Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best Dry Lining Box

Hi all

A colleague is batoning and insulating a cold wall, with 12mm plasterboard
to cover.

I have suggested that he makes sure batons are installed close to the
proposed double socket location and that he uses a dry lining box.

As this will be for a socket (which take more hammer than switches
obviously), can you guys recommend the most sturdy box please?
There seem to be various types on the market, some of which look well waffey
to me!

Thanks

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

There seem to be various types on the market, some of which look well waffey
to me!

It's not the boxes that give out but the plasterboard. Most seem to have
the same size sideflaps so little to choose there in terms of load
spreading. To my mind they'd be better if they had extra flaps top and
bottom on the double boxes as they're nearly always going to be socket
boxes.

Having said that, I fitted a double socket in an existing plasterboard
wall the other day using one and was surprised at how solid it felt.

If it was me, I'd simply set a 35mm metal back box into the existing
wall so that it'll sit flush with (or slightly behind) the front face of
the plasterboard when it's fitted.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott M" wrote

TheScullster wrote:

There seem to be various types on the market, some of which look well
waffey to me!

It's not the boxes that give out but the plasterboard. Most seem to have
the same size sideflaps so little to choose there in terms of load
spreading. To my mind they'd be better if they had extra flaps top and
bottom on the double boxes as they're nearly always going to be socket
boxes.

Having said that, I fitted a double socket in an existing plasterboard
wall the other day using one and was surprised at how solid it felt.

If it was me, I'd simply set a 35mm metal back box into the existing wall
so that it'll sit flush with (or slightly behind) the front face of the
plasterboard when it's fitted.

--
Scott

Thanks Scott

That was my first thought - I like metal boxes screwed to something solid!
But that would cause a cold bridge to the solid/cold/damp outside wall.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott M wrote:
It's not the boxes that give out but the plasterboard. Most seem to have
the same size sideflaps so little to choose there in terms of load
spreading. To my mind they'd be better if they had extra flaps top and
bottom on the double boxes as they're nearly always going to be socket
boxes.

Having said that, I fitted a double socket in an existing plasterboard
wall the other day using one and was surprised at how solid it felt.

If it was me, I'd simply set a 35mm metal back box into the existing
wall so that it'll sit flush with (or slightly behind) the front face of
the plasterboard when it's fitted.

I screw wood battens (1 x 1/2" or so) to the back of the plasterboard and
fix a metal box to those. Handy in a partition wall. It sounds quite long
winded but doesn't actually add much time to the installation. Of course I
realise a pro sparks wouldn't have the time for this.

--
*I yell because I care

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 13:35:42 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

If it was me, I'd simply set a 35mm metal back box into the

existing
wall so that it'll sit flush with (or slightly behind) the front

face
of the plasterboard when it's fitted.

That was my first thought - I like metal boxes screwed to something
solid!

So do it but the times I've used a drylining box on plasterboard the
fix is firm enough but I've always tried to as close to a stud as
possible rather than in the middle of span. The noise as the whole
wall acts a sound board as you plug/unplug/switch is another matter.

But that would cause a cold bridge to the solid/cold/damp outside
wall.

I'm wondereding how the spark is going to deal with fixing boxes to
plasterboard with 50mm of kingspan bonded on the back and running
cables to them behind the 8x4 sheets...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote

[...]

Thanks Dave

This is a DIY job.
My colleague intends to fit batons to wall and infill with kingspan.
Then cover over with kingspan over top of batons.
Then plasterboard over.
The cables will come up through the floor behind plasterboard in channel cut
in top layer of kingspan.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Scott M wrote:
[...]

I bet have enough time do that in their own house:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth
writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Scott M wrote:
[...]

I bet few have enough time to finish typing before they hit send ;-)
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 5, 12:11 pm, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

A colleague is batoning and insulating a cold wall, with 12mm plasterboard
to cover.

I have suggested that he makes sure batons are installed close to the
proposed double socket location and that he uses a dry lining box.

As this will be for a socket (which take more hammer than switches
obviously), can you guys recommend the most sturdy box please?
There seem to be various types on the market, some of which look well waffey
to me!

Thanks

Phil

never had any issues throughout this place with Appleby dry lining
boxes installed in normal (just pboard) way

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
I screw wood battens (1 x 1/2" or so) to the back of the plasterboard
and fix a metal box to those. Handy in a partition wall. It sounds
quite long winded but doesn't actually add much time to the
installation. Of course I realise a pro sparks wouldn't have the time
for this.

I bet have enough time do that in their own house:-)

;-) Put it this way - it makes the box to plasterboard fixing as strong as
the plasterboard. It also allows easy and perfect lining up of two or more
boxes close by. You do usually need to drill extra holes in the boxes,
though. To pick up near the middle of the batten.

--
*No radio - Already stolen.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Like 'V' lining but not 'V'' lining !! robgraham UK diy 5 May 30th 11 04:50 PM
dry lining bob UK diy 1 January 21st 10 03:44 PM
Loft Lining TrailRat UK diy 2 August 1st 08 11:54 AM
Dry Lining Gunther Gloop UK diy 33 September 18th 06 02:35 PM