brucej

Default Re-decorating Wall

We are currently re-decorating our house. This is our first house so
we are very new to it all. We plan to remove wall paper and dado
rails and paint the wall a plain colour eg off white.

Removing the wallpaper has been a lot easier than we anticipated, but
the wall underneath has very small dents and chips in the paint. Is
there an easy way to improve these... they look too small for filler.
Would covering with a liner paper before painting help. Is there any
paint that would help fill the dents and chips, or are we now
committed to having the wall replastered.

would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

regards
Bruce
Colin M

I've never been happy with the effect of painted lining paper on old walls.
As the dado removal will probably need filling, I'd invest in a skim coat
particularly as you plan on an almost white wall.

Colin

stuart noble

Marc Lee wrote in message ...
Removing the wallpaper has been a lot easier than we anticipated, but
the wall underneath has very small dents and chips in the paint. Is
there an easy way to improve these... they look too small for filler.
Would covering with a liner paper before painting help. Is there any
paint that would help fill the dents and chips, or are we now
committed to having the wall replastered.

The rustic look seems to be the fashion at the moment, painting on to bare
plaster and highlighting all the imperfections. Personally, I'd line the
walls after giving it a couple of coats of 1pva: 4 water. This makes the
paper much easier to move around and it's flatter when it dries.
If you need to fill the dents, which is unlikely if you didn't notice them
before, apply sloppy Polyfilla with a plasterer's trowel. This way you
shouldn't need to rub it down afterwards. Of course you get it all over the
wall but it doesn't matter as long as it's flat.

RichardS

"brucej" wrote in message
m...
We are currently re-decorating our house. This is our first house so
we are very new to it all. We plan to remove wall paper and dado
rails and paint the wall a plain colour eg off white.

Removing the wallpaper has been a lot easier than we anticipated, but
the wall underneath has very small dents and chips in the paint. Is
there an easy way to improve these... they look too small for filler.
Would covering with a liner paper before painting help. Is there any
paint that would help fill the dents and chips, or are we now
committed to having the wall replastered.

would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

regards
Bruce

Go over the wall with something to scrape off the small high-spots that may
be present, then just mix up one of the gritty fillers - polycell, mangers
and the likes. Apply to the dents, scrape off level whilst still workable,
then go over with a sanding block with coarse paper when it's all dried.
(wear a mask, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that).

Prime/size the walls with weak paste/pva/basecoat/whatever, then line with a
HEAVY lining paper - you want 1000 or 1200 g/sq.m to best hide
imperfections.

You can now paint away to your heart's content. I'd recommend an initial
coat with a matt trade emulsion because going straight on with an expensive
colour coat will just use more paint - the lining paper will soak up a fair
amount.

It works well - I've done this in a few of the rooms of our house, none of
which had perfect plasterwork by any stretch of the imagination. You'd not
tell that there are imperfections underneath now, and I _am_ fussy about
standards of decoration.

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Damp inside loft wall Orb UK diy 2 August 22nd 03 11:18 AM
Taking out a wall and building regs... Adam UK diy 8 August 21st 03 10:39 PM
(another variation on) soundproofing party wall DP UK diy 0 August 14th 03 09:20 AM
Overflow extended length from external wall - Building Regulations Jeff Martin UK diy 1 August 13th 03 11:37 PM
Wall mounted bath taps Roger Wareham UK diy 1 August 6th 03 03:49 PM