Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outdoor socket question

My daughter has just moved into a house that has an outdoor socket
installed. Its an MK socket, looks like it could be a Masterseal.
Is there a magic way of opening the cover? We have tried just lifting it
from the bottom, but it refuses to move.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dawn" wrote in message ...
My daughter has just moved into a house that has an outdoor socket
installed. Its an MK socket, looks like it could be a Masterseal.
Is there a magic way of opening the cover? We have tried just lifting it
from the bottom, but it refuses to move.

You have to press up on the tabs underneath the bottom edge.
It can be hard when new as I found out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 21:22:40 +0100 Dawn wrote :
My daughter has just moved into a house that has an outdoor socket
installed. Its an MK socket, looks like it could be a Masterseal.
Is there a magic way of opening the cover? We have tried just lifting
it from the bottom, but it refuses to move.

If it's like the one at my mum's, it hinges from the top and you open it
by squeezing the lid gently between the centre top and centre bottom
(where the flex hole is).

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on', Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.eurobeam.co.uk www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dawn wrote:
My daughter has just moved into a house that has an outdoor socket
installed. Its an MK socket, looks like it could be a Masterseal.
Is there a magic way of opening the cover? We have tried just lifting it
from the bottom, but it refuses to move.

Lift and pull outwards. Or possibly push down and pull outwards. They
are very stiff, but i've not broken mine yet..

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2011 21:41, dennis@home wrote:

"Dawn" wrote in message ...
My daughter has just moved into a house that has an outdoor socket
installed. Its an MK socket, looks like it could be a Masterseal.
Is there a magic way of opening the cover? We have tried just lifting
it from the bottom, but it refuses to move.

You have to press up on the tabs underneath the bottom edge.
It can be hard when new as I found out.

Mine's 10 years old, and I still can't flip the bloody lid open without
an implement of some sort.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

"Dawn" wrote in message
My daughter has just moved into a house that has an outdoor socket
installed. Its an MK socket, looks like it could be a Masterseal.
Is there a magic way of opening the cover? We have tried just lifting
it from the bottom, but it refuses to move.

You have to press up on the tabs underneath the bottom edge.
It can be hard when new as I found out.

Mine's 10 years old, and I still can't flip the bloody lid open without an
implement of some sort.

I had one from wickes (I don't recall the brand) which was so tough I
eventually ended up ripping the front off the hinges opening it one time as
I pulled a bit too hard and it opened faster than usual.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

news

"Dawn" wrote in message
My daughter has just moved into a house that has an outdoor socket
installed. Its an MK socket, looks like it could be a Masterseal.
Is there a magic way of opening the cover? We have tried just lifting
it from the bottom, but it refuses to move.

You have to press up on the tabs underneath the bottom edge.
It can be hard when new as I found out.

Mine's 10 years old, and I still can't flip the bloody lid open
without an implement of some sort.

I had one from wickes (I don't recall the brand) which was so tough I
eventually ended up ripping the front off the hinges opening it one time
as I pulled a bit too hard and it opened faster than usual.

The Clipsal ones aren't much better (OK they're not full weatherproof,
just weather resistant, but I tend to fit them inside the garage and shed).