Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DG update - ordered

We requested quotes from three DG companies. The first a small local
installer, which turned out to be the cheapest/ best spec..

Followed by two quotes from a couple of the larger installers. Both of
these initially put in much higher quotes then found strange reasons to
reduce their quotes as time passed. Both of these seemed to be just
salesmen on commission, neither very knowledgeable and both extremely
pushy. One even asked if we could afford their quality of DG - WHAT? He
had to be invited to leave, it seemed he was going to sit there until
he got an order.

So back to the first one who had obviously installed DG himself, never
made a nuisance of himself, never pestered, came recommended and just
offered one quoted price. He had also quoted for better than the basic
spec. unasked and took the trouble to explain his reasoning for the
quoted opening styles for the 13 various windows.

So if you might be considering new DG, my advice would be forget the
national companies advertising on TV - just find a small local company
with a good reputation, they don't need to advertise.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Ours was done by a small local company. Exactly the design of window we
wanted, to look very like the original wood frames that were coming out.
Good price. Didn't take long to be ready, and was installed in two days by
two very personable lads who just got on with the job without any fuss.
Clean tidy workers. Took all the old windows away, and all their own
rubbish. Did a lovely job of making good and sealing both inside and out.
Based on my experience, I would recommend a small local outfit over the big
boys, every time.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

Ditto for Phoenix windows in Norfolk that did ours, and they didn't ask for
a penny before the job was finished to our satisfaction.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

Based on my experience, I would recommend a small local outfit over the
big boys, every time.

Absolutely. And if anyone else is in my neck of the woods, Robert
Winstanley Windows has my recommendation, with New Romney Glass a close
second.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 26, 12:15*am, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
[...]

You often find most of these windows come frome the same workshop. ie
many local installers buy the windows from the local place. They can't
afford all the machinery neccessary to make windows.
The National ones usually have ther own works.

Unfortunately the difference between good windows and bad is hidden.
Depends on the amount and quality of the reinforcing inside the frames
and whether the hinge/catch screws pick up onto it properly.
You only find out ten years later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:

Based on my experience, I would recommend a small local outfit over
the big boys, every time.

Absolutely. And if anyone else is in my neck of the woods, Robert
Winstanley Windows has my recommendation, with New Romney Glass a
close second.

I think we are all in agreement then! I also have found that the small local
installers give a better quote straight off, don't hassle you, and do a good
job. Most of the big companies are just rip-off merchants and I'm amazed
that anyone would give business to 'Safestyle UK' with that long haired
idiot on the TV ad screaming: "I say you buy one you get one free, you buy
one you get one free..."

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 09:14:32 +0100, Ret. wrote:

Bert Coules wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:

Based on my experience, I would recommend a small local outfit over
the big boys, every time.

Absolutely. And if anyone else is in my neck of the woods, Robert
Winstanley Windows has my recommendation, with New Romney Glass a close
second.

I think we are all in agreement then! I also have found that the small
local installers give a better quote straight off, don't hassle you, and
do a good job. Most of the big companies are just rip-off merchants and
I'm amazed that anyone would give business to 'Safestyle UK' with that
long haired idiot on the TV ad screaming: "I say you buy one you get one
free, you buy one you get one free..."

Many years ago, we got DG for a previous house, and had exactly the same
experience.

The worst one at the time was Anglian Windows. We had a look in their
showroom - and the quality there was dreadful! Badly fitted, etc. If they
couldn't get that right...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 26, 9:14 am, "Ret." wrote:
Bert Coules wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:

Based on my experience, I would recommend a small local outfit over
the big boys, every time.

Absolutely. And if anyone else is in my neck of the woods, Robert
Winstanley Windows has my recommendation, with New Romney Glass a
close second.

I think we are all in agreement then! I also have found that the small local
installers give a better quote straight off, don't hassle you, and do a good
job. Most of the big companies are just rip-off merchants and I'm amazed
that anyone would give business to 'Safestyle UK' with that long haired
idiot on the TV ad screaming: "I say you buy one you get one free, you buy
one you get one free..."

tho as you (and countless other less intelligent numptys) remember the
ads and the company name the marketing gurus would claim it a
"success"...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 01:47:25 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

So if you might be considering new DG, my advice would be forget

the
national companies advertising on TV - just find a small local

company
with a good reputation, they don't need to advertise.

+1

Based on my experience, I would recommend a small local outfit over the
big boys, every time.

+1

Avoid Anglian at all costs. All the high pressure selling techniques
in the book then some. Abismal installation, mess everywhere.
Complaining gets you no where, they appear to operate on an area
franchise basis. Head office don't want to know and bounce you back
to the local office who don't care. It's telling that the one
covering St Albans employed at least one full time "trouble shooting"
team, the installers themselves are not employees of Anglian (head
office or local branch) but contractors/freelancers.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message

You often find most of these windows come frome the same workshop. ie
many local installers buy the windows from the local place. They can't
afford all the machinery neccessary to make windows.
The National ones usually have ther own works.

The machines aren't that expensive, they are similar to wood working
machines in price.
There aren't many either, a chop saw, a router and a welding jig is about
all you need.
I know of no windows companies around here that don't make their own frames.

The double glazing units may well be a different matter.

What you can say is that there are only a few standard extrusions in use so
a lot of the windows will look the same even when made in different
workshops.

My windows use the same sections as safestyle now use, but were made and
fitted by a small local company.
The metal reinforcing was an option BTW you don't have to have it unless its
a very large window.
It added about £50 per window

Unfortunately the difference between good windows and bad is hidden.
Depends on the amount and quality of the reinforcing inside the frames
and whether the hinge/catch screws pick up onto it properly.
You only find out ten years later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On Jul 26, 9:14 am, "Ret." wrote:
Bert Coules wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:

Based on my experience, I would recommend a small local outfit over
the big boys, every time.

Absolutely. And if anyone else is in my neck of the woods, Robert
Winstanley Windows has my recommendation, with New Romney Glass a
close second.

I think we are all in agreement then! I also have found that the small local
installers give a better quote straight off, don't hassle you, and do a good
job. Most of the big companies are just rip-off merchants and I'm amazed
that anyone would give business to 'Safestyle UK' with that long haired
idiot on the TV ad screaming: "I say you buy one you get one free, you buy
one you get one free..."

tho as you (and countless other less intelligent numptys) remember the
ads and the company name the marketing gurus would claim it a
"success"...

No one in the UK is less intelligent than Kevin "Deskjob" Loon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On Jul 26, 9:14 am, "Ret." wrote:
Bert Coules wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

The idiot that you replied to. He's an Internet stalker, liar, libeller and
general ****nugget. His only reason for being in uk.d-i-y is as part of his
long running stalking of me. Mind you, give him a chance and he'll start to
trot out his racist and homophobic dogma.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
on Tue, 26 Jul 2011 00:47:15 -0700 (PDT)
harry wrote:

You often find most of these windows come frome the same workshop. ie
many local installers buy the windows from the local place. They can't
afford all the machinery neccessary to make windows.

I've noticed a few places round here that have large wheeled cages outside,
containing PVCu offcuts which, to me, suggests that the windows are being made
on site.

Unfortunately the difference between good windows and bad is hidden.
Depends on the amount and quality of the reinforcing inside the frames
and whether the hinge/catch screws pick up onto it properly.
You only find out ten years later.

If you can find a local manufacturer, ask to see windows being made and inspect
the reinforcing for yourself ...

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 10:20:15 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

Bert Coules wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

+1 on that all right.

If you're anywhere near Whitstable we can recommend Mark Russell
Glazing.

Yes, I've heard good things about them. And we're 5 miles from
Whistable...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I have a mate (a Meldrew clone) who must be a nightmare to DG companies etc.
He inspects every sq cm and calls them back for the slightest fault, before
paying. Same with carpets, furniture, garden fences etc. I think he had 3
new leather suites before he was happy. Tiny watermark on the ceiling from a
leak and he had the whole lot reskimmed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

On Jul 26, 10:23 am, Steve Firth wrote:

No one in the UK is less intelligent than Kevin "Deskjob" Loon.

que?

Don't worry, Filth is just dragging a dispute with someone else from
another group here...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Handy Bums wrote:
Jim K wrote:

On Jul 26, 10:23 am, Steve Firth wrote:

No one in the UK is less intelligent than Kevin "Deskjob" Loon.

que?

Don't worry, Filth is just dragging a dispute with someone else from
another group here...

To the contrary the foetid lump of crap appears to be stuck to my shoe. You
must let me know how you'd feel about someone who used his police influence
to have your background investigated, who tried to find out about your
finances and who then sent you a blackmail letter. And all because the
****wit didn't like the word ****wit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MuddyMike used his keyboard to write :
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

the local one we have engaged said they don't want anything up front,
just pay when the job is done to our entire satisfaction. I was fully
expecting them to ask for a 50% deposit (perfectly reasonable) to show
good faith to cover the cost of making the windows up.

The bit which concerned me most when considering DIY, was the bay as
its all wood framed. They say they remove all of the wood, support it
on temporarily on Acros and their windows are specially reinforced to
support the weight.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/11 01:47, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...

[snip]
So if you might be considering new DG, my advice would be forget the
national companies advertising on TV - just find a small local company with
a good reputation, they don't need to advertise.

--

Ours was done by a small local company. Exactly the design of window we
wanted, to look very like the original wood frames that were coming out. Good
price. Didn't take long to be ready, and was installed in two days by two
very personable lads who just got on with the job without any fuss. Clean
tidy workers. Took all the old windows away, and all their own rubbish. Did a
lovely job of making good and sealing both inside and out. Based on my
experience, I would recommend a small local outfit over the big boys, every
time.

Maybe you would both like to name the companies and their location so others
may benefit from their good service...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote:
[...]

I'm in my early thirties and have gone the same way. I also do mystery
shopping, and god help anyone giving bad service then. However, good
service gets a glowing report, either way you get a warm glow knowing that
the person serving you will get what they deserve :-). But I've got fed up
of paying for bad service, and now refuse to put up with it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Finnigan" wrote in message
"brass monkey" wrote:
[...]

Yep, the little guy gets crapped upon. I had a Visionics video streamer,
after 7 weeks it died. 4 weeks after that they were still 'waiting for a
part'. I sent an email tickler and got, 'when the part comes it'll be
repaired and you'll get it back'. A week later I asked for 'the address of
someone in charge so I could send a stinking letter'. Received a brand new
one after a few days. Basically, nobody gives a ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"funkyoldcortina" wrote in message
[...]

Higham Windows, I think they were called. Rushden, Northants. They were
associates of a pair of regular customers of ours when we had the cafes.
They were general builders, and fixed it all up for us.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

eb.com...

"brass monkey" wrote:
[...]

That isn't strictly true. The repair option over the replacement one will
always be preferred by the supplier. Unfortunately, the spares situation
with many electronic equipment manufacturers, is now worse than useless. For
instance, I have been waiting on parts from Marshall for one of their
amplifiers, for nearly two months. And that is by no means uncommon. As the
guy at the sharp end, I do my level best to get those parts to keep my trade
customer happy, who is, in general, trying his best to keep his retail
customer happy. We both give a ****, and hate the situations that these
delays put us in with our customers, but sadly, it's the way of the world
now, and it seems that there is little that can be done about it. I rather
suspect that the world economic climate has led to manufacturers not
over-producing any more than they have to, which has led to a scaling back
of spare and warranty parts inventory.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Handy Bums wrote:
Jim K wrote:

On Jul 26, 10:23 am, Steve Firth wrote:

No one in the UK is less intelligent than Kevin "Deskjob" Loon.

que?

Don't worry, Filth is just dragging a dispute with someone else from
another group here...

To the contrary the foetid lump of crap appears to be stuck to my
shoe. You must let me know how you'd feel about someone who used his
police influence to have your background investigated, who tried to
find out about your finances and who then sent you a blackmail
letter. And all because the ****wit didn't like the word ****wit.

As usual a complete misrepresentation of my dispute with Mr Firth. Anyone
who may be tempted to believe the above may like to peruse some of the posts
that Mr Firth (or Filth as he is more commonly known) has made in recent
months. His frequent use of the word f**kwit is only the half of it...:

"Quite, but it galls me to see gutter yobs coming in here and using ****ing
disgraceful language.

The truth about your sad existence hurts, eh, Naked Gonad?

This only confuses the terminally ****witted like you. How does it feel to
be dumber than a rock, you ****tard?

And they are all knuckle dragging ****tards like you, eh?

Didn't you have some painful process of expiring your sad existence to be
getting on with?

Oh look pathetic, childish threats from a pathetic dickless wonder.

You really are pathetic. **** off, find a bridge and this time jump off it
rather than hide under it.

You stupid, lying sack of ****.

Perhaps you could just **** off from uk.transport? But if you could
arrange for someone to post details of when you die under the wheels of
a truck and where you are buried then I can arrange for the installation
of the urinals.

FFS, why don't you stupid knuckle draggers from URC(M) just **** off
back to the sanctified grove that you claim to love so much

Step under a bus and do the world a favour,

Or ask nursey to remind you when she repositions your headstick and
empties your drool bowl.

Do you have to prove over and over again that you're an empty headed sack of
****?

Spin on that, you brainless ****ing muppet.

Oh look, the deranged ****wit resorts to his usual tactic of spouting
******** when caught out.

You deserve abuse. You are pondscum.

you're a liar, a fantasy merchant and let's face it dumber than any animal
on the face of
the planet.

You're a lying sack of ****.

He's a brainless ****, a liar, and a coward unable to admit when he
****ed up.

Take a jump you knuckle dragging moron.

Or don't you comprehend that, you fetid ****stain?

I think you'll find that alt.smug.small.brained.*******s is over there

Because it's Duhng Bollen, and he's a worthless stupid ****. The day
that I hear that he has been kicked to the floor, doused in petrol and
that someone threw a match on the stinking ******* and put him out of
our misery is the day that I open a urinal and a dancing floor on his
grave.

---------

Sorry to pollute uk.diy with this disgusting outpouring - but as Firth has
just made a completely unprovoked attack on me (which he does very
regularly), I thought I would just demonstrate the type of person he is.

This list explains just why he is referred to as 'Filth'.

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2011 08:43, Ret. wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
Handy Bums wrote:
Jim K wrote:

[...]

If only his parents had smacked him when they had the chance of
correcting his behaviour. Sadly it is now too late.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
On 27/07/2011 08:43, Ret. wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
Handy Bums wrote:
Jim K wrote:

[...]

I understand that he has, within the past couple of weeks, had to change his
usenet provider after someone (not me), reported him to Individual.Net for
his continual harassment of MM on uk.legal. You will note that he is now
using eternal september. Despite this - he continues to harass MM in the
same manner.

A Google on 'Steve Firth usenet bully' brings up pages of stuff. He is a
truly unpleasant individual.

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2011 12:49, Ret. wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
On 27/07/2011 08:43, Ret. wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
Handy Bums wrote:
Jim K wrote:

[...]

On usenet I respect that other people may have different opinions and
views, and indeed I respect them.

There are many time I have disagreed with you and would go so far at
times to think you are blinkered and biased. It is your right to post
here and I would like to think that any respect is mutual, even when we
disagree.

What I do find difficult is the name calling and abuse from some who
have lost an argument. I have been guilty of asking S F if he was
smacked when he was a child a number of times, since it is a privilege
to ask and a right not to answer.

I also feel that once a poster resorts to abuse, he has effectively lost
any respect, and with it any argument.

I am also surprised that S F can run a consulting company, where a
prospective customer can google his name and see his rants. I am sure
his company would be far more successful and his life less stressful if
he took a more pragmatic approach to issues and refrained from name
calling and abuse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
On 27/07/2011 12:49, Ret. wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
On 27/07/2011 08:43, Ret. wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
Handy Bums wrote:
Jim K wrote:

[...]

According to Companies House, Firth Consulting has been dormant for eight
years...

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2011 13:08, Ret. wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
On 27/07/2011 12:49, Ret. wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
On 27/07/2011 08:43, Ret. wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
Handy Bums wrote:
Jim K wrote:

[...]

On his website http://www.firthconsultants.co.uk/ it says "Firth
Consultants was founded in October 2007".

Companies House has FIRTH CONSULTANTS LIMITED as current with a date of
incorporation of 2007. It the same registered address as his website
which also includes the same company registration number.

I don't see Firth Consulting Ltd as being dormant?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

According to Companies House, Firth Consulting has been dormant for
eight years...

On his website http://www.firthconsultants.co.uk/ it says "Firth
Consultants was founded in October 2007".

Companies House has FIRTH CONSULTANTS LIMITED as current with a date
of incorporation of 2007. It the same registered address as his
website which also includes the same company registration number.

I don't see Firth Consulting Ltd as being dormant?

That is Simon Firth's website and firm.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2011 13:55, ARWadsworth wrote:
wrote:

According to Companies House, Firth Consulting has been dormant for
eight years...

On his website http://www.firthconsultants.co.uk/ it says "Firth
Consultants was founded in October 2007".

Companies House has FIRTH CONSULTANTS LIMITED as current with a date
of incorporation of 2007. It the same registered address as his
website which also includes the same company registration number.

I don't see Firth Consulting Ltd as being dormant?

That is Simon Firth's website and firm.

Aahhh - too many Firths!! What about Firth Consulting Ltd?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote:
[...]

I once got a full refund for a show where they changed the seating giving
me a rubbish seat, as well as a pair of house seats for another show. I
give a company one chance to be sensible, then I go all out. So far not had
a bad result :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
On 27/07/2011 13:08, Ret. wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
On 27/07/2011 12:49, Ret. wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
On 27/07/2011 08:43, Ret. wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
Handy Bums wrote:
Jim K wrote:

[...]

You have to obtain a copy of his annual return to find that out! It also
shows that current assets of the firm are a nominal few pounds.

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:

Handy Bums wrote:

I've heard worse!

Filth is just dragging a dispute with someone else from another group here...

To the contrary the foetid lump of crap appears to be stuck to my shoe. You
must let me know how you'd feel about someone who used his police influence
to have your background investigated, who tried to find out about your
finances and who then sent you a blackmail letter.

I suppose I'd think about whether I had any realistic chance of proving
any of it, and then if so pursue him, if not ignore him, I wouldn't keep
bleating on about it all over usenet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:

Handy Bums wrote:

I've heard worse!

Filth is just dragging a dispute with someone else from another group here...

To the contrary the foetid lump of crap appears to be stuck to my shoe. You
must let me know how you'd feel about someone who used his police influence
to have your background investigated, who tried to find out about your
finances and who then sent you a blackmail letter.

I suppose I'd think about whether I had any realistic chance of proving
any of it, and then if so pursue him, if not ignore him, I wouldn't keep
bleating on about it all over usenet.

I don't "keep bleating on about it all over usenet" but thanks for proving
that you're a pillock it makes it easier to ignore the crap you type.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:

I don't "keep bleating on about it all over usenet"

Pffft ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Handy Bums wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:

I don't "keep bleating on about it all over usenet"

Pffft ...

I'm sorry to hear about your flatulence, but not surprised. Are you seeking
help for your oral-rectal inversion problem?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There is nothing difficult about making up DG frames, or indeed
glazing. It comes down to space pretty much and whether it is economic
to do so - because economy of scale plays a big part. Usually even
quite small outfits will make the frames, but outsource the glazing.
The equipment involved is very unremarkable.

I ordered mine! Leon[_6_] Woodworking 53 November 10th 09 09:35 PM
Ordered first dovetail jig mark Woodworking 3 February 4th 08 07:52 PM
Ordered to remove a huge oak Kalvin Gore Woodworking 13 February 11th 07 05:32 PM
I ordered the Rikon 18"er Leon Woodworking 18 November 22nd 05 03:11 AM