David Combs

Default eye-glasses sports-band (elastic, around head): glue? heat?

So that my glasses don't fall off, I attach one of
these sports-bands (I think that's what they're called).

Problem is, the attachment to the arms of the glasses
isn't so secure, and comes loose, glasses fall off or
get knocked off, and get damaged.

So, how do they attach?

[Sorry for my evident inability to better describe
the apparatus (way too fancy a word for it); probably
the only ones who'll be able to visualize the thing
will be those who themselves use these things!]

Each end of the (adjustable=length) elastic-band has a
plastic loop, through which you insert the end of
the "arms" (the part that goes over the ears).

At the band-end of each plastic-loop is a tightly-wrapped
metal-band, which you can slide up towards the fatter part
of the loop, ie the part you inserted the "arm"-end through.

Which tightens the loop around the arm, so it won't slide
off.

Problem is, that thing you slid forward doesn't always
*stay* forward, but slides back a bit, sometimes, letting
the loop get bigger again, letting it come off the arm,
freeing the glasses to fall off.

------

I've tried dripping glue on the boundary between the
plastic loop and the metal thing.

I've tried both instant-glue ("crazy"? glue), and
Duco Cement. Neither works very well.

I was thinking maybe a soldering-gun could melt the
plastic? Maybe a candle? Maybe wrap some wire around
the plastic, just "behind" the slid-slider. Or maybe
some other kind of glue?

One problem with applying the glue is that the
directions always say to apply it first to both
surfaces, separately, then let it sit for maybe
a minute, and only THEN, pressing them together.

Not so easy with this thing -- I mean, just what
do you glue separately, when one of the two
surfaces are the *inside* of the metal slider-thing,
which you can't get at (the inside is pressing
against the plastic it is going to slide along).

All I need to do is put *something* at the back end
of the slid-slider, so it can't slide back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

David

David Martel

David,

Being nearsighted myself, I know exactly what you are referring to. I've
never had the slippage problem that you are experiencing but there are lot's
of sticky agents that may work. You may have to try a few before you find
one that works. Here are a couple of things to try. Belt dressing from the
auto parts store. I think this comes in spray on versions. Bow rosin from
the music store. This does come as a spray. Glue Stix are available in most
stationary stores.
I prefer wearing heavy, horn rimmed, safety glasses in sports.

Good luck,
Dave M.

SQLit

[...]

The ones I have for my glasses use salvia on the ends. Put the ends on the
glasses and let dry. They hold really well and will release when caught.

Doug Miller

In article , (David Combs) wrote:
So that my glasses don't fall off, I attach one of
these sports-bands (I think that's what they're called).

[snip tale of woe]
Any suggestions?

Contact lenses?

David Combs

The ones I have for my glasses use salvia on the ends. Put the ends on the
glasses and let dry. They hold really well and will release when caught.

Now, do you mean that the instructions tell you to use
saliva, or is it a trick you've found to work?

Thanks!

David

David Combs

In article .net,
David Martel wrote:
David,

snip
I prefer wearing heavy, horn rimmed, safety glasses in sports.

Good luck,
Dave M.

It's not for sports -- just for normal wear.

But I still can't have them falling off -- and breaking,
eg when driving a car.

Thanks,

David

PS: any ideas on *melting* (well, welding, sort of) a bump
into the plastic, so the metal things *cannot* slip back
over it?

David

JM

quoting:
So that my glasses don't fall off, I attach one of
these sports-bands (I think that's what they're called).

[...]

What are you doing when they fall off?

Glasses, when properly fitted will not fall off or slip under normal
activities. They should fit snuggly to the point if you look down they will
hang nicely on the ears. If they are falling off or slippig under normal
activities, then they are too loose. Go to your eye doctor who sold you the
glasses and have them checked out.

David Combs

Thanks for the various advices!

Here's what I finally did:

Went to radio shack, got a reel of 24-guage *un*-insulated
wire (ie, bare wire), nice and thin, and wrapped it around
the grippers, just behind the shoved-up-hard thingie
that makes the gripper grip (each) the arm of the glasses.

Works fine!

Thanks,

David

David Combs wrote:

Thanks for the various advices!

Here's what I finally did:

Went to radio shack, got a reel of 24-guage *un*-insulated
wire (ie, bare wire), nice and thin, and wrapped it around
the grippers, just behind the shoved-up-hard thingie
that makes the gripper grip (each) the arm of the glasses.

Works fine!

Thanks,

David

why not get some duct tape and wrap it around the arms of the glasses
and then around your head.. if it then falls off then something is
wrong...

Replacing gunnel on my canoe (slightly OT) toller Woodworking 21 July 19th 04 05:21 AM
Adjusting audio head on Pana NV-9100 U-Matic Wild Bill Electronics Repair 0 June 12th 04 01:41 AM
BP Round Ram J Head Adapter? dka Metalworking 1 March 17th 04 04:40 AM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM
Fisher cassette heads bg Electronics Repair 5 July 30th 03 05:04 AM