Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glue

I need to glue some notices encased in plastic pockets to galvanised
steel sheet. Hopefully so that disgruntled dog walkers are unable to
peel them off.

I have a tin of Evostick. Is there a better alternative?

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 15:48:11 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

I need to glue some notices encased in plastic pockets to galvanised
steel sheet. Hopefully so that disgruntled dog walkers are unable to
peel them off.

I have a tin of Evostick. Is there a better alternative?

Sticks like sh*t or similar MS polymer (like silicone)

--
John Stumbles

I've got nothing against racists - I just wouldn't want my daughter to
marry one

--
John Stumbles

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

Sticks like sh*t or similar MS polymer (like silicone)

What he said...
Defo silicone ( easy to do with minimal tools and mess) but wont they just
beable to take the sheet outta the plastic pockets? Surely encapsulating
them in laminated plastic is better?

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 15:48:11 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

I need to glue some notices encased in plastic pockets to galvanised
steel sheet. Hopefully so that disgruntled dog walkers are unable to
peel them off.

I have a tin of Evostick. Is there a better alternative?

Sticks like sh*t or similar MS polymer (like silicone)

both useless as have very little adherence to polythene.

impact the way to go.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dean Heighington wrote:
John Stumbles wrote:

Sticks like sh*t or similar MS polymer (like silicone)

What he said...
Defo silicone ( easy to do with minimal tools and mess) but wont they just
beable to take the sheet outta the plastic pockets? Surely encapsulating
them in laminated plastic is better?

silicone useless. It peels straight off poly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 15:48:11 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

I need to glue some notices encased in plastic pockets ...

As others have said what is the plastic of the pocket. Do you mean
the heat applied laminated type or the soft flexable things used for
filing stuff in folders?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
-septemb
er.org, Dean Heighington writes
John Stumbles wrote:

Sticks like sh*t or similar MS polymer (like silicone)

What he said...
Defo silicone ( easy to do with minimal tools and mess) but wont they just
beable to take the sheet outta the plastic pockets? Surely encapsulating
them in laminated plastic is better?

Sorry, That's what I meant.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 15:48:11 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

I need to glue some notices encased in plastic pockets ...

As others have said what is the plastic of the pocket. Do you mean
the heat applied laminated type or the soft flexable things used for
filing stuff in folders?

Heat applied laminated stuff.

I suppose cyanoacrylate would do the job but 6 to do A4 size.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
writes
In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 15:48:11 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

I need to glue some notices encased in plastic pockets ...

As others have said what is the plastic of the pocket. Do you mean
the heat applied laminated type or the soft flexable things used for
filing stuff in folders?

Heat applied laminated stuff.

I suppose cyanoacrylate would do the job but 6 to do A4 size.

No use, brittle, not guaranteed for plastic and not good for external
use.

Evilstik used in true contact mode sounds ideal, a v generous layer on
back of notice will transfer to the mating surface on contact without
too much overlap, then separate it immediately, wait for it to go off
then make a proper contact bond.

If anyone defaces a notice then the plastic will likely come off with a
sharpened scraper for easy replacement without the need to remove old
glue (make spares :-).

The modified polymer goop is excellent but takes a while to go off so
could just be peeled off in the mean time.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 11, 3:48*pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
I need to glue some notices encased in plastic pockets to galvanised
steel sheet. Hopefully so that disgruntled dog walkers are unable to
peel them off.

I have a tin of Evostick. Is there a better alternative?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

If it is just lettering, make up a stencil and spray paint your
missive on to the galv.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
I need to glue some notices encased in plastic pockets to galvanised
steel sheet. Hopefully so that disgruntled dog walkers are unable to
peel them off.

How about covering the back of the laminated notice with anti-climb paint?
Secure it with gaffer tape at the top and bottom, leaving the sides untaped.
A vandal will instinctively thrust several fingers behind the laminate sheet
in order to tear it away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
On Jun 11, 3:48*pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
I need to glue some notices encased in plastic pockets to galvanised
steel sheet. Hopefully so that disgruntled dog walkers are unable to
peel them off.

I have a tin of Evostick. Is there a better alternative?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

If it is just lettering, make up a stencil and spray paint your
missive on to the galv.

No. It is a map showing rights of way, farm fields picked out in green
and some polite admonishments about what you and your dog can and cannot
do on land not in public ownership:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 11, 3:48*pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
I need to glue some notices encased in plastic pockets to galvanised
steel sheet. Hopefully so that disgruntled dog walkers are unable to
peel them off.

I have a tin of Evostick. Is there a better alternative?

Evo-stik is good, as is a PU panel sealant like Sikkaflex (if you
have a tube open already)

I screwed mine down though, through wooden battens across the top.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 11, 10:53*pm, "Steve Walker" wrote:

How about covering the back of the laminated notice with anti-climb paint?

Or dog****. There's probably plenty of that available.

I need a notice that says poop-scooping your dog**** is a good start,
but throwing the bags up onto my workshop roof isn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 11, 10:54*pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
harry writes

On Jun 11, 3:48*pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
I need to glue some notices encased in plastic pockets to galvanised
steel sheet. Hopefully so that disgruntled dog walkers are unable to
peel them off.

I have a tin of Evostick. Is there a better alternative?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

If it is just lettering, make up a stencil and spray paint your
missive on to the galv.

No. It is a map showing rights of way, farm fields picked out in green
and some polite admonishments about what you and your dog can and cannot
do on land not in public ownership:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Well, I can't think of a glue that sticks well to polythene. There are
some pretty strong adhesive tapes out there that stick well to smooth
surfaces.
I think if they are bent on vandalising your notice they will scrape
at it even if they couldn't get it off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 12, 12:00*am, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Jun 11, 10:53*pm, "Steve Walker" wrote:

How about covering the back of the laminated notice with anti-climb paint?

Or dog****. *There's probably plenty of that available.

I need a notice that says poop-scooping your dog**** is a good start,
but throwing the bags up onto my workshop roof isn't.

Maybe you could sandwich the notice with a bit of polycarbonate and
plywood & security screw it on.

If it's a notice you've printed yourself, it won't last long in the
sunlight outside. (Fades)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
On Jun 12, 12:00*am, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Jun 11, 10:53*pm, "Steve Walker" wrote:

How about covering the back of the laminated notice with anti-climb paint?

Or dog****. *There's probably plenty of that available.

I need a notice that says poop-scooping your dog**** is a good start,
but throwing the bags up onto my workshop roof isn't.

Maybe you could sandwich the notice with a bit of polycarbonate and
plywood & security screw it on.

Yes. Perhaps wait for the initial response. Apart from the bit about
ball throwers it is fairly non-controversial.

If it's a notice you've printed yourself, it won't last long in the
sunlight outside. (Fades)

Plenty more in the printer:-)

First batch are on glossy photo paper so might last the summer.

UV protective plastic pockets anyone?

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Andy
Dingley writes
On Jun 11, 3:48*pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
I need to glue some notices encased in plastic pockets to galvanised
steel sheet. Hopefully so that disgruntled dog walkers are unable to
peel them off.

I have a tin of Evostick. Is there a better alternative?

Evo-stik is good, as is a PU panel sealant like Sikkaflex (if you
have a tube open already)

Evostick it is.

I screwed mine down though, through wooden battens across the top.

I have a mixture of sites: metal gates and timber and will use Tek
self drilling screws.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
, Andy Ding
ey writes

Evostick it is.

I have a mixture of sites: metal gates and timber and will use Tek self drilling screws.

regards

This thread seems to have engaged the community

I am picturing the gamekeeper from Monarch of the Glen, patrolling the
property with a shotgun... That would work ;-)

Deano
--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
I need to glue some notices encased in plastic pockets to galvanised
steel sheet. Hopefully so that disgruntled dog walkers are unable to peel them off.

I have a tin of Evostick. Is there a better alternative?

In my opinion yes, I've used this in the past to stick plastic pockets to
steel and even to brick:

http://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=66322

It's like epoxy adhesive on a roll and it sticks well to polythene and PVC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
writes
In message
,
harry writes

If it's a notice you've printed yourself, it won't last long in the
sunlight outside. (Fades)

Plenty more in the printer:-)

First batch are on glossy photo paper so might last the summer.

UV protective plastic pockets anyone?

For the next batch a colour laser would do better, sounds like you don't
have one but colour copies from a print shop will do just as well.

A good 6mm clear border round the outside of the sheet will help it
resist aggressive attempts at delamination and makes it more resistant
to the weather. IME laminated paper is more robust than laminated card
(no layers to separate), 250micon sleeves (125+125) work well here with
a good quality laminator.

The notices sound helpful and informative, do keep us posted on comic
events or dramas as the tale unfolds.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

Evostik is usually pretty reliable because the solvent dissolves
plastics enough to bond with them

Sort of, sometimes and perhaps. It's NBG for polythene or for PVC in my
experience. There's not much that works with polythene and glues that
work with PVC tend not to stick to metals.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Steve Firth writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
I need to glue some notices encased in plastic pockets to galvanised
steel sheet. Hopefully so that disgruntled dog walkers are unable to
peel them off.

I have a tin of Evostick. Is there a better alternative?

In my opinion yes, I've used this in the past to stick plastic pockets to
steel and even to brick:

http://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=66322

It's like epoxy adhesive on a roll and it sticks well to polythene and PVC.

That's interesting.

I suppose double sided tape might also work.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , stuart noble
writes
On 12/06/2011 09:55, Steve Firth wrote:
Tim wrote:
I need to glue some notices encased in plastic pockets to galvanised
steel sheet. Hopefully so that disgruntled dog walkers are unable to
peel them off.

I have a tin of Evostick. Is there a better alternative?

In my opinion yes, I've used this in the past to stick plastic pockets to
steel and even to brick:

http://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=66322

It's like epoxy adhesive on a roll and it sticks well to polythene and PVC.

Looks like an interesting product, but no description on the website

Evostik is usually pretty reliable because the solvent dissolves
plastics enough to bond with them

I will coat both surfaces, wait for the glue to harden and then clamp
them together in a bench vice.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2011 14:09, Jim K wrote:
mammoth tape power grip

Got it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 12, 9:41*am, Dean Heighington
wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
, Andy Ding
ey writes
Evostick it is.
I have a mixture of sites: metal gates and *timber *and will use Tek self drilling screws.

regards

This thread seems to have engaged the community

I am picturing the gamekeeper from Monarch of the Glen, patrolling the
property with a shotgun... That would work ;-)

Deano
--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com

Use the traditional English weapon the longbow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

It's like epoxy adhesive on a roll and it sticks well to polythene and PVC.

That's interesting.

Yes, I only found it recently but I've used it several times and find
that it's excellent for metal to metal and metal to plastic.

I suppose double sided tape might also work.

pulls face I've tried it, it wasn't that good as a solution.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
harry writes
On Jun 11, 3:48 pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
I need to glue some notices encased in plastic pockets to galvanised
steel sheet. Hopefully so that disgruntled dog walkers are unable to
peel them off.

I have a tin of Evostick. Is there a better alternative?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

If it is just lettering, make up a stencil and spray paint your
missive on to the galv.

No. It is a map showing rights of way, farm fields picked out in green
and some polite admonishments about what you and your dog can and cannot
do on land not in public ownership:-)

Use this :
http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/ne...-214754786.jpg
and "Ee wuz wurryin moy sheep"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
harry writes
On Jun 11, 3:48 pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
I need to glue some notices encased in plastic pockets to galvanised
steel sheet. Hopefully so that disgruntled dog walkers are unable to
peel them off.

I have a tin of Evostick. Is there a better alternative?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

If it is just lettering, make up a stencil and spray paint your
missive on to the galv.

No. It is a map showing rights of way, farm fields picked out in green
and some polite admonishments about what you and your dog can and cannot
do on land not in public ownership:-)

Use this :
http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/ne...image-1-for-ga
llery-viz-comic-celebrates-30th-birthday-214754786.jpg
and "Ee wuz wurryin moy sheep"

Very few farmers have a gun to hand for these occasions.

This is urban fringe farming so amenity access is an expected part of
life. Serious *sheep worrying* where loose dogs get together and set
about a flock, is very rare. More likely is the *off lead* miniature
Terrier who chases after a flock because they bunch and run away. The
owner usually making frantic efforts to retrieve their pet.

Fencing is more likely to work than polite notices but should not be
necessary.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Steve Walker
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
harry writes
[...]

Er.. that was me.

Little bugger herded em into a corer and sat there looking pleased with
himself.

Didnt actually do anything...

Fencing is more likely to work than polite notices but should not be
necessary.

But it needs to be small dog proof which essentially means netting.

regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Use this :
http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/ne...image-1-for-ga
llery-viz-comic-celebrates-30th-birthday-214754786.jpg
and "Ee wuz wurryin moy sheep"

Very few farmers have a gun to hand for these occasions.
This is urban fringe farming so amenity access is an expected part
of life. Serious *sheep worrying* where loose dogs get together and
set about a flock, is very rare. More likely is the *off lead*
miniature Terrier who chases after a flock because they bunch and run
away. The owner usually making frantic efforts to retrieve their pet.

Er.. that was me.

Little bugger herded em into a corer and sat there looking pleased with
himself.

Didnt actually do anything...

Umm... Depends on whether they were heavily pregnant at the time. Sheep
will stand a fair bit of running around but there are occasional
abortion losses.

The law (protection of livestock Act. 1953) makes it an offence to have
a dog *at large* in a field with sheep. At large is not defined but is
generally taken to mean on a lead or well trained and walking at heel.
More could be done to warn strangers of the presence of grazing
livestock but there is currently no actual requirement.

Fencing is more likely to work than polite notices but should not be
necessary.

But it needs to be small dog proof which essentially means netting.

Yes. I use stock fence topped with two strands of barbed wire. Problems
arise when the route is open to horses as we are discouraged from having
barbed wire on both sides. Also *cross field* paths where fencing would
create awkward/unwatered fields.

Most visitors act responsibly but invariably see themselves and their
pet as individuals causing little harm. To the landowner they are one of
a group which may total over 100 visits/day.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 08:50:06 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

This is urban fringe farming so amenity access is an expected part

of
life. Serious *sheep worrying* where loose dogs get together and

set
about a flock, is very rare. More likely is the *off lead*

miniature
Terrier who chases after a flock because they bunch and run away.

The
owner usually making frantic efforts to retrieve their pet.

Er.. that was me.

Little bugger herded em into a corer and sat there looking pleased with
himself.

And if I'd be the owner of the sheep I'd have shot (warning first)
and asked questions later, particulary if there where any lambs about
(inside or outside the ewes).

Fencing is more likely to work than polite notices but should not

be
necessary.

But it needs to be small dog proof which essentially means netting.

Dogs need to kept on leads when near stock full stop.

Farm land is work place not a park. Stock is someones lively hood.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 08:50:06 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

This is urban fringe farming so amenity access is an expected part

of
life. Serious *sheep worrying* where loose dogs get together and

set
about a flock, is very rare. More likely is the *off lead*

miniature
Terrier who chases after a flock because they bunch and run away.

The
owner usually making frantic efforts to retrieve their pet.

Er.. that was me.

Little bugger herded em into a corer and sat there looking pleased with
himself.

And if I'd be the owner of the sheep I'd have shot (warning first)
and asked questions later, particulary if there where any lambs about
(inside or outside the ewes).

nope. there were not. In fact that field is rarely used for sheep - its
more used for hay and horse grazing. I have never seen sheep there
before or since.

Fencing is more likely to work than polite notices but should not

be
necessary.

But it needs to be small dog proof which essentially means netting.

Dogs need to kept on leads when near stock full stop.

Indeed. BUT here in suffolk there is bugger all stock bar horses to
speak of, or I would have.

Farm land is work place not a park. Stock is someones lively hood.

Indeed. I was very very worried. Normally we are extra careful round the
race horses..simply don't go there.

Fortunately I managed to corral him before he did any harm, and cart him
off under me arm.

Mostly he prefers to rush along hedges and across arable fields flushing
out rabbits. He catches the ones with myxy and kills those. The rest are
simply too fast.