Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Makita RIP

My 14.4v Making Combi died yesterday. Sob!

We have been together over for 4 years, every day, drilling thousands of
holes.

I wish now I hadn't dropped him from a ladder last year, or left him in
the rain before that. He didn't deserve that.

Sadly missed, he went as he would have wanted to, drilling a hole.

I wondered if it might be the brushes? If you pull the trigger nothing
happens, but if you twist the chuck it starts?

Can I resurrect Mr Makita?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

My 14.4v Making Combi died yesterday. Sob!

We have been together over for 4 years, every day, drilling thousands
of holes.

I wish now I hadn't dropped him from a ladder last year, or left him
in the rain before that. He didn't deserve that.

Sadly missed, he went as he would have wanted to, drilling a hole.

I wondered if it might be the brushes? If you pull the trigger
nothing happens, but if you twist the chuck it starts?

Can I resurrect Mr Makita?

You could try spraying some contact cleaner in through the motor
cooling slots and running it .. but be aware it might create a flame or
three to start with! Spray the trigger switch too if you can get close
enough to it.

We used to do this often with electric motors working in dusty or very
dry environments.

If you fancy opening it up, bearing in mind you've little to lose,
check the trigger and it's contacts. One I fixed recently had a
plastic part of the trigger broken, not allowing the trigger to press
the metal strip switch together. Quick repair with epoxy and job's a
good 'un ..

--
Paul - xxx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 May 2011 19:41:03 GMT, "Paul - xxx"
wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

My 14.4v Making Combi died yesterday. Sob!

We have been together over for 4 years, every day, drilling thousands
of holes.

I wish now I hadn't dropped him from a ladder last year, or left him
in the rain before that. He didn't deserve that.

Sadly missed, he went as he would have wanted to, drilling a hole.

I wondered if it might be the brushes? If you pull the trigger
nothing happens, but if you twist the chuck it starts?

Can I resurrect Mr Makita?

You could try spraying some contact cleaner in through the motor
cooling slots and running it ..

But NOT WD-40... :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote in
:

You could try spraying some contact cleaner in through the motor
cooling slots and running it ..

But NOT WD-40... :-)

This may be a silly question but why not? WD40 is the first thing I'd reach
for.

--

All the best,

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 May 2011 19:57:29 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

I wondered if it might be the brushes?

At that age and level of use that would be the most probable cause of
the type of failure you have observed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Medway Handyman
saying something like:

I wondered if it might be the brushes? If you pull the trigger nothing
happens, but if you twist the chuck it starts?

Can I resurrect Mr Makita?

Brushes are cheap enough to find out if that's the cause.
Just take out the old ones for a look, you'll soon see if they're short.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Wilson wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote in
:

You could try spraying some contact cleaner in through the motor
cooling slots and running it ..

But NOT WD-40... :-)

This may be a silly question but why not? WD40 is the first thing I'd
reach for.

'cos WD40 is a basically a water dispersant. Although it's also a
cleaner, it's more likely to create a paste of elecrical/carbon
deposits and feck the motor good and proper rather than dispersing
them. Contact Cleaner cleans off carbon deposits from the brushes/comm
quite easily, but is a solvent with a low flash-point so might
'flame-out' a little ..

--
Paul - xxx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My 14.4v Making Combi died yesterday. Sob!

We have been together over for 4 years, every day, drilling thousands of
holes.

I wish now I hadn't dropped him from a ladder last year, or left him in
the rain before that. He didn't deserve that.

Sadly missed, he went as he would have wanted to, drilling a hole.

I wondered if it might be the brushes? If you pull the trigger nothing
happens, but if you twist the chuck it starts?

Can I resurrect Mr Makita?

Well, it *could* be worn brushes - or a dirty commutator. But it's more
likely to be a duff winding. If it stops with a brush facing that
winding, it won't re-start. Move it round to a different position, and
it's ok. That sounds like your symptoms to me.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 29, 3:07 pm, Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

years ago I ressurected a dying/dead BnD strimmer using the old 12v
toy train "service" trick of raking out the ****e (carbon poss
softened by WD40...) from between the segments of it's commutator with
a pin. Did an entire overgrown garden with it after ;))

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul - xxx" wrote in news:94evcnFg3uU1
@mid.individual.net:

'cos WD40 is a basically a water dispersant. Although it's also a
cleaner, it's more likely to create a paste of elecrical/carbon
deposits

Well I live and learn, thanks for the tip.

--

All the best,

Chris

Makita eal @ B&Q The Medway Handyman UK diy 0 September 17th 09 07:10 PM
2KG Makita SDS+ TheOldFellow UK diy 3 July 15th 09 02:35 PM
Makita LXT Li-Ion [email protected] Home Repair 6 December 27th 05 04:21 AM
Makita LXT Li-Ion [email protected] Woodworking 5 December 27th 05 04:16 AM
makita saw Nick Brooks UK diy 7 February 3rd 04 04:57 PM