Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Best Dry Lining Box

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Scott M wrote:
It's not the boxes that give out but the plasterboard. Most seem to
have the same size sideflaps so little to choose there in terms of
load spreading. To my mind they'd be better if they had extra flaps
top and bottom on the double boxes as they're nearly always going to
be socket boxes.

Having said that, I fitted a double socket in an existing
plasterboard wall the other day using one and was surprised at how
solid it felt.

If it was me, I'd simply set a 35mm metal back box into the existing
wall so that it'll sit flush with (or slightly behind) the front
face of the plasterboard when it's fitted.

I screw wood battens (1 x 1/2" or so) to the back of the plasterboard
and fix a metal box to those. Handy in a partition wall. It sounds
quite long winded but doesn't actually add much time to the
installation. Of course I realise a pro sparks wouldn't have the time
for this.

I bet have enough time do that in their own house:-)

--
Adam