Fred

Default *****Installing Tension Wire - Fence*****

I have an 8 or 9 foot chain link fence between a parking lot and a
tennis court. There was no tension wire installed at the bottom and I
think kids are pulling the fence up and going underneath. If the fence
was installed over grass the grass would eventually grab the fence but
it is installed over asphalt. The fence is now out of shape at the
bottom. I'm going to install a tension wire at the bottom and attach
the chain link fence to it. I'll wrap it around the first post and run
it down the fence. When I get to the last post how do I get it tight
and then wrap it around the last post? We are talking about 80 to 100
foot.

Go to a fence place and ask them, they probably have a tool or
technique for that kind of fence. Years ago I worked installing
electric fence, they require lots of tension across acres of land. We
used special round fittings that sat on the wire with which you could
attach a handle too, to twist it to the correct tension and lock it in
place.

Duane Bozarth

Fred wrote:

I have an 8 or 9 foot chain link fence between a parking lot and a
tennis court. There was no tension wire installed at the bottom and I
think kids are pulling the fence up and going underneath. If the fence
was installed over grass the grass would eventually grab the fence but
it is installed over asphalt. The fence is now out of shape at the
bottom. I'm going to install a tension wire at the bottom and attach
the chain link fence to it. I'll wrap it around the first post and run
it down the fence. When I get to the last post how do I get it tight
and then wrap it around the last post? We are talking about 80 to 100
foot.

Get a Maasdam gripper clamp and attach it to your comealong to make an
homemade wirepuller is the easiest way. If you're pulling a #10 or
heavier wire as I suppose you will be, you'll need that rather than
simply a pair of fencing pliers to get enough tension to do any good.
You'll also need a good pair of pliers to handle the wire to tie it off.

Hook the comealong around the second post, grap the wire and pull hand
tight, then w/ the clamp a couple feet away then tighten adequately.
Use the fencing pliers around the post to gain the tension around the
second post.

You could buy one of the little end fittings the commercial fencing
outfits use that clamp around the post but wrapping around it will work
just fine, same way we do barb wire. If you want fancy, get a long
double-eye-bolt and you could then retension later if needed.

http://www.maasdam.com/

The "Power Pull" is the best (bar none) wire stretcher design there is
imo. A good farm supply should have them and spare clamps, etc., which
are cheaper than the full puller if you have a comealong already.

W/O something similar, you're force to jury rig some other technique
which is doable but a pita....

Grounding Rodney Kelp Electronics Repair 43 December 6th 04 01:39 AM
My Air Conditioner -- I don't think I goofed up.... Clay Harryman Home Repair 4 July 3rd 04 05:52 AM
automotive wire size calculator CampinGazz Electronics 1 January 5th 04 07:02 PM
240 volt wiring Charles Home Repair 11 December 30th 03 11:13 PM
replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles David Jensen Home Repair 27 August 26th 03 12:14 AM