Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loft Lining

I live next to a busy main road and my loft is filled with a black
soot like substance that I'm sure is from the car exhuasts so I would
like to line my loft with something.

I have considered cheap tarpaulin but I would like to let my loft
"breath" still and I think it would affect the way the insulation
works too.

I have also thought about buying rolls of cheap polycotton which would
keep the soot of my stuff and let my loft breath too.

Some might suggest just getting the loft boarded out on the roof
rafters but this will prove expensive and I'm only a tenant in this
property. My landlord wouldn't pay for it.

I was just lookingfor other possible cheap solutions that can stapled
to the roof rafters. Cheap being the optimum word.

Many Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TrailRat writes:
I live next to a busy main road and my loft is filled with a black
soot like substance that I'm sure is from the car exhuasts so I would
like to line my loft with something.

It's almost certainly mostly historic. It came from smoke from
fireplaces in the locality and drift from stubble burning, both
of which have pretty much ceased.

There's loads in the loft of a 1900 house, but none has appeared
on the stuff we put up there 20 years ago.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 1, 9:37*am, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

It's almost certainly mostly historic. It came from smoke from
fireplaces in the locality and drift from stubble burning, both
of which have pretty much ceased.

There's loads in the loft of a 1900 house, but none has appeared
on the stuff we put up there 20 years ago.

Ahhh no this isn't old soot, the house was built in the 30's (I think)
and when I moved in I did at the expense of the landlord I laid
insulation and floorboards. Before my stuff went up there it was
hoovered out and cleaned up. But now my boxes of stuff is coated in
this black soot! So in a massive sort out and clear up, lining the
loft is one of the key jobs.

Loft insulation. Warm loft, colder bedrooms? [email protected] UK diy 2 October 27th 07 07:52 PM
How do you tell if a chimney needs lining? mike UK diy 8 September 26th 07 03:09 PM
Dry Lining Gunther Gloop UK diy 33 September 18th 06 02:35 PM
Chimney Lining... Gordon Henderson UK diy 22 December 17th 05 12:23 PM
Board Loft or Loft Conversion Justin Hughes UK diy 8 August 18th 04 01:42 PM