Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weather Stations

Not a repair question, but possibly on topic. I'd like to get a weather
station for home. I'd like it to be able to download info to the computer
and have software as part of the package.

Does anyone have one, or be able to make a recommendation?

Charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2010 9:24 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:
Not a repair question, but possibly on topic. I'd like to get a weather
station for home. I'd like it to be able to download info to the computer
and have software as part of the package.

Does anyone have one, or be able to make a recommendation?

Charles

I have one that connects to one of my computers and then also uploads
every two minutes to one of my domains. You can see it at
http://www.crsales.com/weather.htm . If for some reason you find that it
is not uploading it is probably my fault (I recently changed servers and
may still have some bugs) and not the fault of the weather station
equipment. It is really handy when we are out of the area because we can
not only check to see what the weather is doing back home but we can
also check the inside temperature to make sure the furnace has not quit
for some unknown reason.

It is a LaCrosse brand and you can find them at
http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/ . Don't know the model right now but
will look in a few days (leaving the area for awhile). Come to think of
it, I have another new one just like it in my shop in case a part on
this one ever fails.

If you have additional questions there is an e-mail link on my weather site.

Don (on the run)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-11-17, Charles Bishop wrote:

Does anyone have one, or be able to make a recommendation?

You can buy 3 function weather stations (temp, wind speed, and
direction) for as little as $80 at Wallmart (LaCross) or pay up to $1K
for the quality stuff from Davis. There's plenty of choices to suit
your budget in between.

There's a lotta modular and DIY stuff, too. Check out a one-wire
option if your a linux user and handy with a soldering iron.

http://oww.sourceforge.net/

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Bishop wrote:
Not a repair question, but possibly on topic. I'd like to get a weather
station for home. I'd like it to be able to download info to the computer
and have software as part of the package.

Does anyone have one, or be able to make a recommendation?

Charles

Why do people have weather stations?
I have a "gadget" on my screen that continuously
displays local temperature and weather...along with forecasts
for the next few days. Numerous websites let me look at
all kinds of info. I rarely look at it because I sit near
a window.
Why should I have my own weather station linked to the web?

I did buy most of a weather station at a garage sale.
Every time I set out to install the rain gauge, I looked
at the gauge, the ladder, the wiring...
Then I looked outside and said, "it's not raining. How
much more do I need to know?"
I jumped at the chance to sell it for 10 times what it cost me.
So, somebody wants a weather station.

Having said that, I do monitor temperature and humidity inside, outside,
in the attic, and in the crawl space. But I actually use the information
so I can take action to prevent pipes freezing.

I've gone to a lot of trouble to measure and graph electricity
and gas consumption. Was interesting data for 15 minutes.
But in the end, if I'm cold, I turn up the thermostat. What the
graph says is irrelevant. Every month I get a free report
the gas and electric companies.

What's the other info good for? It's not like you can turn
down the clouds if it's raining too hard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Bishop wrote:
Not a repair question, but possibly on topic. I'd like to get a
weather station for home. I'd like it to be able to download info to
the computer and have software as part of the package.

Does anyone have one, or be able to make a recommendation?

As long as you're using a computer, consider "Weather Bug." It's an
application that downloads data from weather stations continuously. A
"weather station" may be only a few blocks from your home - my displayed
data comes from an elementary school about 1/4 mile away.

Don't cost nothing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote in
:

Charles Bishop wrote:
[...]

Because I want one. Since I'm paying for it that's the only reason I
need.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2010 9:24 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:
Not a repair question, but possibly on topic. I'd like to get a weather
station for home. I'd like it to be able to download info to the computer
and have software as part of the package.

Does anyone have one, or be able to make a recommendation?

Charles

I have a La Crosse weather station. It works, but I am not
really happy with it. Of course before this one I had
a Davis station. The Davis was much better. But much more
expensive. The next time I may try Oregon Scientific. They
are somewhere in the middle in price.

One of the biggest problems I have with the 2 I have had is
the software. I haven't gotten any that was really fully
satisfactory. The La Crosse I have now has software that
is really poor as far as I am concerned. It just sits there
and tells you what the current reading is. I bought a
second source software package that is better than the
Heavy Weather software that came with the station, but
it really doesn't do what I would like. It is still a lot
better than just the Heavy Weather.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-11-17, Red Green wrote:

Because I want one. Since I'm paying for it that's the only reason I
need.

Bingo!

Another reason, despite there being dozens of other existing stations,
none of them are right outside my window and may be far from what I am
experiencing at any given moment. I'm quite rural and the closest
online station to me is an airport 7 miles away. I've manually
measure temps of 15F difference from that airport. I'm also down in a
canyon next to a river. Nothing like the airport up on a windsweapt
plateau.

Another problems is the fact that some of those online weather
networks are all screwed up. On one site I've been to, I enter my zip
code and the site gives the correct zip location for myself, but
provides readings of a mountain pass located 50 miles away and several
thousand feet higher, a pass so remote it's closed most of the Winter.
IOW, totally useless.

As with most things, you get what you pay for. Wanting to try the
brand, I got a LaCross (Walmart) remote temp sensor. It died in 10
mos and was giving readings as much as 10F off. Basically, junk.

As for a reason, like you say, any one will do. The older I become
the more fascinated I become by weather. I used to live in dull hot
two season CA. Now I live in high cold CO (8000ft!), where it snows
and everything and weather changes by the hour. I'm like a kid in a
toy store!

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote in news:aSREo.25504$xb.10420
@newsfe10.iad:

On 2010-11-17, Red Green wrote:

[...]

All those reasons too as well as the idiosyncrasies of anyplace.

... fascinated I become by weather.

Yes. Beats being fascinated by violence, little boys, dope, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2010 10:24 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:
Not a repair question, but possibly on topic. I'd like to get a weather
station for home. I'd like it to be able to download info to the computer
and have software as part of the package.

Does anyone have one, or be able to make a recommendation?

Charles

Unless you live in an extremely remote area, or a strange micro-climate,
there are various networks of amateur, professionals, and government
weather reporting sites that can be accessed for free on the web for
almost all areas. One of the popular ones is called the weatherbug
network. You can also download browser add-ons and other utilities that
let you see real time conditions from The Weather Channel, Accuweather,
and/or other weather services for almost any zip code in the country.

I've found that the real cheap units sold in the big box stores for
$20-$50 are accurate for temperature, but a real joke for humidity. You
probably need to purchase professional quality equipment costing much
more to get something accurate and reliable. Why pay a lot of $$ for
such a device with remote sensing when you can get just as accurate (or
more so) condition reports for your immediate area for free?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Peter wrote:
[...]

OP said he lives in a very remote, kinda diffferent place - I think he
is near the edge of the earth:-))
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:

Why do people have weather stations?
I have a "gadget" on my screen that continuously
displays local temperature and weather...along with forecasts
for the next few days. Numerous websites let me look at
all kinds of info. I rarely look at it because I sit near
a window.
Why should I have my own weather station linked to the web?

Some cut here and there.

Farmers could use the information for irrigation scheduling. They
can use the heating degree day info to judge when a crop is mature.
Besides, weather takes up a good portion of the coffee shop talk. A
farmer would be embarrassed if he can't tell the group how much rain he
got.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a LaCrosse too. Works great

http://esteroriverheights.com/esteroweather.jpg

I've had a LaCrosse WS-2210 for ten years. It is wireless and requires some
fussing when there is an occasional signal loss. If I had to replace it, I'd
probably do something else. But if anyone cares about the weather at my house:
http://weather.douglasjohnson.org

-- Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Gill wrote:

One of the biggest problems I have with the 2 I have had is
the software. I haven't gotten any that was really fully
satisfactory. The La Crosse I have now has software that
is really poor as far as I am concerned. It just sits there
and tells you what the current reading is. I bought a
second source software package that is better than the
Heavy Weather software that came with the station, but
it really doesn't do what I would like. It is still a lot
better than just the Heavy Weather.

You don't say what second source software you have, but you might take a look
at: http://www.weather-display.com/index.php

I've been using it about 10 years and am fairly pleased. It is mostly a
personal project of a farmer in New Zealand (really), so it is a bit
idiosyncratic. But he works hard at it works for most weather stations.
-- Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2010 11:30 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:03:20 -0600, Douglas Johnson

I have a LaCrosse too. Works great

http://esteroriverheights.com/esteroweather.jpg

I've had a LaCrosse WS-2210 for ten years. It is wireless and requires some
fussing when there is an occasional signal loss. If I had to replace it, I'd
probably do something else. But if anyone cares about the weather at my house:
http://weather.douglasjohnson.org

-- Doug

Mine will do wireless but I hard wired it anyway. It seems more
stable.

I know my LaCrosse WS-2210 is more stable when it is hard wired.
As long as the cable is not more than about 30 feet long. Then
it won't work at all.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Gill wrote:

I know my LaCrosse WS-2210 is more stable when it is hard wired.
As long as the cable is not more than about 30 feet long. Then
it won't work at all.

I'm confused. My WS-2210 has no ability to be hardwired. The sensors have no
external connectors, nor does the base station. The manual does not talk about
hard wiring either. -- Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2010 7:10 PM, Douglas Johnson wrote:
Bill wrote:

I know my LaCrosse WS-2210 is more stable when it is hard wired.
As long as the cable is not more than about 30 feet long. Then
it won't work at all.

I'm confused. My WS-2210 has no ability to be hardwired. The sensors have no
external connectors, nor does the base station. The manual does not talk about
hard wiring either. -- Doug

Ok, I take it back. Mine is a WS-2315.

Bill