Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Broadband Routers, slowdowns and crashes.

Derek G. wrote:
The house here is cavity wall insulated and is very warm in summer,
currently mostly about 27C inside (unheated) on a day like today when
it is 21C outside. This is as cool as we can get it by minimising the
use of heat producing appliances.

We have always experienced lots of slowdowns / crashes ostensibly down
to the router. Poor ventilation and consequent overheating seems to be
a general problem,(current router is a Belkin "G" MIMO that has
pathetic tiny little ventilation slots so cooks itself).

I've tried about 8 routers from the 7 quid variety upwards but from
the point of view of this problem there has been little to choose
between them.

In an attempt to improve this we have had a combined ADSL faceplate
/filter fitted and the router lead replaced by a single short length
(50cms, no joints). Speed is now very good but there has been no
improvement in overheating/slowing down/crashing situation.

The Broadband provider is Talktalk which may / may not be the best,
but restarting the router has always been a fix and when the router
crashes the LAN side goes down as well, so kinda hard to blame this on
Talktalk.

Anybody any ideas ?

I see Billion seems to be current "flavour of the month" manufacturer
of routers in here but seems to be quite expensive. Is it essential to
get the dearest one, or would one of the cheaper models be fast enough
& OK in general for internet at ADSL speeds?

TNX

Derek G.

Dont get the billion unless you love its features and need them

If other routers are having issues, its not likely anther one will help.

More likely that talk talk are a bunch of Cnuts and you are getting a
crap service, or there is a line issue.

Ive x-posted to uk.telecom.broadnaband..for better service!