Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default copper nails

Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root of
one of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me from
opening my back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack off
the top of the root, until I can kill the tree.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 3, 9:31*pm, Dave wrote:
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root of
one of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me from
opening my back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack off
the top of the root, until I can kill the tree.

Dave

The copper nail thing is worthless if you want to kill the tree root.
Hack off the bark and apply Roundup undiluted.

You will need to cut the root even if it is dead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root of one
of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me from opening my
back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack off
the top of the root,

All together now, what's our favourite tool?

A.....

Alternatively, a mattock is really useful, very good for this job, and not
expensive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Most builders merchants, they are used for roofing.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 3, 9:31*pm, Dave wrote:
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root of
one of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me from
opening my back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack off
the top of the root, until I can kill the tree.

Dave

Its almost immoral to hire hand tools, theyre not expensive and any
type of axe would do fine. A drill would also do it, chisel, all sorts
of options.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 23:20:18 +0100, "newshound"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root of one
of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me from opening my
back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack off
the top of the root,

All together now, what's our favourite tool?

Spokeshave?
Bevel-edge chisel?
Trying plane?
Burgess engraver?
Bradawl?
Lignum vitae bossing mallet?
Clinometer?
Spring dividers?
Wad punch?
Boxwood dresser?
3 Square ******* file?
Pincers?
Soldering iron?
Combination plane?
Tweezers?
Sweeps' rods?
Saw set?
Hellerman pliers (aka fanny stretchers)?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root
of one of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me
from opening my back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack
off the top of the root,

All together now, what's our favourite tool?

Wanking spanners.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Don't forget the ubiquitous 'chopper'. AKA a well sharpened hatchet that
resolves a multitude of little irritations ;-) if well balanced and
correctly sharpened - and you know how (and when) to actually use it!

When of good quality, a tool useful for professionals and 'handymen' alike.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 21:31:14 +0100, Dave
wrote:

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack off
the top of the root, until I can kill the tree.

Use an SDS drill fitted with a chisel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root of one
of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me from opening my
back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack off
the top of the root, until I can kill the tree.

Just remember that you could end up being charged with criminal damage. if
you do kill the tree. You are entitled to cut the root back to your boundary
assuming it does not have a preservation order on it but you have to give
the wood back to the owner. It might sound obvious but have you asked your
neighbour to remove the offending part of the tree?

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root of
one of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me from
opening my back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack off
the top of the root,

All together now, what's our favourite tool?

A.....

Alternatively, a mattock is really useful, very good for this job, and not
expensive

Another vote for a mattock - one of the best garden tools I have ever
bought.
I've just been using it to remove tree stumps and it is very good for
chopping up tree roots.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter
Crosland writes
"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root of one
of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me from opening my
back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack off
the top of the root, until I can kill the tree.

Just remember that you could end up being charged with criminal damage. if
you do kill the tree. You are entitled to cut the root back to your boundary
assuming it does not have a preservation order on it but you have to give
the wood back to the owner. It might sound obvious but have you asked your
neighbour to remove the offending part of the tree?

Criminal damage to a stump?
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root of one
of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me from opening my
back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack off
the top of the root,

All together now, what's our favourite tool?

Not the angle grinder for this one... Isn't there a Darwin award for
someone who tried to cut a tree down with one?

Hellerman pliers (aka fanny stretchers)?

Er, we used to call these "honeymoon pliers"

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 08:03:23 +0100, Peter Crosland
wrote:
you have to give the wood back to the owner.

AIUI you have to *offer* the wood to the owner of the tree, which is not
quite the same thing. Whenever I've asked a neighbour if they want to
have the overhanging branch I've cut off, they've always said no!

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

All together now, what's our favourite tool?

Wanking spanners.

The engine on my digger is a genuine Hang Dong. I don't like to stand
too close to it while it is operating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack off
the top of the root, until I can kill the tree.

Use an SDS drill fitted with a chisel.

a computer connected to UK.D-i-y
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Peter
Crosland writes
"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root of
one
of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me from opening
my
back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack off
the top of the root, until I can kill the tree.

Just remember that you could end up being charged with criminal damage. if
you do kill the tree. You are entitled to cut the root back to your
boundary
assuming it does not have a preservation order on it but you have to give
the wood back to the owner. It might sound obvious but have you asked your
neighbour to remove the offending part of the tree?

Criminal damage to a stump?

Very much so. Even though it may appear trivial in a way it is nevertheless
criminal damage. People have been convicted for less in the past.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter
Crosland writes
"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Peter
Crosland writes
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Go on Peter, admit it, you missed the bit where the o/p said the tree
had been felled ;-)
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , fred writes
In article , Peter
Crosland writes
"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Peter
Crosland writes
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Withdrawn with apologies, _I_ misread the o/p's original on intending to
kill off the stump.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2011 23:22, MuddyMike wrote:
wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Most builders merchants, they are used for roofing.

I could only buy aluminium roofing nails last time I looked.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , fred writes
In article , Peter
Crosland writes
"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Peter
Crosland writes
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

No problem. I was wrong when I said that you have to give the bits to the
tree owner as has been npointed out.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2011 21:42, harry wrote:
On Jun 3, 9:31 pm, wrote:
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root of
one of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me from
opening my back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack off
the top of the root, until I can kill the tree.

Dave

The copper nail thing is worthless if you want to kill the tree root.
Hack off the bark and apply Roundup undiluted.

You will need to cut the root even if it is dead.

Many thanks for that. It's the way I am going to go.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2011 23:20, newshound wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root of
one of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me from
opening my back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack
off the top of the root,

All together now, what's our favourite tool?

A.....

Alternatively, a mattock is really useful, very good for this job, and
not expensive

Thanks, I'll take a look on our second hand market for one.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Most builders merchants, they are used for roofing.

Thanks.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root of
one
of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me from opening
my
back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack
off
the top of the root,

All together now, what's our favourite tool?

Not the angle grinder for this one... Isn't there a Darwin award for
someone who tried to cut a tree down with one?

I didn't mean with a grinding disk; a coarse sanding disk gets through green
wood pretty fast, and one of those "chainsaw disks" is even faster.

Actually the other thing that's very good for removing roots when
accessibility is limited (e.g. around drains) is a wide wood chisel bit in
an SDS drill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2011 12:25, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:

I could only buy aluminium roofing nails last time I looked.

Then try a boat builder. You'll want one who deals with classic boats
mind, not the modern plastic things.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 3, 9:31 pm, *wrote:
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root of
one of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me from
opening my back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack off
the top of the root, until I can kill the tree.

Dave

Its almost immoral to hire hand tools, theyre not expensive and any
type of axe would do fine. A drill would also do it, chisel, all sorts
of options.

*From other comments, an axe might be a cheap alternative to a one off
problem.

Dave

Use SBK to kill the root. Roundup is really only effective on growing
vegetation. Not worth a curse on ground ivy or brambles both of which
seem to thrive on it.

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 3, 9:31 pm, *wrote:
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root of
one of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me from
opening my back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack off
the top of the root, until I can kill the tree.

Dave

Its almost immoral to hire hand tools, theyre not expensive and any
type of axe would do fine. A drill would also do it, chisel, all sorts
of options.

*From other comments, an axe might be a cheap alternative to a one off
problem.

Dave

If its really a one off, you dont even need an axe. Do you lack any
tools?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 3, 11:20*pm, "newshound" wrote:

All together now, what's our favourite tool?

The angle grinder you use to sharpen your mattock edge with!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 3, 9:31 pm, wrote:
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root of
one of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me from
opening my back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack off
the top of the root, until I can kill the tree.

Dave

Its almost immoral to hire hand tools, theyre not expensive and any
type of axe would do fine. A drill would also do it, chisel, all sorts
of options.

From other comments, an axe might be a cheap alternative to a one off
problem.

Dave

If its really a one off, you dont even need an axe. Do you lack any
tools?

No, I have all the usual DIY tools. Drills (twist) of all types,
routers, planers, saws of all types etc.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 3, 9:31 pm, wrote:
Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root of
one of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me from
opening my back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack off
the top of the root, until I can kill the tree.

Dave

Its almost immoral to hire hand tools, theyre not expensive and any
type of axe would do fine. A drill would also do it, chisel, all sorts
of options.

From other comments, an axe might be a cheap alternative to a one off
problem.

Dave

Use SBK to kill the root. Roundup is really only effective on growing
vegetation.

Not true in my experience. After cutting down the kind of tree that
will otherwise happily resprout, I drill holes into the stump (near the
bark) and inject glyphosate - it does the trick.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Gib Bogle
saying something like:

After cutting down the kind of tree that
will otherwise happily resprout, I drill holes into the stump (near the
bark) and inject glyphosate - it does the trick.

I've successfully used a handful of neat fertiliser granules down a
series of 1"x5" holes in a stump to kill it.

copper nails for roofing? George \(dicegeorge\) UK diy 9 July 29th 08 07:01 PM
Copper Nails brian[_2_] Home Repair 26 September 4th 07 04:29 PM
Fernco/Mission couplers for copper to copper? Dan Lanciani Home Repair 1 January 28th 07 11:26 PM
Fernco/Mission couplers for copper to copper? Dan Lanciani Home Ownership 1 January 28th 07 11:26 PM