Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car problem OT

Sorry to be back again. Thanks for all the help with computer ( working
after a fashion now) and with the lamp shade fixing.

I have a car which I bought in March. I had one of those diamond brite
scratch coatings ( or whatever ) put on it. I didn't realize at the time but
in the splurge it says that because of this the car has to be washed with
special stuff ( I was given a pack).

I don't like washing cars and have always taken mine to a little man who
washes , waxes and valets it for me whilst I go shopping round the mall. But
with this coating I am afraid I cant do that . Result one frightfully dirty
car.

Is it really so that this scotchbirte/ diamond brite stuff means it has to
be cleaned with special products? Will it spoil it if I go and get this man
to clean the car - wash., wax and valet with whatever he uses?

Advice would be welcome. Had I known the car would have to be cleaned by
me I would never have spent the money of the cover guard stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
Sorry to be back again. Thanks for all the help with computer ( working
after a fashion now) and with the lamp shade fixing.

I have a car which I bought in March. I had one of those diamond brite
scratch coatings ( or whatever ) put on it. I didn't realize at the time
but in the splurge it says that because of this the car has to be washed
with special stuff ( I was given a pack).

Don't worry about it STWNFI has a car with Diamond Brite that has always
been washed with whatever is at hand, by machine or by a bunch of illegals
in an old filling station etc. 5 years on and it still looks pretty good.
She currently uses this "Showroom shine" magic stuff in a trigger spray.
Spray it on, spread it around, polish it of, car looks great and all done
with no water!

Oh and I don't consider car problems to be OT, having it washed by someone
else now, that is a bit OTT :-)

Just a thought, you could give the special stuff to your little man in the
mall carpark to use occasionally.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MuddyMike" wrote in message
om...

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
Sorry to be back again. Thanks for all the help with computer ( working
after a fashion now) and with the lamp shade fixing.

Just a thought, you could give the special stuff to your little man in the
mall carpark to use occasionally.

Just a test to see if this creates yet another new subject line.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2011 10:01, MuddyMike wrote:

STWNFI

????

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 24/06/2011 10:01, MuddyMike wrote:

STWNFI

????

http://choralmusic.biz/shop/three-lo...ycle-p-88.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/2011 09:15, Andy Burns wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 24/06/2011 10:01, MuddyMike wrote:

STWNFI

????

http://choralmusic.biz/shop/three-lo...ycle-p-88.html

Creep :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

I have a car which I bought in March. I had one of those diamond brite
scratch coatings ( or whatever ) put on it. I didn't realize at the time but
in the splurge it says that because of this the car has to be washed with
special stuff ( I was given a pack).

I don't like washing cars and have always taken mine to a little man who
washes , waxes and valets it for me whilst I go shopping round the mall. But
with this coating I am afraid I cant do that . Result one frightfully dirty
car.

Is it really so that this scotchbirte/ diamond brite stuff means it has to
be cleaned with special products? Will it spoil it if I go and get this man
to clean the car - wash., wax and valet with whatever he uses?

Advice would be welcome. Had I known the car would have to be cleaned by
me I would never have spent the money of the cover guard stuff.

If you are going to make use of the special treatment that you
have spent your money on, then you need to do what it says in the
instructions. I was persuaded, in a moment of weakness, to buy
it, and can report that it worked tolerably well.

The snag is that it is incompatible with wax, and one you have
introduced it, in either the shampoo, or by actual waxing, then
the treatment can be considered lost.

So, you really have two options, use the special products, or
regard the money as wasted and use your usual man.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
sweetheart wrote:

[...]

Or do as I did and ask the little man (ours is in Tesco) to just use soapy
water and tell him why. He didn't seem in the least surprised so it must
happen a lot.
--
Tinkerer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 24, 8:45*am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
Sorry to be back again. Thanks for all the help with computer ( working
after a fashion now) and with the *lamp shade fixing.

I have a car *which I bought in March. * I had one of those diamond brite
scratch coatings ( or whatever ) put on it. I didn't realize at the time but
in the splurge it says that because of this the car has to be washed with
special *stuff ( I was given a pack).

When we bought a new car last year, the salesman tried very hard to
flog this to us. "Special discounts", pre-delivery treatment etc etc

However, he seemed unable to explain why they were selling inferior
cars, since they clearly *needed* this treatment.

We didn't buy it, and the car looks great.

When ABS was an extra. I used to love to get salesmen to explain how
they could sell "unsafe" cars, since they claimed ABS was a "safety
feature". Although (bless their cotton socks) some did try to call it
a "comfort feature" ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 24, 10:39*am, Jethro wrote:
On Jun 24, 8:45*am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Sorry to be back again. Thanks for all the help with computer ( working
after a fashion now) and with the *lamp shade fixing.

I have a car *which I bought in March. * I had one of those diamond brite
scratch coatings ( or whatever ) put on it. I didn't realize at the time but
in the splurge it says that because of this the car has to be washed with
special *stuff ( I was given a pack).

When we bought a new car last year, the salesman tried very hard to
flog this to us. "Special discounts", pre-delivery treatment etc etc

However, he seemed unable to explain why they were selling inferior
cars, since they clearly *needed* this treatment.

They make a *lot* of money on it. You can DIY far cheaper.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

I have a car which I bought in March. I had one of those diamond
brite scratch coatings ( or whatever ) put on it.

These coatings are one up from a con. Most people forget they've even
had it applied by the time they come to wash it for the first time.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , sweetheart
wrote

I don't like washing cars and have always taken mine to a little man
who washes , waxes and valets it for me whilst I go shopping round the
mall. But with this coating I am afraid I cant do that . Result one
frightfully dirty car.

Whatever you do don't take it out in the rain or the snake oil will wash
off.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2011 08:45, sweetheart wrote:
Advice would be welcome.

You bought a _new_ car??

The only new one I ever bought was for my wife. She still has it, it's
still shiny, and that's ten years on. Mine's almost the same age, and
even more shiny.

The secret? Occasional wax, and don't leave it out in the weather too
much. They're both garaged at home, and I have a covered car park at work.

Well, usually garaged. Mines out at the moment as it's all wet, and I
don't want to make my tools go all rusty!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...
On 24/06/2011 08:45, sweetheart wrote:
Advice would be welcome.

You bought a _new_ car??

Yes, I bought a new car. Not an expensive one as cars go, only a Mazda.
I work a long way from home, there are no busses, I can work odd hours and I
need reliable transport and hassle free driving ( OH wont or cant do
anything if it goes wrong, so I would be stranded.)

The secret? Occasional wax, and don't leave it out in the weather too
much.

I bet its the latter. Unfortunately I do not have a garage. I asked OH for
one ( to take down two rubbish sheds and put up one of those quick errect
types even but he wont. I asked for a car port. They advised against that
here. So car is out in all weathers.

Thanks for the tips. I do need my car washed. It will have to go this
weekend. I also need it vaccuumed out too ( live in country lots of leaves).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , sweetheart
wrote

I bet its the latter. Unfortunately I do not have a garage. I asked OH
for one ( to take down two rubbish sheds and put up one of those quick
errect types even but he wont. I asked for a car port. They advised
against that here. So car is out in all weathers.

Is this the new car syndrome at work? For the first few months get it
washed and vacuumed every week. After the novelty has worn off wash it
when it gets too dirty or every 6 months, whichever comes sooner. As for
vacuuming the interiors its only done just before an MOT, partially for
the BS value and partially because you feel a bit embarrassed about all
the crap in your car.

Modern paints, and the way they are applied, are a lot better than the
paints of the past. The 10 year old car sitting in my driveway, and sat
out in all weathers, can still be buffed up to a nice shine with no sign
of rust. Being lazy, my car was is done at the local car wash and
spinning brushes. Obviously it has the odd stone chip and scratch but
that wouldn't have been prevented by using a garage or some wonder
product that costs a fortune to maintain.
--
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , sweetheart
wrote

Is this the new car syndrome at work? For the first few months get it
washed and vacuumed every week. After the novelty has worn off wash it
when it gets too dirty or every 6 months, whichever comes sooner.

No I have always had my car - whatever age, washed and valeted every month.
I just cant stand doing it myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Alan wrote:
Modern paints, and the way they are applied, are a lot better than the
paints of the past.
The 10 year old car sitting in my driveway, and sat
out in all weathers, can still be buffed up to a nice shine with no sign
of rust.

More to do with wax treatment to the inside of the body.

Being lazy, my car was is done at the local car wash and
spinning brushes. Obviously it has the odd stone chip and scratch but
that wouldn't have been prevented by using a garage or some wonder
product that costs a fortune to maintain.

If it's been through a car wash, it will be covered in tiny scratches.

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote

More to do with wax treatment to the inside of the body.

Do they still use "wax" rust treatments? Isn't it more likely to be
epoxy paints to seal the bare metal surfaces and ensuring that the metal
remains clean during manufacture.

If it's been through a car wash, it will be covered in tiny scratches.

But the point is that on a car where the paint has been abused by the
weather and spinning brushes for the past 10 years it doesn't look
shoddy or lacklustre. Perhaps people spend too much, on wonder products
for the car that do little to improve what the original manufacturer has
provided in the way of paint. Often these products are applied so the
dealer can charge £100s for cleaning the car prior to delivery to its
first owner.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
wrote:
Modern paints, and the way they are applied, are a lot better than the
paints of the past.
The 10 year old car sitting in my driveway, and sat
out in all weathers, can still be buffed up to a nice shine with no sign
of rust.

More to do with wax treatment to the inside of the body.

Galvanising or similar helps too - I first noticed this when a large
paint scratch didn't turn rusty.