Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glue for glasses

SWMBO's reading specs have broken, the frame adjacent to the bridge has
fractured. Even in the event she gets round to ordering them this week,
it'll take at least a fortnight for new ones to arrive from the Far East
via an online optician (for strong prescriptions it's hundreds cheaper
than the local bricks-and-mortar optician charges and a far better range).

As it's one of those metal framed specs which tensions the frame to hold
the lens in place, there isn't a hope that gaffer tape will work :-)
In my experience, cyanoacrylate is too brittle and domestic epoxy too
weakly adhesive for the small contact area involved. But as I seem to
have simultaneously run out of epoxy (lost the resin tube), cyanoacrylate
(gone solid) and anything useful except grab adhesive/filler, it's a great
chance to try something new.

What would the team suggest that is cheap, readily available, useful for
other purposes too, and can hold the lens in place in the broken frame
for a couple of weeks against the flexing of a normally abused pair of
glasses ?

Thanks in hope

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Leverton wrote:
SWMBO's reading specs have broken, the frame adjacent to the bridge
has fractured. Even in the event she gets round to ordering them
this week, it'll take at least a fortnight for new ones to arrive
from the Far East via an online optician (for strong prescriptions
it's hundreds cheaper than the local bricks-and-mortar optician
charges and a far better range).

As it's one of those metal framed specs which tensions the frame to
hold the lens in place, there isn't a hope that gaffer tape will work
:-)
In my experience, cyanoacrylate is too brittle and domestic epoxy too
weakly adhesive for the small contact area involved. But as I seem to
have simultaneously run out of epoxy (lost the resin tube),
cyanoacrylate (gone solid) and anything useful except grab
adhesive/filler, it's a great chance to try something new.

What would the team suggest that is cheap, readily available, useful
for other purposes too, and can hold the lens in place in the broken
frame for a couple of weeks against the flexing of a normally abused
pair of glasses ?

Thanks in hope

Nick

Nick,

I had a similar problem a couple of years back and tried all sorts of
glues - to no permanent success.

The frames I wear are the normal run-of-the-mill wire ones that surround the
glass and I managed to get an intermittent resolution by using Araldite
epoxy (the old-fashioned, long setting stuff rather than the quick-set) and
which I had to replace about every couple of days - until I got totally
fed-up and glued the glass and frame together. This lasted until my new
pair turned up from the opticians (with some rather unusually delicate
handling by me - and the intermittent use of an older pair of glasses with
far weaker lenses [I'm rather myopic]).

I have a very good relationship with my local opticians (not one of the well
advertised chains), and the technician there could not offer any temporary
solution for the problem - other than to buy a smaller, cheap frame and get
my existing lenses (glass varifocals) cut to suit -- with absolutely no
guarantee that the varifocal settings would be retained in the same place to
suit my retinal measurements.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 2, 10:33 am, Nick Leverton wrote:
[...]

I think you need some reinforcing in whatever glue you use. I use fine
steel wire, which may be obtained from twisty ties. Copper wire is not
strong enough.
Perhaps you could drill holes in the frame and thread the wire
through. Or file a slot for the wire.
I use epoxy and put the job in a warm place for a few hors. A box with
a light bulb in it is excellent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote:
Nick Leverton wrote:
[...]

To add to my response, I built the araldite up in a couple of layers
(letting each layer dry) to try and increase and reinforce the glue area so
that the frame wouldn't fall apart as soon as I moved them - which is what
happened when I tried different types of cyanoacrylates .

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nick Leverton
writes
SWMBO's reading specs have broken, the frame adjacent to the bridge has
fractured. Even in the event she gets round to ordering them this week,
it'll take at least a fortnight for new ones to arrive from the Far East
via an online optician (for strong prescriptions it's hundreds cheaper
than the local bricks-and-mortar optician charges and a far better range).

I've never found anything that actually works

How far are you from Watford

I presume that they are simple prescription reading glasses

The last pair of glasses I got for the wife took half an hour and I paid
£20 for them, they had the lenses in stock, You might not get quite that
service, but ...

cheap and quick

http://www.glassesonspec.co.uk/

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message , Nick Leverton
writes
SWMBO's reading specs have broken, the frame adjacent to the bridge has
fractured. Even in the event she gets round to ordering them this week,
it'll take at least a fortnight for new ones to arrive from the Far East
via an online optician (for strong prescriptions it's hundreds cheaper
than the local bricks-and-mortar optician charges and a far better range).

I've never found anything that actually works

How far are you from Watford

I presume that they are simple prescription reading glasses

The last pair of glasses I got for the wife took half an hour and I
paid £20 for them, they had the lenses in stock, You might not get
quite that service, but ...

cheap and quick

http://www.glassesonspec.co.uk/

Or type "fairplay optical watford" into google

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2011 23:33, Nick Leverton wrote:
[...]

In a similar situation I used cyanoacrylate. I glued the frame to the
lenses - gluing the frame to itself didn't stand a chance. Didn't last
that long, but I managed for a few weeks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2011 23:33, Nick Leverton wrote:
SWMBO's reading specs have broken....

What would the team suggest that is cheap, readily available, useful for
other purposes too, and can hold the lens in place in the broken frame
for a couple of weeks against the flexing of a normally abused pair of
glasses ?

There must be a variant of (silver?) soldering that would do the trick?
You could try posting in one of the model making groups.

On a slightly related topic, cotton thread works well if you lose the
crews when you are miles from home.

--
Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 1, 11:33*pm, Nick Leverton wrote:
[...]

I'm having visions of a cardboard frame with the lenses sellotaped to
them I'd be tempted to solder or epoxy some steel wire for as far
as possible either side of the break.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Leverton wrote:
[...]

I use online supplier glasses4eyes and they usually have a 2 day turn
round. They do have a surcharge for strong prescriptions that my wife
needs. Mine & my sons cost £20, hers are £36
Very good company

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick Leverton" wrote in message
[...]

I dunno the answer but can thoroughly recommend directspecs, you'd have 'em
in 2 days for £20 or so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message on Thu, 02 Jun 2011 01:18:34 +
0100
Tim wrote:

On 01/06/2011 23:33, Nick Leverton wrote:
SWMBO's reading specs have broken....

What would the team suggest that is cheap, readily available, useful for
other purposes too, and can hold the lens in place in the broken frame
for a couple of weeks against the flexing of a normally abused pair of
glasses ?

There must be a variant of (silver?) soldering that would do the trick?
You could try posting in one of the model making groups.

On a slightly related topic, cotton thread works well if you lose the
crews when you are miles from home.

So does a paper clip or safety pin. Failing that, there's bound to be some
paper or a magazine, possibly, stapled together - use the staple. Or a bit of
that twist wrap stuff that used to be made of paper, I think, but now plastic
with a wire running through it - salvage the wire.

Much easier to use than trying to thread a bit of cotton through small holes
you can't see (because you're not wearing your glasses!) and much longer
lasting.

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry Casey wrote:

Much easier to use than trying to thread a bit of cotton through small holes
you can't see (because you're not wearing your glasses!)

Depends, my close sight is *much* better without the goggles.

I had to do some running repairs on my rimless glasses over the weekend,
the bridge and arms have pairs of 0.5mm pins that fit into holes drilled
in the lenses, with a plastic "gasket" that pushes in from the other
side to hold them in place ... one of which dropped off ... I cut two
strips of 2mm by 20mm strip from thick aluminium foil, rolled it into a
tight spiral and plugged the holes, then wedged the pins in, held quite
nicely until Tuesday when I popped into the optician for the another
free repair (you don't get that with mail-order!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
[...]

Any self-respecting temporary bodge should include cable ties!

Good luck.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 3, 10:19 am, "Simon Stroud"
wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

[...]

I believe that cable ties are just plastic with no reinforcing.
Twist or twisty ties are plastic with steel wire in the middle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F writes:

I use epoxy and put the job in a warm place for a few hors. A box with
a light bulb in it is excellent.

Or (depending on materials) you can set a combi oven (or normal one) to
100C to preheat, then turn it off and put in the item being epoxied in
oredr to get a fast, strong set.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ O n e t e l
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 00:28:08 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , geoff
writes
In message , Nick Leverton
writes
[...]