Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Converting a toilet to be internal overflow

Hi, had some building work done, and the existing bathroom toilet overflow
is now inside a new part of the house! I notice in B&Q most new toilets
have internal overflows. I am planning on getting the bathroom redone
eventually, but need a mean-time fix. Is it possible to convert an
existing toilet cistern to internal overflow?

Thanks!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MarkG" wrote in message
newsp.vwtnt5wf6ty74g@desktop64...
Hi, had some building work done, and the existing bathroom toilet overflow
is now inside a new part of the house! I notice in B&Q most new toilets
have internal overflows. I am planning on getting the bathroom redone
eventually, but need a mean-time fix. Is it possible to convert an
existing toilet cistern to internal overflow?

yup, just replace the syphon for one of the dual flush or flap type valves,
most have internal overflows as standard,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message op.vwtnt5wf6ty74g@desktop64, MarkG
writes
Hi, had some building work done, and the existing bathroom toilet
overflow is now inside a new part of the house! I notice in B&Q most
new toilets have internal overflows. I am planning on getting the
bathroom redone eventually, but need a mean-time fix. Is it possible
to convert an existing toilet cistern to internal overflow?

Thanks!

Yes - by replacing it (as IBM used to say)
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 19:47:55 +0100, MarkG wrote:

Hi, had some building work done, and the existing bathroom toilet
overflow is now inside a new part of the house! I notice in B&Q most
new toilets have internal overflows. I am planning on getting the
bathroom redone eventually, but need a mean-time fix. Is it possible to
convert an existing toilet cistern to internal overflow?

Thanks!

Ooops, forgot to include a pic of the existing cistern!!
http://i53.tinypic.com/21eq3bl.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MarkG" wrote in message
newsp.vwton3f46ty74g@desktop64...
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 19:47:55 +0100, MarkG wrote:

Hi, had some building work done, and the existing bathroom toilet
overflow is now inside a new part of the house! I notice in B&Q most
new toilets have internal overflows. I am planning on getting the
bathroom redone eventually, but need a mean-time fix. Is it possible to
convert an existing toilet cistern to internal overflow?

Thanks!

Ooops, forgot to include a pic of the existing cistern!!
http://i53.tinypic.com/21eq3bl.jpg

Get a dual flush kit. I bought one for £12.50 the other week. You will
also need a blanking plug for the existing overflow. Never seen one on sale
but I've never been looking for one.
I was surprised at how easy it was to fit.
Turn off water and then flush.
Undo the two screws securing it to wall.
Undo two wingnuts securing it to pan.
Undo flexible connector from supply.
Lift cistern from pan and empty remaining water.
Remove rubber doughnut from under cistern.
Remove big nut securing syphon. Remove nut on back of flush handle.
Replace with new kit - take special note of which rubber washer goes where.
(you might want to add a little smear of silicone grease)
Replace doughnut (with silicone grease)
Refit cistern. Don't overtighten screws in the back!!!)

Jobs a good one.

Lawrence

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have seen a piece of ordinary copper pipe fitted from the overflow
outlet down to the rim of the bowl. The end was flattened and just fitted
under the seat. Not pretty. Possibly not effective (i.e. might not manage
a full flow problem) but worked for 'ordinary' not quite cutting off
issues.

Rod

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 19:47:55 +0100, MarkG wrote:

Hi, had some building work done, and the existing bathroom toilet
overflow is now inside a new part of the house! I notice in B&Q most
new toilets have internal overflows. I am planning on getting the
bathroom redone eventually, but need a mean-time fix. Is it possible to
convert an existing toilet cistern to internal overflow?

Thanks!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:

I have seen a piece of ordinary copper pipe fitted from the overflow
outlet down to the rim of the bowl. The end was flattened and just fitted
under the seat. Not pretty. Possibly not effective (i.e. might not manage
a full flow problem) but worked for 'ordinary' not quite cutting off
issues.

Rod

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 19:47:55 +0100, MarkG wrote:

Hi, had some building work done, and the existing bathroom toilet
overflow is now inside a new part of the house! I notice in B&Q most
new toilets have internal overflows. I am planning on getting the
bathroom redone eventually, but need a mean-time fix. Is it possible to
convert an existing toilet cistern to internal overflow?

Thanks!

I saw one the other day where the overflow was taken down the cistern
outside, then underneath and bossed into the side of the plastic main pipe.

But as others had said, the easiest answer is to change the flush mechanism
to one with an inbuilt overflow.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I saw one the other day where the overflow was taken down the cistern
outside, then underneath and bossed into the side of the plastic main pipe.

But as others had said, the easiest answer is to change the flush mechanism
to one with an inbuilt overflow.

--
Tim Watts

I once saw a couple of similar ones - using hose pipes. It made me wonder
how much water was being wasted as I guess there must have been a problem in
the first place. Amazing how fixing a ball valve seems to be rocket science
to some people and they would prefer to climb a ladder and do a bodge with a
pipe. I liked the concept of the "Warning Pipe"

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AJR AJR is offline

replying to Tim Watts, AJR wrote:
ours is constructed like this and the result is a smell of drains coming up
through the overflow pipe and into the bathroom. would have thought an
internal overflow system is better!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ow-710705-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to AJR, rde42 wrote:
Why are you replying to a post that's over seven years old?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ow-710705-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2018 21:44, rde42 wrote:
replying to AJR, rde42 wrote:
Why are you replying to a post that's over seven years old?

I was under the impression that an overflow water flow had to be visible
and not hidden by connecting the overflow pipe to the soil stack as
apparently this this homeuserhub user has done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to AJR, rde42 wrote:
Why are you replying to a post that's over seven years old?

I was under the impression that an overflow water flow had to be visible

That was at one time a requirement, but ISTR the rules were changed.
Hence internal overflow into the pan is now common.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to AJR, rde42 wrote:
Why are you replying to a post that's over seven years old?

I was under the impression that an overflow water flow had to be
visible

That was at one time a requirement, but ISTR the rules were changed.
Hence internal overflow into the pan is now common.

but, into the pan is visible or at least audible

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to AJR, rde42 wrote:
Why are you replying to a post that's over seven years old?

I was under the impression that an overflow water flow had to be visible

That was at one time a requirement, but ISTR the rules were changed. Hence
internal overflow into the pan is now common.

facing a high level cystern overflow down into the pan stopped people using
the cludgy and brought on a repair ..... ah the good old days...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to AJR, rde42 wrote:
Why are you replying to a post that's over seven years old?

I was under the impression that an overflow water flow had to be visible

That was at one time a requirement, but ISTR the rules were changed.
Hence internal overflow into the pan is now common.

facing a high level cystern overflow down into the pan stopped people
using the cludgy and brought on a repair ..... ah the good old days...

....when things made sense .....

WC internal overflow syphons JonMcD UK diy 14 April 14th 11 06:47 PM
Internal cistern overflow to drain Tim S UK diy 22 May 31st 09 09:43 PM
Toilet Overflow ? the_constructor UK diy 4 March 29th 07 01:43 PM
W.C Internal Overflow hays UK diy 5 October 11th 03 10:11 PM
toilet cistern overflow Douglas Sey UK diy 5 October 10th 03 03:44 PM