Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ordered to remove a huge oak

The city has ordered me to remove an Oak at the edge of my property
which the local utility claims is too close to their service lines. The
tree is old but healthy. I would guess that the trunk is about 16 feet
in circumference and the trunk is about 31 feet long from the base to
the split. I have heard claims of astronomical prices for quartersawn
oak, and wonder if I could recover the price of a portable sawmill if I
were buy one for this task. Can anyone comment on this?

I'm off to price a woodmizer...

--
Kalvin Gore

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don't buy one. Hire one.
Woodmizer will give you the names of their customers near you.
You will also have a hard time handling a log that big. You will need
a big Woodmizer. They charged me $.18/bd foot + mileage +
$25/dinged blade. It comes out to be very cheap and very nice
lumber. It may be a year or two before you can use it though.

Jim

"Kalvin Gore" wrote in message
The city has ordered me to remove an Oak at the edge of my property
which the local utility claims is too close to their service lines. The
tree is old but healthy. I would guess that the trunk is about 16 feet
in circumference and the trunk is about 31 feet long from the base to
the split. I have heard claims of astronomical prices for quartersawn
oak, and wonder if I could recover the price of a portable sawmill if I
were buy one for this task. Can anyone comment on this?

I'm off to price a woodmizer...

--
Kalvin Gore

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Kalvin Gore wrote:
The city has ordered me to remove an Oak at the edge of my property
which the local utility claims is too close to their service lines. The
tree is old but healthy. I would guess that the trunk is about 16 feet
in circumference and the trunk is about 31 feet long from the base to
the split. I have heard claims of astronomical prices for quartersawn
oak, and wonder if I could recover the price of a portable sawmill if I
were buy one for this task. Can anyone comment on this?

I'm off to price a woodmizer...

You will definitely NOT recover the cost of buying even a used one. However,
if you contact Wood-Mizer customer service (www.wood-mizer.com), they can put
you in touch with owners of their mills in your area, and you can hire
somebody to cut it into lumber for you -- and you definitely WILL recover that
cost, and then some.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd suggest getting the city/utility companies to help with the cost of
removal. If they are willing to donate some money it very well may make a
portable sawmill more affordable to you. And everyone will win in the end.
You wouldn't by chance be in Ohio would you? --dave
"Kalvin Gore" wrote in message
The city has ordered me to remove an Oak at the edge of my property
which the local utility claims is too close to their service lines. The
tree is old but healthy. I would guess that the trunk is about 16 feet
in circumference and the trunk is about 31 feet long from the base to
the split. I have heard claims of astronomical prices for quartersawn
oak, and wonder if I could recover the price of a portable sawmill if I
were buy one for this task. Can anyone comment on this?

I'm off to price a woodmizer...

--
Kalvin Gore

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kalvin Gore" wrote in message
The city has ordered me to remove an Oak at the edge of my property
which the local utility claims is too close to their service lines. The
tree is old but healthy.

What was there first, the tree or the utility lines? Maybe you can get the
utility to move their poles instead of taking down the tree. Is it on some
sort of easement?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9 Feb, 23:02, Kalvin Gore wrote:
I'm off to price a woodmizer...

If it has to go, then phone Woodmizer. They're very good at telling
you their local owners, many of whom will dispose of such a tree for
you (or at least the trunk). Although they're a great machine, you
don't ned to own your own.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You wouldn't by chance be in Ohio would you? --dave"Kalvin Gore" wrote in message

*The city has ordered me to remove an Oak at the edge of my property
which the local utility claims is too close to their service lines. The
tree is old but healthy. I would guess that the trunk is about 16 feet
in circumference and the trunk is about 31 feet long from the base to
the split. I have heard claims of astronomical prices for quartersawn
oak, and wonder if I could recover the price of a portable sawmill if I
were buy one for this task. Can anyone comment on this?

I'm off to price a woodmizer...

--
Kalvin Gore- Hide quoted text -

Around here, the utility company has been cutting down massive numbers
of trees for years: we were glad to see ours go, particularly since
they replaced the larger trees, 15 year old hybrid poplars, with
smaller shrubs my wife selected.

They are the ones who get primary benefit, with no having a dozen 30+
foot tall trees drop across power lines at a time when they can't keep
up anyway, usually during ice storms.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9 Feb, 23:02, Kalvin Gore wrote:
The city has ordered me to remove an Oak at the edge of my property
which the local utility claims is too close to their service lines. The
tree is old but healthy. I would guess that the trunk is about 16 feet
in circumference and the trunk is about 31 feet long from the base to
the split. I have heard claims of astronomical prices for quartersawn
oak, and wonder if I could recover the price of a portable sawmill if I
were buy one for this task. Can anyone comment on this?

I'm off to price a woodmizer...

--
Kalvin Gore

Anyone even thinking of felling an Oak tree of that size and age
should be pushed through a Woodmizer. Here in the UK the city could
have you imprisoned for felling a tree of that grandeur. Make the
*******s move their lines.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 Feb 2007 14:21:08 -0800, "Limey Lurker"
wrote:

Anyone even thinking of felling an Oak tree of that size and age
should be pushed through a Woodmizer. Here in the UK the city could
have you imprisoned for felling a tree of that grandeur. Make the
*******s move their lines.

Make them put their lines underground where they belong.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone even thinking of felling an Oak tree of that size and age
should be pushed through a Woodmizer. Here in the UK the city could
have you imprisoned for felling a tree of that grandeur. Make the
*******s move their lines.

Make them put their lines underground where they belong.

But they they'll have to saw through the roots to make the tunnel to
hold the lines.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Make them put their lines underground where they belong.

Underground lines work better in some locales than others.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

Since the city has ordered you to do this, doesn't
it become tax deductable? That should help with
the recovery.
Lou

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 9, 5:02 pm, Kalvin Gore wrote:
The city has ordered me to remove an Oak at the edge of my property
which the local utility claims is too close to their service lines. The
tree is old but healthy. I would guess that the trunk is about 16 feet
in circumference and the trunk is about 31 feet long from the base to
the split. I have heard claims of astronomical prices for quartersawn
oak, and wonder if I could recover the price of a portable sawmill if I
were buy one for this task. Can anyone comment on this?

I'm off to price a woodmizer...

The city order my mother to move her fence so that the street could be
widened. She told them to go to hell and have ignored them since. It
seems to have worked and she guesses they will not widen the road
because there will be too many angry property owners and lawsuits.
You could try ignoring them.