Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Digital indoor aerial

A collegue from my Council days contacted me yesterday.
She's got an elderly client, analogue TV about to be turned
off, Free Digibox men came around to give him a set-top
box.

Oh no, mate. You need a new TV mate. Can't plug this in
mate, waving a SCART plug at him.

No, he just needs a UHF aerial lead, just like my TV, I showed
her. Here, have a spare lead, I can pop around and plug it in
for him.

Working now, but he's got a crappy little indoor aerial and the
digital pictures and sound break up. He hasn't got an outdoor
aerial. What indoor aerial would people recommend. He's
got line of sight to Crosspool transmitter about 3 miles
away which his analogue channels are currently tuned in to.

Ta.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2011 11:57, jgharston wrote:
A collegue from my Council days contacted me yesterday.
She's got an elderly client, analogue TV about to be turned
off, Free Digibox men came around to give him a set-top
box.

Oh no, mate. You need a new TV mate. Can't plug this in
mate, waving a SCART plug at him.

No, he just needs a UHF aerial lead, just like my TV, I showed
her. Here, have a spare lead, I can pop around and plug it in
for him.

Working now, but he's got a crappy little indoor aerial and the
digital pictures and sound break up.

Rare box now, it has a modulator. Which one was it?

Following DSO is there a chance signal strength may increase in his area?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
jgharston wrote:
A collegue from my Council days contacted me yesterday.
She's got an elderly client, analogue TV about to be turned
off, Free Digibox men came around to give him a set-top
box.

Oh no, mate. You need a new TV mate. Can't plug this in
mate, waving a SCART plug at him.

No, he just needs a UHF aerial lead, just like my TV, I showed
her. Here, have a spare lead, I can pop around and plug it in
for him.

Working now, but he's got a crappy little indoor aerial and the
digital pictures and sound break up. He hasn't got an outdoor
aerial. What indoor aerial would people recommend. He's
got line of sight to Crosspool transmitter about 3 miles
away which his analogue channels are currently tuned in to.

The power output of the FreeView transmitters increases when analogue is
finally switched off in your area. So that indoor aerial may be alright
then.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
A collegue from my Council days contacted me yesterday.
She's got an elderly client, analogue TV about to be turned
off, Free Digibox men came around to give him a set-top
box.

Oh no, mate. You need a new TV mate. Can't plug this in
mate, waving a SCART plug at him.

No, he just needs a UHF aerial lead, just like my TV, I showed
her. Here, have a spare lead, I can pop around and plug it in
for him.

Working now, but he's got a crappy little indoor aerial and the
digital pictures and sound break up. He hasn't got an outdoor
aerial. What indoor aerial would people recommend. He's
got line of sight to Crosspool transmitter about 3 miles
away which his analogue channels are currently tuned in to.

Almost no indoor aerial works with digital.

You need some sor of directional thing as high as you can get it.

Try a camping antenna.

Ta.

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
jgharston wrote:
A collegue from my Council days contacted me yesterday.
She's got an elderly client, analogue TV about to be turned
off, Free Digibox men came around to give him a set-top
box.
Oh no, mate. You need a new TV mate. Can't plug this in
mate, waving a SCART plug at him.
No, he just needs a UHF aerial lead, just like my TV, I showed
her. Here, have a spare lead, I can pop around and plug it in
for him.
Working now, but he's got a crappy little indoor aerial and the
digital pictures and sound break up. He hasn't got an outdoor
aerial. What indoor aerial would people recommend. He's
got line of sight to Crosspool transmitter about 3 miles
away which his analogue channels are currently tuned in to.

Almost no indoor aerial works with digital.

Nonsense. An indoor aerial leaves a lot to be desired, but if you can
get satisfactory analogue, you'll probably get digital OK.

You need some sor of directional thing as high as you can get it.

It certainly helps - but, in this situation, is it necessary?

Try a camping antenna.

As the aerial is pointing out of the window, and can actually see the
transmitter, I'm surprised the digital is no good. If five analogue
signs were perfectly OK, the digital signals should be OK. Even if they
are in a different of the UHF spectrum, that aerial at
http://goo.gl/052pb
is a log periodic, so it is (supposed to be) wideband. I'm surprised it
doesn't work. Has moving it around a little been tried?
--
ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 21/06/11 11:57, jgharston wrote:
A collegue from my Council days contacted me yesterday.
She's got an elderly client, analogue TV about to be turned
off, Free Digibox men came around to give him a set-top
box.

Oh no, mate. You need a new TV mate. Can't plug this in
mate, waving a SCART plug at him.

No, he just needs a UHF aerial lead, just like my TV, I showed
her. Here, have a spare lead, I can pop around and plug it in
for him.

Working now, but he's got a crappy little indoor aerial and the
digital pictures and sound break up. He hasn't got an outdoor
aerial. What indoor aerial would people recommend. He's
got line of sight to Crosspool transmitter about 3 miles
away which his analogue channels are currently tuned in to.

You might be better off asking in uk.tech.digital-tv
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Thanks for the advice from everybody, I'm currently waiting
for Digital Help Scheme to get back to me to arrange
an aerial installation.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

jgharston wrote:
Thanks for the advice from everybody, I'm currently waiting
for Digital Help Scheme to get back to me to arrange
an aerial installation.

They've replied and said that as Ken's receiving 16 channels
he's not entitled to an aerial installation. Makes no
difference that the channels he receives are constantly
breaking up into square boxes and the sound stutters
constantly, the box has found 16 channels, end of argument.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article
s.com, jgharston scribeth thus
jgharston wrote:
Thanks for the advice from everybody, I'm currently waiting
for Digital Help Scheme to get back to me to arrange
an aerial installation.

They've replied and said that as Ken's receiving 16 channels
he's not entitled to an aerial installation. Makes no
difference that the channels he receives are constantly
breaking up into square boxes and the sound stutters
constantly, the box has found 16 channels, end of argument.

JGH

Jeezzz don't some real clueless prats get involved in these things!..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Saturday, June 25th, 2011 at 11:20:09h +0100, Tony Sayer wrote:

In article
s.com, jgharston scribeth thus
They've replied and said that as Ken's receiving 16 channels he's not
entitled to an aerial installation. Makes no difference that the
channels he receives are constantly breaking up into square boxes and
the sound stutters constantly, the box has found 16 channels, end of
argument.

JGH

don't some real clueless prats get involved in these things!..

Err no. You do not seem to understand that if they do an installation
of an antenna that will severely impact the profit that they are making.

So a truly clued up person will supply a pretty good excuse as to
why they are not obligated to install an antenna.

Remember the employees of the company providing the digital help scheme
have to answer to their managers who want their bonuses and of course
to the stockholders who want the maximum return on their investment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

jgharston wrote:
Thanks for the advice from everybody, I'm currently waiting
for Digital Help Scheme to get back to me to arrange
an aerial installation.

They've replied and said that as Ken's receiving 16 channels
he's not entitled to an aerial installation. Makes no
difference that the channels he receives are constantly
breaking up into square boxes and the sound stutters
constantly, the box has found 16 channels, end of argument.

JGH

Jeezzz don't some real clueless prats get involved in these things!..

All these schemes (Channel Four, Channel Five, OnDigital, now Digital
UK) used or use subcontractors and the quality is extremely variable. At
present we are having many difficulties with our social housing
contracts. People are going in and handing out some ludicrously bad
advice, and also slagging off our systems unjustifiably.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"jgharston" wrote in message
jgharston wrote:
Thanks for the advice from everybody, I'm currently waiting
for Digital Help Scheme to get back to me to arrange
an aerial installation.

They've replied and said that as Ken's receiving 16 channels
he's not entitled to an aerial installation. Makes no
difference that the channels he receives are constantly
breaking up into square boxes and the sound stutters
constantly, the box has found 16 channels, end of argument.

JGH

One of the things that they rely upon heavily is that Tx power is
going up considerably at DSO - Crosspool goes from the current
50W to 1KW which will give a signal voltage increase of something
over 4 times which ought to clear the pixelation.

However you do have a claim against the Digital Help Scheme as to
say that if you can receive three muxes it is enough is not
acceptable when the Tx you are using is radiating six!
Furthermore three of the six muxes are and will be in aerial
group B where existing analogue transmissions are in group A, so
a wideband aerial will become mandatory.

You say that Ken has line of sight to Crosspool but from which
direction? Crosspool has directional signals to avoid
interference from other sites. Maybe he should be using a
different transmitter?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Woody wrote:
You say that Ken has line of sight to Crosspool but from which
direction? Crosspool has directional signals to avoid
interference from other sites. Maybe he should be using a
different transmitter?

Without giving away personal details, his flat is on the south
side of his block with a line of sight west-south-west straight
up Upperthorpe (not Upperthorpe Road, the road called Upperthorpe)
towards Crosspool, 1.5m Google Walking distance.

Failing that, a trip to the local MP surgery may invoke a letter

People keep coming to me with these things because I used to be
the local councillor and "Jonathan knows TV things" having been
a Channel 5 retuner doing the jobs too complicated for the
swathes of electricians and decorators that made up the majority
of the retuners back then.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Woody wrote:
You say that Ken has line of sight to Crosspool but from which
direction? Crosspool has directional signals to avoid
interference from other sites. Maybe he should be using a
different transmitter?

Odd. I replied to this this morning.

His flat is on the south side of his building with a direct
line of sight straight up Upperthorpe (not Upperthorpe Road,
the road called Upperthorpe) in a west-south-west direction
directly towards Crosspool, about 1.5 miles Google Walking
distance.

Jim wrote:
Failing that, a trip to the local MP surgery may invoke

People keep coming to me because I was one of their local
councillors until a year ago, and because I did Channel 5
retuning work 15 years ago "Jonathan knows TV".

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

jgharston wrote:
Thanks for the advice from everybody, I'm currently waiting
for Digital Help Scheme to get back to me to arrange
an aerial installation.

They got back to me and said he doesn't qualify for an aerial:
"only when signal is not reliable on terrestrial TV channels
(BBC1 – Channel 5) will an engineer consider replacing an aerial"

His social worker has spoken to them saying that yes, the analogue
channels are ok, but all the channels the digital box can find...

Oh, it can find the channels, you don't qualify for an aerial.

No, yes, it can find the channels, but they're all breaking
up into little squares the sound is a continuous suttering.

No, you don't qualify for an aerial.

So, will have to go back to them in September when terrestial
TV channels will be nonexistant and see if the digital signal
is any better.

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article
,
jgharston wrote:
jgharston wrote:
Thanks for the advice from everybody, I'm currently waiting
for Digital Help Scheme to get back to me to arrange
an aerial installation.

They got back to me and said he doesn't qualify for an aerial:
"only when signal is not reliable on terrestrial TV channels
(BBC1 " Channel 5) will an engineer consider replacing an aerial"

His social worker has spoken to them saying that yes, the analogue
channels are ok, but all the channels the digital box can find...

Oh, it can find the channels, you don't qualify for an aerial.

No, yes, it can find the channels, but they're all breaking
up into little squares the sound is a continuous suttering.

No, you don't qualify for an aerial.

So, will have to go back to them in September when terrestial
TV channels will be nonexistant and see if the digital signal
is any better.

Alternatively, the social worker should ask whoever is telling them this to
give the name and contact for their manager or whoever is responsible for
resolving such a failure by the 'Digital Help sic Scheme'. Failing that,
a trip to the local MP surgery may invoke a letter that will awaken the
innocents involved. Alternatively, ask the local CAB to help unblock the
relevant pipe of compentence. The clues here may be in the name of the
'Scheme'...

Slainte,

Jim