Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wireless weather stations

Has anyone experience of such devices?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
www.jimscott.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 May 2011 16:28:45 +0100, Jim S wrote:

Has anyone experience of such devices?

Yes I use one.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 May 2011 16:50:26 +0100, David wrote:

On Thu, 26 May 2011 16:28:45 +0100, Jim S wrote:

Has anyone experience of such devices?

Yes I use one.

Dave

Har de har

Is it useful/accurate and what kind is it?
Do I need one with outside humidity sensor or just temperature?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 May 2011 16:52:26 +0100, Jim S wrote:

On Thu, 26 May 2011 16:50:26 +0100, David wrote:

On Thu, 26 May 2011 16:28:45 +0100, Jim S wrote:

Has anyone experience of such devices?

Yes I use one.

Dave

Har de har

Is it useful/accurate and what kind is it?
Do I need one with outside humidity sensor or just temperature?

http://www.benison.co.uk/Weather/

Have a look here, gives all the info mine puts out. There is a forum link at
the bottom which will have all the information you want.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David presented the following explanation :
On Thu, 26 May 2011 16:52:26 +0100, Jim S wrote:

On Thu, 26 May 2011 16:50:26 +0100, David wrote:

On Thu, 26 May 2011 16:28:45 +0100, Jim S wrote:

Has anyone experience of such devices?

Yes I use one.

Dave

Har de har

Is it useful/accurate and what kind is it?
Do I need one with outside humidity sensor or just temperature?

http://www.benison.co.uk/Weather/

Have a look here, gives all the info mine puts out. There is a forum link at
the bottom which will have all the information you want.

Dave

Same one here and the only problem with it, was the anemometer
disintegrated in the last gales we had. The plastic used for the head
is not very UV proof and after two years use, it had become quite
brittle. Need to make or source a new propeller with the three cups
thingummy.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 May 2011 17:10:27 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Same one here and the only problem with it, was the anemometer
disintegrated in the last gales we had. The plastic used for the head
is not very UV proof and after two years use, it had become quite
brittle. Need to make or source a new propeller with the three cups
thingummy.

Hi Harry

Not had that problem been through 3 NE Scotland winters and "summers" with no
problem. Current problem is a loss of sensor contact. Coincides with a
signal on 145.550 MHz which I have not tracked down!

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Same one here and the only problem with it, was the anemometer
disintegrated in the last gales we had. The plastic used for the head
is not very UV proof and after two years use, it had become quite
brittle. Need to make or source a new propeller with the three cups
thingummy.

Hi Harry

Not had that problem been through 3 NE Scotland winters and "summers" with no
problem. Current problem is a loss of sensor contact. Coincides with a
signal on 145.550 MHz which I have not tracked down!

Dave

I don't want anything so sophisticated, just temperature/humidity sensors
with barometer.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Same one here and the only problem with it, was the anemometer
disintegrated in the last gales we had. The plastic used for the
head is not very UV proof and after two years use, it had become
quite brittle. Need to make or source a new propeller with the
three cups thingummy.

Hi Harry

Not had that problem been through 3 NE Scotland winters and "summers"
with no problem. Current problem is a loss of sensor contact.
Coincides with a signal on 145.550 MHz which I have not tracked down!

I spotted the problem, or lack of, with UV instability ....

"Scotland and Summer" do not = sunlight and UV rays ...

--
Paul - xxx
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

wrote:

Same one here and the only problem with it, was the anemometer
disintegrated in the last gales we had. The plastic used for the head
is not very UV proof and after two years use, it had become quite
brittle. Need to make or source a new propeller with the three cups
thingummy.

Hi Harry

Not had that problem been through 3 NE Scotland winters and "summers" with no
problem. Current problem is a loss of sensor contact. Coincides with a
signal on 145.550 MHz which I have not tracked down!

Dave

I don't want anything so sophisticated, just temperature/humidity sensors
with barometer.

Keep your eyes out for special offers at Aldi or Lidl. A couple of times
a year they'll do indoor/outdoor weather stations for between £10 and
£20; you may find the cheaper ones only do outdoor temperatures, but the
better specced ones do humidity and pressure too and are good value.

Other than those special offers, if you're near Clas Ohlson, they have
quite a range. Check their range online.
http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Siteseek...aspx?q=weather
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May 2011 17:08:51 GMT, Huge wrote:

That's smack in the middle of the FM segment of the radio amateur 144MHz
(aka 2 metre) band. Are you sure it should be transmitting there? And even
if it is, you can't complain about the valid users of the frequency
trampling all over you....

I know exactly where it is I am licensed. Not tracked the signal yet just
monitored it. The Station transmits in the 70cm band as it is allowed to do
(Lower Power Device).

The time the sensor loses contact coincides exactly with the transmission. I
suspect a harmonic but have not traced the source (YET)

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David laid this down on his screen :
Not had that problem been through 3 NE Scotland winters and "summers" with no
problem. Current problem is a loss of sensor contact. Coincides with a
signal on 145.550 MHz which I have not tracked down!

Amateur radio 2metre repeater output channel!

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 May 2011 17:21:49 +0100, Jim S wrote:

I don't want anything so sophisticated, just temperature/humidity sensors
with barometer.

Go with OG's suggestion

Regards
Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David expressed precisely :
The time the sensor loses contact coincides exactly with the transmission. I
suspect a harmonic but have not traced the source (YET)

Local taxi company radio with harmonics?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

I might be missing the point - but wouldn't you want the wind thingyometers
to be up high in the wind, but the temperatur sensor in the shade preferably
on the north side of something?

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

*wrote:

[...]

Yes I have a Lidl one. They do various types from time to time. The
one I have gives barometric pressure, which is reasonably accurate as
compared to the telly and my aneroid, outside and inside temp, inside
humidity, pressure trend and radio clock. It also does max and min. It
was less than £15 and has given good service for more than 2 years
with a single change of battery. I suppose a bit sad, but it gets a
lot of use, especially outside temp!

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 May 2011 20:10:43 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Amateur radio 2metre repeater output channel!

Simplex

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts laid this down on his screen :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

Er, yes - which was why the gales destroyed it.

but the temperatur sensor in the shade preferably
on the north side of something?

Yes - the temperature sensor, hydrometer, radio time code receiver and
transmitter are separate from the above, as is the rain sensor - so you
can mount them away from it in a sheltered spot. The temperature sensor
comes with a crude Stevenson screen, to which I added a second one.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David explained on 26/05/2011 :
wrote:

Amateur radio 2metre repeater output channel!

Simplex

Who are you calling names :-)

You are correct, simplex.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Yes - the temperature sensor, hydrometer, radio time code receiver and
transmitter are separate from the above, as is the rain sensor - so you
can mount them away from it in a sheltered spot. The temperature sensor
comes with a crude Stevenson screen, to which I added a second one.

Ah - that wasn't totally obvious in the picture...

--
Tim Watts