX

Derek G.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband

Derek G. wrote:
[...]

Dont get the billion unless you love its features and need them

If other routers are having issues, its not likely anther one will help.

More likely that talk talk are a bunch of Cnuts and you are getting a
crap service, or there is a line issue.

Ive x-posted to uk.telecom.broadnaband..for better service!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 4, 12:30*am, Derek G. wrote:
[...]

if all your routers are overheating, the simplest answer is drill or
cut holes in them, or simply run them with case cover off.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher
escribió:

More likely that talk talk are a bunch of Cnuts and you are getting a
crap service, or there is a line issue.

Please explain how a line issue would affect the switch ports on his
router.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Derek G. wrote:
[...]

I've just walked over to my router, which was provided by Sky - and it's
barely warm to the touch. It's sat on my TV shelving above my home cinema
system, skybox, and xbox. You would think that it would get hot in that
position - but I've never had such problems.

My previous router was a Linksys Wag 160nv - and it was rubbish. It would
constantly drop the wireless connection with my laptop - and the only way to
get it back was to either reboot the laptop - or reboot the router. I spent
many hours trying to get the damn thing to work properly - but it never did.
Visiting Linksys forums I found that this router was notorious for this
problem.
I could also never get my mobile phone to connect with the Linksys.

I've never had the slightest problem with the Sky router - it just works.

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Derek G. wrote:
[...]

Hmmmnnnn... Seems unusual the heat would cause this problem. I would think
it'd have to get very hot! Can you get hold of the tech data for the unit
and see what the recc operating temps are?

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , The Natural Philosopher
escribió:

More likely that talk talk are a bunch of Cnuts and you are getting a
crap service, or there is a line issue.

Please explain how a line issue would affect the switch ports on his
router.

Please explain where in his post he mentioned that this was the problem
Or why he thought a new faceplate would fix an ethernet port, or why he
bothered to mention his ISP if it was an internal network issue.

Viz

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 04/09/2011 12:30 AM, Derek G. wrote:

We have always experienced lots of slowdowns / crashes ostensibly down
to the router. Poor ventilation and consequent overheating seems to be
a general problem,(current router is a Belkin "G" MIMO that has
pathetic tiny little ventilation slots so cooks itself).

Some routers do seem to overheat if used in a horizontal position - have
you tried using it vertically to see if it runs cooler?

Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2011 13:03, Lee wrote:
On 04/09/2011 12:30 AM, Derek G. wrote:

We have always experienced lots of slowdowns / crashes ostensibly down
to the router. Poor ventilation and consequent overheating seems to be
a general problem,(current router is a Belkin "G" MIMO that has
pathetic tiny little ventilation slots so cooks itself).

Some routers do seem to overheat if used in a horizontal position - have
you tried using it vertically to see if it runs cooler?

Lee

I run my 3Com with the lid off