James

Default "Part P in force by 2004"

Does this apply to other insurance? Is car insurance invalid because of a
safety critical fault?

I would suggest that in many cases careful and thoughtful amateur work will
be to a higher standard than that provided by some rushed professionals.
Hence there is less chance of loss of life. This is more important than
insurance considerations.

James

"PoP" wrote in message
On 11 Nov 2003 09:29:09 GMT, wrote:

That takes you back to the same question, how do you tell whether a
certain bit (or any bit) of wiring was done before or after the
certificate was issued?

I don't think it would be wise to underestimate the ability of
forensic science to determine whether something was tampered with. If
life was lost due to a fire then an inquiry would take place, and
neighbours (etc) are all too willing to make themselves noteworthy to
the police about fingering possible culprits.

YMMV, but my attitude is that I wouldn't take chances on this sort of
thing.

PoP

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Adrian M.

wrote in message
... but I still can't see how anyone will ever be able to tell whether
a particular bit of wiring has a certificate or not. These
certificates (as I understand it) won't be detailed enough to tell
exactly which bits of wiring they refer to.

--
Chris Green )

I noticed that some of the twin and earth I have been using has the year
stamped on the insulation every meter or so with raised numbering, ie.it's
part of the insulation not printed in ink.I don't know what the purpose of
this is but it will certainly make it difficult to claim that the wiring was
installed before the year stamped on the cable.

I don't recall where I bought the reel, either Wickes or TLC. Maybe this
will be a requirement for all cable manufacturers?

Adrian.

Martin Angove

In message ,
"Adrian M." wrote:

wrote in message
... but I still can't see how anyone will ever be able to tell whether
a particular bit of wiring has a certificate or not. These
certificates (as I understand it) won't be detailed enough to tell
exactly which bits of wiring they refer to.

--
Chris Green )

I noticed that some of the twin and earth I have been using has the year
stamped on the insulation every meter or so with raised numbering, ie.it's
part of the insulation not printed in ink.I don't know what the purpose of
this is but it will certainly make it difficult to claim that the wiring was
installed before the year stamped on the cable.

I don't recall where I bought the reel, either Wickes or TLC. Maybe this
will be a requirement for all cable manufacturers?

Same here with Pirelli cable bought from Screwfix - though oddly only on
the 1mmsq. The 2.5 doesn't seem to have a year, though it does have
other information. Nothing at all on the 10mm, and I don't have the 6mm
to hand to check :-)

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk/
Owain

"Adrian M." wrote
| I noticed that some of the twin and earth I have been using has
| the year stamped on the insulation every meter or so with raised
| numbering, ie.it's part of the insulation not printed in ink.I
| don't know what the purpose of this is but it will certainly make
| it difficult to claim that the wiring was installed before the
| year stamped on the cable.
| I don't recall where I bought the reel, either Wickes or TLC.
| Maybe this will be a requirement for all cable manufacturers?

I don't want to panic anyone, but the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister is
wanting to bring this scheme in for APPLIANCES. So you will need a NICEIC
electrician to plug in your table lamps. Or perhaps Sarah Wooller of the In
House Policy Consultancy is lacking some understanding in the subject. (My
emphasis below)

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou.../page/odpm_bre
g_023646-01.hcsp#P42_1057

or

www.odpm.gov.uk Building Regulations Competent persons
self-certification schemes under the Building Regulations Existing
competent person schemes

Conclusion and Main Recommendations ...
It is likely to be worth extending the self-certification schemes to a
limited number of areas of the Building Regulations. ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES
is likely to be a good candidate as are other areas where work is common,
internal to the house, often undertaken as discrete projects, and where
companies have an incentive for joining the scheme.

Owain

PoP

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:39:27 -0000, "James"
wrote:

I would suggest that in many cases careful and thoughtful amateur work will
be to a higher standard than that provided by some rushed professionals.
Hence there is less chance of loss of life. This is more important than
insurance considerations.

I don't doubt for a minute that many amateur installations will be as
good as a professional job. However even though a professional might
rush a job his experience of doing many similar jobs is likely to
compensate, and invariably his job, rushed or otherwise, will pass
muster.

The thing is that if a jury had to reach a conclusion then the amateur
would be laying everything on the line. His home, other possessions,
everything. That's because he's taken on a job which conceivably he
should not have done because he doesn't have the background and
training.

PoP