Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Permutit scale inhibitor cartridge

Just replaced a Permutit scale inhibitor cartridge, and after 24hrs
tapping the cartridge I can still hear the polyphosphate balls rattling
around, as though water hasn't got into the cartridge. I've replaced
them before but never checked to see how long they take to fill.

Anyone know how long's normal? I don't want to be running the boiler for
too long if it's defective.

On a second note I guess they work by the change in water pressure, as
taps turn on and off, slowly pumping the solution out, any one know if
this is so?

--

bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:09:25 +0100, bof wrote:

Just replaced a Permutit scale inhibitor cartridge, and after 24hrs
tapping the cartridge I can still hear the polyphosphate balls rattling
around, as though water hasn't got into the cartridge. I've replaced
them before but never checked to see how long they take to fill.

If it's the metal can type they're crap: the tiny waterways in the brass
connector block up with redeposited scale-inhibitor salt (almost as if
they'd scaled up!). You can clear them out with a 2.5mm drill bit (they
really get too hard to poke out) but they're likely to block up again in
a few months. I've stopped fitting them and now replace existing ones
with SFWH1s from Screwfix (code 20351 iirc).

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

I'm more non-competitive than you
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , YAPH
writes
On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:09:25 +0100, bof wrote:

Just replaced a Permutit scale inhibitor cartridge, and after 24hrs
tapping the cartridge I can still hear the polyphosphate balls rattling
around, as though water hasn't got into the cartridge. I've replaced
them before but never checked to see how long they take to fill.

If it's the metal can type they're crap: the tiny waterways in the brass
connector block up with redeposited scale-inhibitor salt (almost as if
they'd scaled up!). You can clear them out with a 2.5mm drill bit (they
really get too hard to poke out) but they're likely to block up again in
a few months. I've stopped fitting them and now replace existing ones
with SFWH1s from Screwfix (code 20351 iirc).

Thanks, 48hrs on and it's still rattling, I'll try a poke with a 2.5mm
drill bit

--

bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , YAPH
writes
On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:09:25 +0100, bof wrote:

Just replaced a Permutit scale inhibitor cartridge, and after 24hrs
tapping the cartridge I can still hear the polyphosphate balls rattling
around, as though water hasn't got into the cartridge. I've replaced
them before but never checked to see how long they take to fill.

If it's the metal can type they're crap: the tiny waterways in the brass
connector block up with redeposited scale-inhibitor salt (almost as if
they'd scaled up!). You can clear them out with a 2.5mm drill bit (they
really get too hard to poke out) but they're likely to block up again in
a few months. I've stopped fitting them and now replace existing ones
with SFWH1s from Screwfix (code 20351 iirc).

Yep, did the trick cleared out the two holes each on the can holder and
the pipe fitting, and seems like its working again, certainly filled up
quick though it still rattles a bit

--

bof at bof dot me dot uk

Permutit PSM-65 water softener trouble JonE UK diy 15 September 15th 16 11:27 PM
Scale inhibitor problem Aniseed UK diy 8 September 2nd 13 10:23 AM
Scale Wizard (limescale inhibitor) [email protected] UK diy 65 March 1st 09 08:33 PM
Advice on which electric scale inhibitor to use. [email protected] UK diy 67 January 19th 07 01:48 PM
bag-in-tank type scale inhibitor John Stumbles UK diy 1 June 21st 06 04:11 PM