Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roof Tiles and Solar panels

The roofing is rather old and tired, might last a few years more but not
many. Would it be best to have the roof re-tiled before having solar
panels installed? I am hoping this does not morph into a solar panel
argument, but I would not bet on it! :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Moonraker
writes
The roofing is rather old and tired, might last a few years more but
not many.

"rather old and tired"

How can you expect anyone to give a sensible answer to such a subjective
question, especially when they haven't seen it

get a man in

Would it be best to have the roof re-tiled before having solar panels
installed? I am hoping this does not morph into a solar panel
argument, but I would not bet on it! :-)

geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 10:19:14 +0100, Moonraker wrote:

The roofing is rather old and tired, might last a few years more but not
many.

How long has it been up there and what is the covering?

Would it be best to have the roof re-tiled before having solar panels
installed?

Presumably you mean photovoltaic solar panels rather than thermal?

If you are think that the roof needs to be stripped and relaid look
at the PV tiles you can get rather than the retro fit PV panels that
fit over an existing roof surafce. You will probably have to find
seperate roofer and PV companies to do the work and mediate between
them on the spec/what/who/when needs to be done.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 24, 10:19*am, Moonraker wrote:
The roofing is rather old and tired, might last a few years more but not
many. Would it be best to have the roof re-tiled before having solar
panels installed? *I am hoping this does not morph into a solar panel
argument, but I would not bet on it! :-)

Are you wanting someone to say put an expensive new Solar installation
over a rotten and failing roof? That would be just stupid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
cynic wrote:

On Jul 24, 10:19*am, Moonraker wrote:
The roofing is rather old and tired, might last a few years more but not
many. Would it be best to have the roof re-tiled before having solar
panels installed? *I am hoping this does not morph into a solar panel
argument, but I would not bet on it! :-)

Are you wanting someone to say put an expensive new Solar installation
over a rotten and failing roof? That would be just stupid

He didn't say rotten and failing (=a life of 2 years or less), he said
old and tired (= a life of possibly 10-20 years, in my estimate).

Presumably the OP is asking
(1) will my roof timbers take the weight? And
(2) if we decide to get re-roofed, how will the roofers cope with an
installed array?

One useful answer in this thread would be to tell us how much a typical
solar PV array weighs. I am guessing not all that much (compared to
the 'thermal' [presumably = hot water] installation).

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 20:41:45 +0100, Another John
wrote:

In article
,
cynic wrote:

[...]

Schuco PS05 series panels weigh 18kg. The are about 1.5 square metres
in area so 12kg per sq.m. Fairly typical of PV panels.

Evacuated tube solar thermal are about 17kg per sq.m., so not much
more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2011 10:19, Moonraker wrote:

The roofing is rather old and tired, might last a few years more but not
many. Would it be best to have the roof re-tiled before having solar
panels installed?

Yes.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 24, 10:19*am, Moonraker wrote:
The roofing is rather old and tired, might last a few years more but not
many. Would it be best to have the roof re-tiled before having solar
panels installed? *I am hoping this does not morph into a solar panel
argument, but I would not bet on it! :-)

The ordinary solar panels you see are "retrofit ontoan existing roof.
But there are others.

Solar tiles are available that replace your existing tiles but they
are expensive and small surface area compared with retrofit panels (Ie
less power). Just look prettier.

There are also PV panels that are for new buildings and require no
tiles under them. So, they would strip off your tiles and just fit
these panel which give a weather proof roof on their own without
tiles.

The PV installtion job is split into two. Roofers (who fit the panels)
and electricians.

So the roofers can fix your tiles and install the panels, all one job
if that's what you want. Or just put on the "new building panels"