Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best way to kill a chicken?

A dog has got into next doors garden and attacked the chickens.

I might have to finish off a few of the injured one in an hour or so.

What's the best way, wring the neck or use a spade? Other ideas welcome.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

A dog has got into next doors garden and attacked the chickens.

I might have to finish off a few of the injured one in an hour or so.

What's the best way, wring the neck or use a spade? Other ideas welcome.

If you are squeamish, an old sock over the head, then bash it with a
lump hammer. Instant, but messy in the sock, so dont take it off.

If not squeamish, yank their necks, though if done too hard it can pull
the heads off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
A dog has got into next doors garden and attacked the chickens.

I might have to finish off a few of the injured one in an hour or so.

What's the best way, wring the neck or use a spade? Other ideas welcome.

Angle grinder?

I remember seeing it done at a small holding a cousin owned. They used a
stick of some sort with one end wedged under something like a pivot - neck
between stick and a stone and stood on the other end of the stick. I was
young enough not to be worried. ;-)

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 27, 1:15*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

What's the best way, wring the neck or use a spade? Other ideas welcome.

Wring the neck (if you're not squeamish about doing it).

First find the neck. A chicken's brain goes further down than you
might expect fromt he shape of the head. If you cut too high, you chop
the brain in half, leaving behind a hindbrain that's enough to run
around for a bit. If it's an American chicken, it might even live for
a couple of years in this "nearly headless" state.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Aug 27, 1:15 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
A dog has got into next doors garden and attacked the chickens.
I might have to finish off a few of the injured one in an hour or so.
What's the best way, wring the neck or use a spade? Other ideas
welcome.

stun them first with a portable appliance tester?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/chicken

:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 07:00:29 -0700 (PDT), Owain
wrote:

On Aug 27, 1:15*pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
A dog has got into next doors garden and attacked the chickens.
I might have to finish off a few of the injured one in an hour or so.
What's the best way, wring the neck or use a spade? Other ideas welcome.

stun them first with a portable appliance tester?

But what do you do if they are Battery chickens?

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2011 13:15, ARWadsworth wrote:
A dog has got into next doors garden and attacked the chickens.

I might have to finish off a few of the injured one in an hour or so.

What's the best way, wring the neck or use a spade? Other ideas welcome.

Never tried, but have been told; that if you put a broom handle over the
neck and stand on the ends, then pull on the body, its an easier way to
wring the neck on tough old birds!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Aug 27, 1:15 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

What's the best way, wring the neck or use a spade? Other ideas
welcome.

Wring the neck (if you're not squeamish about doing it).

First find the neck. A chicken's brain goes further down than you
might expect fromt he shape of the head. If you cut too high, you chop
the brain in half, leaving behind a hindbrain that's enough to run
around for a bit. If it's an American chicken, it might even live for
a couple of years in this "nearly headless" state.

I am not sqeemish, I just wanted to make sure that I did not make a mess of
it.

I'll video it if I do have to kill one.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What's the best way, wring the neck or use a spade? Other ideas welcome.

First find the neck.

hint, it's at the opposite end the **** comes out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2011 13:15, ARWadsworth wrote:
A dog has got into next doors garden and attacked the chickens.

I might have to finish off a few of the injured one in an hour or so.

What's the best way, wring the neck or use a spade? Other ideas welcome.

Hold the chicken's legs in your left hand, and let it hang so that its
in front of your legs with its back slightly uppermost. Spread the
index and middle fingers of your right hand, and slip your hand over its
head. Grasp its head with your remaining fingers, then bend your wrist
as far as possible, so the back of your hand is parallel with the
chicken's neck. Gently take up tension, then give the neck a firm tug.
It's most important that the bird's head is bent right back, or you'll
have to pull much harder, and probably pull its head off. As you tug
the neck, you'll feel it stretch a couple of inches - this is when it
breaks.

Let go with your right hand, and let its wings flap. If you've done it
right, the head jerks around limply. After a minute or so, the
twitching stops. If you want an unbruised chicken for the table, drop
it head first into an inverted traffic cone as soon as it's neck has
gone - this stops its wings flapping and bruising itself.

Broom sticks are OK for turkeys, but it's difficult to judge how hard to
pull.

--
Kevin Poole

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 07:16:18 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley wrote:

On Aug 27, 1:15*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

What's the best way, wring the neck or use a spade? Other ideas welcome.

Wring the neck (if you're not squeamish about doing it).

First find the neck. A chicken's brain goes further down than you
might expect fromt he shape of the head. If you cut too high, you chop
the brain in half, leaving behind a hindbrain that's enough to run
around for a bit. If it's an American chicken, it might even live for
a couple of years in this "nearly headless" state.

2x4 years judging by recent history.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 15:34:52 +0100, Gazz wrote:

What's the best way, wring the neck or use a spade? Other ideas welcome.

First find the neck.

hint, it's at the opposite end the **** comes out.

This does _not_ apply to politicians.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote:

I am not sqeemish, I just wanted to make sure that I did not make a mess of
it.

I'll video it if I do have to kill one.

Have you done it yet?
What's been done with the dog?
Where are your neighbours?
....awaiting an update

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dean Heighington wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

I am not sqeemish, I just wanted to make sure that I did not make a
mess of it.

I'll video it if I do have to kill one.

Have you done it yet?
What's been done with the dog?
Where are your neighbours?
...awaiting an update

Another chicken has died without my help.

The others seem to be in shock. We are going to give them the night before
we kill any.

The dog is fine.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

A dog has got into next doors garden and attacked the chickens.

I might have to finish off a few of the injured one in an hour or so.

What's the best way, wring the neck or use a spade? Other ideas welcome.

If you are squeamish, an old sock over the head, then bash it with a
lump hammer. Instant, but messy in the sock, so dont take it off.

If not squeamish, yank their necks, though if done too hard it can pull
the heads off.

and they still carry on flapping...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-08-27 15:21:49 +0100, John Rumm said:

On 27/08/2011 13:15, ARWadsworth wrote:
A dog has got into next doors garden and attacked the chickens.

I might have to finish off a few of the injured one in an hour or so.

What's the best way, wring the neck or use a spade? Other ideas welcome.

Never tried, but have been told; that if you put a broom handle over
the neck and stand on the ends, then pull on the body, its an easier
way to wring the neck on tough old birds!

I've seen that method recommended for killing geese. Not sure what the
goose is doing while you put a broom handle over its neck, stand on the
ends and then grab the legs ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
A dog has got into next doors garden and attacked the chickens.

I might have to finish off a few of the injured one in an hour or so.

What's the best way, wring the neck or use a spade? Other ideas welcome.

--
Adam

Pull the neck is normal way.

If you don't like that idea .. put broom handle across back of neck, stand
on broom, and lift chicken up and back over broom ... 'stretch n' snap at
same time
, often used on rabbits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not sure what the goose is doing while you put a broom handle over its
neck, stand on the ends and then grab the legs ...

i'd imagine it's ****ting it's self, and wishing it was born a cute fluffy
hamster or something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 27/08/2011 13:15, ARWadsworth wrote:
A dog has got into next doors garden and attacked the chickens.

I might have to finish off a few of the injured one in an hour or so.

What's the best way, wring the neck or use a spade? Other ideas welcome.

Never tried, but have been told; that if you put a broom handle over the
neck and stand on the ends, then pull on the body, its an easier way to
wring the neck on tough old birds!

Does it work for wives?