Christian McArdle

Default Part L low energy fittings

Part L insists you install a certain proportion of low energy fittings.
These are specifically designed to look as ugly as possible, not be
compatible with standard lamp shades and require expensive, hideous,
difficult to obtain tubes. Rather than install these, has anyone considered
using some sort of current limiting devices that would enable a maximum of,
say, 25W (after initial 3 minute warm up) to be used with a standard bayonet
fitting, so that you can use nice looking, cheap, easy to obtain low energy
light bulbs?

Christian.

Christian McArdle wrote:
Part L insists you install a certain proportion of low energy fittings.
These are specifically designed to look as ugly as possible, not be
compatible with standard lamp shades and require expensive, hideous,
difficult to obtain tubes. Rather than install these, has anyone considered
using some sort of current limiting devices that would enable a maximum of,
say, 25W (after initial 3 minute warm up) to be used with a standard bayonet
fitting, so that you can use nice looking, cheap, easy to obtain low energy
light bulbs?

I had a word with my local buildings inspector about this when wiring
an extension. Bascially, between the lines, he was saying forget it
as he knew as well as you and I that there aren't any suitable fitting
available yet.

For a full house set up it's possible because you can use flourescent
lighting in the kitchen and quite civilised looking low energy
fittings in the bathroom and thus fulfil the proportion of low energy
fittings required.

--
Chris Green )
Mike Harrison

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:42:06 +0100, "Christian McArdle" wrote:

Part L insists you install a certain proportion of low energy fittings.
These are specifically designed to look as ugly as possible, not be
compatible with standard lamp shades and require expensive, hideous,
difficult to obtain tubes. Rather than install these, has anyone considered
using some sort of current limiting devices that would enable a maximum of,
say, 25W (after initial 3 minute warm up) to be used with a standard bayonet
fitting, so that you can use nice looking, cheap, easy to obtain low energy
light bulbs?

Christian.

...or to get the required proportion, install a load of LE fititngs in the loft and never use
them....
Andy Hall

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:32:59 +0100, Mike Harrison
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:42:06 +0100, "Christian McArdle" wrote:

Part L insists you install a certain proportion of low energy fittings.
These are specifically designed to look as ugly as possible, not be
compatible with standard lamp shades and require expensive, hideous,
difficult to obtain tubes. Rather than install these, has anyone considered
using some sort of current limiting devices that would enable a maximum of,
say, 25W (after initial 3 minute warm up) to be used with a standard bayonet
fitting, so that you can use nice looking, cheap, easy to obtain low energy
light bulbs?

Christian.

..or to get the required proportion, install a load of LE fititngs in the loft and never use
them....

Now that's creative - I like it.....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
BigWallop

wrote:

[...]

I only use them in the cupboards and table lamps. Is this the required
amount ? Out of nine light fittings and six table lamps, I wonder if it is
enough to stop this global warming. :-))

Christian McArdle

I only use them in the cupboards and table lamps. Is this the required
amount ? Out of nine light fittings and six table lamps, I wonder if it is
enough to stop this global warming. :-))

I use low energy lights absolutely everywhere. I do not possess a filament
lightbulb, except in the car. I object to being told that my nice pretty low
energy lightbulbs (which look like standard lightbulbs) have to be thrown
out to be replaced by something shaped like a 1960's housing estate gone
wrong, complete with urine stained aerial walkways.

Christian.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:23:31 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

I only use them in the cupboards and table lamps. Is this the required
amount ? Out of nine light fittings and six table lamps, I wonder if it is
enough to stop this global warming. :-))

Only within 100 miles and two weeks of Kyoto........

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
ARWadsworth

wrote:

..or to get the required proportion, install a load of LE fititngs in the

loft and never use
them....

Now that's creative - I like it.....

So do I, but lofts are excluded from the room that must have a low energy
light fitting. I have three Volex low energy pendants (PL? I cannot
remember) and they have been used in several new builds and come with me as
soon as the NHBC inspector has made his visit and the new owners want to
install their own lights.

--
Adam