Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do you tell if a chimney needs lining?

We're thinking about replacing a tastless old gasfire with a woodburner.
The chap in the fireplace shop said that the chimney wouldn't
necessarily need lining if it had been in regular use with either an
open or gas fire, and that they'd do a smoke test to see if it did.

Is that correct? Is that all you need to do to check that a chimney is
sound? It's a 1930's house, BTW.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:41:07 +0000, mike wrote:

We're thinking about replacing a tastless old gasfire with a woodburner.
The chap in the fireplace shop said that the chimney wouldn't
necessarily need lining if it had been in regular use with either an
open or gas fire, and that they'd do a smoke test to see if it did.

Is that correct? Is that all you need to do to check that a chimney is
sound? It's a 1930's house, BTW.

inspection and judgement are also required.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
We're thinking about replacing a tastless old gasfire with a woodburner.
The chap in the fireplace shop said that the chimney wouldn't
necessarily need lining if it had been in regular use with either an
open or gas fire, and that they'd do a smoke test to see if it did.

Is that correct? Is that all you need to do to check that a chimney is
sound? It's a 1930's house, BTW.

Mmm. Styrctly it SHOULD be lined, bu you vcan get away with a flexible.

IIRC te riles are like this.

If was open fire, and still open fire, and always been open for, no need
to line.

If was designed for open fire and is now gas fire oil stove or
woodburner, lining mandatory unless it can be shown the chimney has been
constructed in accordance with XYZ regulations (which it won't be as its
1930)

If chimney is prey 1969 (? thereabouts?) flexible liners allowed.
If not full double skinned metal liner must be used at huge expense.

Such regulations come into effect when *any material change is done*
i.e. when installing a NEW fire even of of the same type as the old...

The specifications for woodburners are far more stringent than gas or
oil fired appliances, as the gas efflux temperatures may be far higher,
and soot deposition and chimney fires is a real possibility: Hence
flues that are insulated and can run at high temps are desirable to
avoid soot condensation.

That from memory is the position. My woodburner flue of less than a
storey was the best part of a grand..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:41:07 +0000, mike wrote:

We're thinking about replacing a tastless old gasfire with a woodburner.
The chap in the fireplace shop said that the chimney wouldn't
necessarily need lining if it had been in regular use with either an
open or gas fire, and that they'd do a smoke test to see if it did.

Is that correct? Is that all you need to do to check that a chimney is
sound? It's a 1930's house, BTW.

inspection and judgement are also required.

ER no. A liner is mandatory actually.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 00:57:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:41:07 +0000, mike wrote:

We're thinking about replacing a tastless old gasfire with a woodburner.
The chap in the fireplace shop said that the chimney wouldn't
necessarily need lining if it had been in regular use with either an
open or gas fire, and that they'd do a smoke test to see if it did.

Is that correct? Is that all you need to do to check that a chimney is
sound? It's a 1930's house, BTW.

inspection and judgement are also required.

ER no. A liner is mandatory actually.

You're right for the fire the OP wants to fit.
(but not for a gas fire).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ed Sirett wrote:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 00:57:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
inspection and judgement are also required.

ER no. A liner is mandatory actually.

You're right for the fire the OP wants to fit.
(but not for a gas fire).

So if a liner is mandatory for a woodurner in a fireplace that was
previoulsy used with gas, the advice from the guy in the fireplace shop
is obvioulsy dubious?

NP, have you got any idea what the payback time for a woodburner/chimney
lining are as opposed to gas or have you done it for aesthetic reasons?
I'm guessing that even with the price of gas and likely increases in the
future, the woodburner is a (very) long term investement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
In article ,
Ed Sirett wrote:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 00:57:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
inspection and judgement are also required.
ER no. A liner is mandatory actually.

You're right for the fire the OP wants to fit.
(but not for a gas fire).

So if a liner is mandatory for a woodurner in a fireplace that was
previoulsy used with gas, the advice from the guy in the fireplace shop
is obvioulsy dubious?

NP, have you got any idea what the payback time for a woodburner/chimney
lining are as opposed to gas or have you done it for aesthetic reasons?
I'm guessing that even with the price of gas and likely increases in the
future, the woodburner is a (very) long term investement.

I was buldig a house, and wanted open fires, and had a spare woodburng
stove so we stuck it ina bedroom..

It cots bloody fortune to put the liner in. About a years supply f
oil..for teh while house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It cots bloody fortune to put the liner in. About a years supply f
oil..for teh while house.

Thanks, I think the costs over and above the actual woodburner soon
make it seem far less attractive... although they do look great...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It cots bloody fortune to put the liner in. About a years supply f
oil..for teh while house.

Thanks, I think the costs over and above the actual woodburner soon
make it seem far less attractive... although they do look great...

If you have access to the wood for free, and you like the idea, it will
pay for itself.

If you don't, oil will have to treble before its really worthwhile.