Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default sources sought for wire tension support systems

Hi All
I have a little project in mind - making some small wooden shelves for
part of the kitchen. One side of these will have to be 'suspended', and I am
wondering about using some form of wire tensioning system to support them.

I've googled a bit and come across:

http://www.tecni-cable.co.uk/

which looks promising - but are there any other places I would benefit from
checking out as well, as a beginner to this stuff who only wants a small
amount of the wire and fittings etc.? I know they are used for lighting
systems, for a start.

The shelves will only be about 400mm long by 150mm wide. They will be
suspended in an alcove and I would guess tensioned wire of 2-3mm would be
plenty, if I can get the arrangement right.

Thanks for any pointers

jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 6, 9:22*pm, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All
* * I have a little project in mind - making some small wooden shelves for
part of the kitchen. One side of these will have to be 'suspended', and I am
wondering about using some form of wire tensioning system to support them..

I've googled a bit and come across:

* *http://www.tecni-cable.co.uk/

which looks promising - but are there any other places I would benefit from
checking out as well, as a beginner to this stuff who only wants a small
amount of the wire and fittings etc.? I know they are used for lighting
systems, for a start.

and in the sign industry

http://cart.ispitradestore.com/index...=198&parent=16

Cheers
Adam

The shelves will only be about 400mm long by 150mm wide. They will be
suspended in an alcove and I would guess tensioned wire of 2-3mm would be
plenty, if I can get the arrangement right.

Thanks for any pointers

* * * * jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Fishing shops? Stainless steel wire which is plastic coated. It's what
I used to suspend some stained glass in front of a window. I used wire
that was under 1mm thick and had a breakibng strain of 28lbs. I think
you can get much tougher stuff for shark fishing.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Suspended cielings are suspended on wire systems. They have little
hooks and eyes and wire etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2011 21:22, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All
I have a little project in mind - making some small wooden shelves for
part of the kitchen. One side of these will have to be 'suspended', and I am
wondering about using some form of wire tensioning system to support them.

I've googled a bit and come across:

http://www.tecni-cable.co.uk/

which looks promising - but are there any other places I would benefit from
checking out as well, as a beginner to this stuff who only wants a small
amount of the wire and fittings etc.? I know they are used for lighting
systems, for a start.

The shelves will only be about 400mm long by 150mm wide. They will be
suspended in an alcove and I would guess tensioned wire of 2-3mm would be
plenty, if I can get the arrangement right.

I've got fairly heavy bookshelves suspended on what is probably 4mm
stranded wire rope, joined with three wire rope grips on each wire to
make the loop. (Suspended from 8mm eye bolts). Local DIY shop has this
stuff in stock. (used three for paranoia - don't trust one, and the
third gives me a spare).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Either toolstation or screwfix has wire hanging anchors. If it were in
a workshop you could just use 2mm iron wire, not for a kitchen though

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Night Tripper wrote:

[snip]

The shelves will only be about 400mm long by 150mm wide. They will be
suspended in an alcove and I would guess tensioned wire of 2-3mm would be
plenty, if I can get the arrangement right.

Plenty overkill. I've only got 6mm holding up the mast on my boat and
there are tonnes involved in the forces acting on that... well, when the
sails are up and the wind's blowing... Just avoid sharp corners/bends
and pinching it too tight in your clamps.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.