Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solar PV (again) - installation gotchas

Just had my first quote for Solar PV.
The roof is estimatd to take only a 5 panel/1.25Kw system.

One aspect of the quote (which differs from the Which? advice) is that you
don't get a full survey until you sign up and pay 20%.

I would be more suspicious if the firm hadn't done two installs for local
friends which both seem O.K.

So - (I am lining up some other quotes) what are the possible gotchas which
could show up in a survery?

Pretty sure the roof will take the load (1930's semi of good construction)
so the only other major item is the electrical system.

Any obvious gotchas with an older installation, such as maximum load,
earthing type etc.?
[I am already a little concerned that the lights dim noticeably when the
electric shower is turned on.]

Anything complicated about the way the feed is integrated with the house
electrical system?
If we, for instance, needed the fuse box (and possibly the meter) moving
and/or upgrading when we redo the back of the house is this likely to need
more than a minor tweak from an experienced electrician?

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder