Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DG update - ordered

On Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:15:56 AM UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
We requested quotes from three DG companies. The first a small local
installer, which turned out to be the cheapest/ best spec..

Followed by two quotes from a couple of the larger installers. Both of
these initially put in much higher quotes then found strange reasons to
reduce their quotes as time passed. Both of these seemed to be just
salesmen on commission, neither very knowledgeable and both extremely
pushy. One even asked if we could afford their quality of DG - WHAT? He
had to be invited to leave, it seemed he was going to sit there until
he got an order.

So back to the first one who had obviously installed DG himself, never
made a nuisance of himself, never pestered, came recommended and just
offered one quoted price. He had also quoted for better than the basic
spec. unasked and took the trouble to explain his reasoning for the
quoted opening styles for the 13 various windows.

So if you might be considering new DG, my advice would be forget the
national companies advertising on TV - just find a small local company
with a good reputation, they don't need to advertise.

Definitely, I use a local manufacturer / supplier that makes the frames and the glass. Very good prices quoted, about 30% of the big nationals (without fitting of course).
Simon.

DG update - ordered Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 39 July 28th 11 10:02 PM
I ordered mine! Leon[_6_] Woodworking 53 November 10th 09 09:35 PM
Ordered first dovetail jig mark Woodworking 3 February 4th 08 07:52 PM
Ordered to remove a huge oak Kalvin Gore Woodworking 13 February 11th 07 05:32 PM